This game is now available on Steam!

Thanks for your help in getting this game selected for distribution via Steam. More information including a link to the Steam store page can be found below.

Dreamfall Chapters: The Longest Journey
Voodooman Mar 2, 2013 @ 10:19am
GamePad support please! Dont tell me Dreamfall is mouse only!
I heard that game would be purely mouse controlable point and click... PLEASE ADD GAMEPAD support and alternative way to controll character movement, i loved dreamfall controls (well maybe except for "Radar" that allowed to select items), i wish to control movement with left stick and in same time use right stick as cursor, just like in quest by Telltales.
Look at the way it was done in recent tiles such as Walking Dead, i think it was perfect for genre, exceft for HUGE ugly ui with context buttons, which i really wanted to replace by tiny cursor, despite i played with gamepad.
Please do not ignore gamepad crowd.
Before someone ask or start "mouse better for genre" i must say that recently i finished The Longes Journey and Broken Sword 1-2 and almost finished Runaway with gamepad only, using Pinnacle Game Profile, it was no problem at all, except that controls was a little clunky because they was not natively implemented. Native imlementation is no clunky at all, played 2 recent remakes of Monkey island with gamepad - feels pretty good, but not as good as Telltale's recent games such as Walking dead which combines classic mouse cursor precision with free and analogue character movement on gamepad. This style on controls would be perfect for new Dreamfall.
Just please, dont do MOUSE ONLY controls, dont ignore gamepad users.
Showing 1-15 of 16 comments
< >
Vorenge Mar 2, 2013 @ 10:40am 
+1 to GamePad support.
Motoki Mar 2, 2013 @ 12:08pm 
I would also like the option of gamepad support.
Thiaggus Mar 2, 2013 @ 3:44pm 
+1 Gamepad Support for the win!
oddity23 Mar 2, 2013 @ 6:00pm 
Right there with you. I'll never buy another Bioshock game again because of the lack of game pad support for Bioshock 2.
Flyingbox Mar 2, 2013 @ 8:05pm 
Originally posted by oddity23:
Right there with you. I'll never buy another Bioshock game again because of the lack of game pad support for Bioshock 2.
You wanted a game pad for the worst game in the bioshock series? ... or an FPS in general?

Anyway. Dreamfall The Longest Journey had hybrid support with keyboard/mouse and gamepad. I'd like to see the hybrid implementation put back into this one.
But then again, you "heard". Sounds like a rumor. Did the developers say this or was it another user? Chances are it's a fake claim.
CmputrBlu Mar 2, 2013 @ 8:35pm 
I'm sure there will be an option for gamepad control if you REALLY want it :)

Though being a PC gamer I find that the only time I ever consider a game pad is when mouse/keybaord control is awful. Which is usually the case when the game suffers from a big case of "consolitis"

MET0R0ID0 Mar 3, 2013 @ 4:21pm 
Originally posted by oddity23:
me too,+1 for gamepad
HisShadowX Mar 3, 2013 @ 5:15pm 
Yes I have an Xbox 360 Controller I really would like gamepad support
biotek7 Mar 3, 2013 @ 7:58pm 
Considering the changes from TLJ to DF I'd imagine that controller support is a given. I'd prefer the old school adventure style of point & click w/ a minimalist interface (TLJ) over the pseudo-console controls of DF. I see no reason a gamepad can't work with the first style... Anyway, in the current age of gaming it's hard to imagine a major release that doesn't support a gamepad to some small degree.
Voodooman Mar 4, 2013 @ 8:19am 
COD Modern Warfare (yeah its crap since MW2 but its a major release) - no gamepad support, sadly, Bioshock 2 - same sad story, and there are more, so its not hard to imagine. But after bioshock 2, which i have not even finished because of lack of gamepad support, i personally tend to not buy any games that have no gamepad support, and i know a lot of people who would not buy PC games if there is no proper gamepad support, and even they buy, most likely they would avoid playing it due of lack of gamepad contols. People dont like to mess with third party tools and clunky not analogue contols these tools can provide, as well as lack of gamepad UI (yeah i really hate when game that supports gamepad shows me keyboard buttons, many people do).
So it would be really sad and dissapointing if DFC would not have gamepad support, or would have fixed angles and no free exploration like we had in Dreamfall (by the way fixed angles and limited areas in Walking Dead really sucked and was dissapointing, i hope Ragnar's new team would not repeat this mistake and would just combine Dreamfall controls with accurate mouse cursor\gamepad stick aiming.
Kent Standit Mar 5, 2013 @ 8:19am 
As long as it's just an option yeah sure why not....as long as it doesn't cripple the control of the other peripherals , or the game itself.

In my opinion gamepad controls in an adventure game are a pain in the ♥♥♥, the only positive thing is the control over speed of walking. Sure if they still have those combat mechanics that everyone despised, the pad could come in handy as well.

Maybe I don't use them often enough to fully appreciate the controls of a gamepad but in riddles and other mechanics that require the usage of any object in the game(other than the character itself), the control with the mouse feels way more superior.

It's pretty frustrating to scroll to the whole inventory via Next/Back instead of just opening it and click on the item. (see difference :Dreamfall//TLJ) just because some people wanted to use a gamepad and therefore don't have proper control of a cursor.

It's not only the annoying interface, the game itself has to be dumped down because of that reason(exeppt for grim fandango with still had a ton of items in the inventory ^^), although I'm not a big fan of thousands of items in the interface it just gives the opportunity to bigger riddles.

tl;dr: As long as it doesnt cripple the game, give them gamepad support.
Fatziatenebr Apr 26, 2013 @ 2:47am 
I would also like gamepad support, +1 for gamepad please :)
Candesco Apr 29, 2013 @ 3:39am 
Gamepads are good for beat em ups and racegames, but not for adventures. Adventures should be mouse in the first place. Games of nowadays are already too much consolified. It's time to go back to the basics.
So mouse support in the first place and gamepad could then be made optional, if it doesn't harm the game. In any case gamepads should not have the upperhand.
empertet Jul 28, 2013 @ 10:20pm 
I wouldn't worry too much, Ragnar and co have a tendancy to spoil us by actually listening to what we want, after all they reformatted Zoé's model because some people said they preffered the D:TLJ Zoé. Might be worth shooting an e-mail to them and asking if pads are supported (Most games are made using pads from the begining thus support is usually there, except in cases where they strip out the support for no reason *coughSecondSight*cough*).
Voodooman Jul 29, 2013 @ 4:26am 
Lol, 1st of that "some" people who started complaining about Zoe design was me ^_^ Well i hope they will hear my pray for gamepad as well XD But rumors that game is mouse only and with fixed screen angels kinda scarring me, i just want gameplay to be like in dreamfall with all that freedome of 3D but just with additional accurate cursor instead of sonar (however i hope that inventory for gamepad would not have any slow and clunky cursors and will be well controlable via gamepad just as Dreamfall). And i hope there would be more and better stealth than in Dreamfall i liked these sequences a lot but NPC should have better vision cones and hearning radius, also i really loved that i can explore wolrds in Dreamfall which i cant do in TLJ due of 2D backgrounds. I cant see how any of this gameplay possible with classic quest fixed angles and mouse only controls.
Showing 1-15 of 16 comments
< >
Per page: 15 30 50