This is a concept or project early in development

This item is here to gather feedback from the potential customers and begin building a community. If you like this project, feel free to rate it or favorite it. The voting here serves only to give the developer data and reactions and doesn't work toward getting the game distributed on Steam.

The World of ShipAntics
Steky  [developer] Dec 5, 2012 @ 4:23am
Things you'd like to see in a modern adventure game?
What do you think we can do to make a point and click adventure game more exciting for today's audience?
Showing 1-6 of 6 comments
< >
Noyemi K Dec 5, 2012 @ 8:41am 
My suggestion: don't bust it up into episodes if you can help it. That's probably the biggest one. Aside from that, I can't really think of anything modern convenience can add to the adventure genre, since it's still quite a niche category and the people who like its core elements have always liked its core elements and don't really take kindly to things such as streamlining. Though, if it adds to the game without lessening all of the other core elements, it wouldn't be a bad idea (whatever it is).
Steky  [developer] Dec 5, 2012 @ 11:59am 
Yeah we're not sure about the episode model. We don't want to just brake the story up into episodes, just for the sake of it.
We're planning on building as sandbox world that we will update with new "episode" missions.
The idea is that the main characters (Amanda Otto and Captain Fred) live on a ship and work for hire. They are offered missions such as delivering important packages or rescuing stranded fishermen. These missions would be DLC that you can choose to except and download. The would have there own story lines as well as an overarching story line.

That's the big picture but to start it all off we're going to make a pilot game that will be one mission and some side quest stuff.
Noyemi K Dec 5, 2012 @ 12:09pm 
I see. Well, that's basically how an expansion pack works, I don't see a problem in this case.
Steky  [developer] Dec 6, 2012 @ 3:11am 
Its a very good point though, I think people have a negative view of episodic games. I might try to explain that better in our description.
Dizzard Dec 9, 2012 @ 3:04am 
I personally don't mind episodes too much, but obviously it's nicer if they're not separated into episodes.

You could always do something like Phoenix Wright and split them into chapters (within the one game) Although having an obvious divide like that would probably encourage splitting them up somewhere down the line.

The thing with episodic games is that I usually wait until all the episodes have been released and then pick them all up at once in a sale. So it's kinda the same as if they were all released together anyway.

I'm a little confused when you talk about this being a sandbox game. In my mind the adventure and sandbox genres really don't mix. Will there be a day/night cycle? Is the game going to be more like an open world that you're walking around rather than going through a bunch of various static locations (like in typical point & click games)

DLC can have quite a negative view too, not just episodic games. Usually it's because the price is so over the top compared to what you're actually getting in the DLC.
Last edited by Dizzard; Dec 9, 2012 @ 3:14am
Awesome Apostate Mar 4 @ 1:37pm 
I would like to see some replayability. The biggest problem with Puzzle games is that once I solve a puzzle, it's solved for good, and there's little point to returning after that. Perhaps make multiple solutions to the same puzzles, and add a score board to the game, which will encourage disscussion between players about how they solved in the fastest times, or with the best scores., Alternately, some modern adventure games (Back to the Future, The Walking Dead, Wallace and Gromit, Sam and Max) make use of multiple story paths to present different puzzles based on the choice of story progression.
Showing 1-6 of 6 comments
< >
Per page: 15 30 50