Cities: Skylines

Cities: Skylines

Customize your city!
Create and upload new mods and assets to add new buildings, items, and game mechanics to Cities: Skylines. Explore new maps and share save games.
Learn More
bradybrklyn Dec 31, 2017 @ 11:19am
Illumination Map
Could an asset maker create an illumination map for this terrific building? The creator doesn't know how to do it.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=507925667&tscn=1514745721

Thanks in advance.
< >
Showing 1-15 of 17 comments
Mntoes 54 Jan 1, 2018 @ 11:11am 
Its not that straight forward . (Taken a quick look at it) First of all the diffuse map would need to be altered so that not all the lights are not on at once. Next the illumination map would need to be made. it would also look a lot better with a specular map. Just a heads-up.
Last edited by Mntoes; Jan 1, 2018 @ 12:17pm
bradybrklyn Jan 1, 2018 @ 12:01pm 
Thanks for your efforts.
Mntoes 54 Jan 1, 2018 @ 12:18pm 
No problem, it's a nice building and I would like it illuminated myself. It is do-able but I wonder if there would be a problem with copyright? Also forgot to mention it needs an alpha map which is where I have limited knowledge. Does anyone know the ethics/legallity here regarding upgrading a CO building?
bradybrklyn Jan 1, 2018 @ 9:39pm 
I hadn't noticed that the building was from CiM. The European Buildings in the game also come from there. I think CO probably licensed them or bought them outright; when they were originally listed in the Content Manager it caused confusion as they were last up-dated 45 years ago.

At any rate, I've sent a message to co_martsu asking for clarification.
Mntoes 54 Jan 2, 2018 @ 3:31am 
Ah ok ,thanks. If all is ok by CO I may have a go at updating it for CS once I get the hang of Alpha mapping.
bradybrklyn Jan 9, 2018 @ 7:09pm 
I received a response from co_martsu; she says it's up to Paradox as they own all rights to this game and the CiM games. She said she would try to find out. Very pleasant person.
bradybrklyn Jan 10, 2018 @ 4:08am 
I've also sent a message to the Paradox people. Hopefully we'll get a positive resopnse.
bradybrklyn Jan 11, 2018 @ 5:29am 
Received a reply from co_martsu today. She contacted the product manager at Paradox and they have no problem with using CiM assets in CS.

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?conversations/copyright-question.450983/message&message_id=736810
Mntoes 54 Jan 11, 2018 @ 9:20am 
That's good news. The link above gives me this however "The requested conversation could not be found". "I am signed in" The bad news is I have the flu at the moment so it will be a little while before I begin.
bradybrklyn Jan 11, 2018 @ 1:28pm 
I guess I can't link conversations. Here's what it says: "I got an answer from the product manager at Paradox. Please feel free to use the Cities in Motion assets in Cities: Skylines. They don't have a problem with it :)"

We've been waiting since 2015 for an update; a little longer is not a problem. Thanks again and get well.
Last edited by bradybrklyn; Jan 11, 2018 @ 1:28pm
Mntoes 54 Jan 12, 2018 @ 3:45am 
Thanks
Mntoes 54 Jan 16, 2018 @ 3:53am 
Ok, feeling a lot better now. Started work on this and progress is going well. Quick question. Would you like it with or without the "Police sign" I Made?. (I don't mind either way).
My Simtroplolis thread[community.simtropolis.com]. Any thoughts on the Wall to wall sugestion in my thread?
Last edited by Mntoes; Jan 16, 2018 @ 7:58am
bradybrklyn Jan 16, 2018 @ 8:50am 
Glad to here you're well and the project is going well. The Police sign looks fine as it's a rather generic building and could be mistaken for anything. Although most police stations, at least in New York, stand apart for security reasons, some are wall-to-wall. Whatever you choose to do will be fine.

Just one suggestion. The two lanterns on the sides of the entrance should be colored lights usually having the word "police" on them although the colors are different in various countries. It would be green in NYC but any color would do. In the end it's entirely up to you.
Mntoes 54 Jan 16, 2018 @ 10:43am 
Ok thanks. I'm going to start lotting it now, it will not be wall-to-wall. I agree with your reasoning.. Regarding the entrance lights. They are a bit small to show any form of text (that will be readable) I'm going to leave them a generic colour also (tried green but as they are so small it did not look at all good)
Mntoes 54 Jan 18, 2018 @ 1:53pm 
Happy birthday!
Police Staion CIM

The only thing I'm not too happy with is the sign (not very sharp unless you are close-up) To be honest I think I'll use it without the sign. At least it's an option.Who knows maybe I will figire it out one day. Otherwise I'm quite pleased with it.
Last edited by Mntoes; Jan 18, 2018 @ 2:00pm
< >
Showing 1-15 of 17 comments
Per page: 1530 50

Date Posted: Dec 31, 2017 @ 11:19am