Steam Greenlight
My game is almost ready for Android. Is it worth for PC?
I didn't thought till today about this possibility... The problem may be in resolution - 960x640 px., seems quite small for computer displays. But, I'd like to know what you think, may be a sequel will get the chance for HD from its embryonic stage.
Here are my projects:
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=179780231&searchtext=
Thanks for your feedback :)
< >
30 yorumdan 1 ile 15 arası gösteriliyor
I just reviewed a game in 960x600. I feel that on my 24" monitor, it was far too small. (Dev has said there is a fix for this) I appreciate that you may be targeting a small screen, but try and pick a resolution that can be easily scaled up to a 'standard' 16:9 or (less common) 16:10 ratio.

I'm not going to touch 'Mobile vs PC' I'm going to assume you have valid game regardless of the platform.
Aspect ratio for mobile devices and PC in future (?) - its my programmer's work, he will fix it. The main problem that the pictures will remain too small for PC displays without connection to aspect ratio. May be very frustrating to players...
Bingo :) Thanks.
İlk olarak Dmitry tarafından gönderildi:
Aspect ratio for mobile devices and PC in future (?) - its my programmer's work, he will fix it. The main problem that the pictures will remain too small for PC displays without connection to aspect ratio. May be very frustrating to players...

Aspect ratio means that it scales (can be enlarged) to the requested resolution for a PC (presumably fullscreen) without loss or distortion of the image. Here's a list of consumer devices/standards, their resolutions and their Display Aspect Ratio (DAR)[en.wikipedia.org] (Just ignore the non-1:1 PARs unless developing for those devices, I would say)

As long as you support a nominal resolution there should be no problem. For 16:9 aspect ratio your closest resolution to your current would be 960x540. At this resolution, you'd need to rescale or resize your GUI as well.

This topic probably should be in the technical forum for devs - they'd be able to offer much better advice.
En son Psycho tarafından düzenlendi; 19 Eyl 2013 @ 14:23
İlk olarak plzhavmercy tarafından gönderildi:
I mostly see people complaining that games don't have an option for windowed mode. I've never seen someone get upset because they can't fullscreen. I would buy a game at that aspect ratio.

(ooh, double post)

I was at a lan and this guy was playing Starcraft 1 in native resolution (600x400 iirc) on his spanking new Dell 24". His face was about 4" away from the screen as he was squinting at the tiny image. It was hilarious, almost as hilarious as the time we ordered 100 (yes, 100) pizzas, and the poor delivery guys nearly got run down at the door by ravenous teenagers.

Good times.
İlk olarak plzhavmercy tarafından gönderildi:
I mostly see people complaining that games don't have an option for windowed mode. I've never seen someone get upset because they can't fullscreen. I would buy a game at that aspect ratio.
There's more of us than you'd think. Personally I want to use the monitor I paid for, not just half of it. Why should I expect less because of a lazy programmer?
I didn't thought till today about this possibility... The problem may be in resolution - 960x640 px., seems quite small for computer displays. But, I'd like to know what you think, may be a sequel will get the chance for HD from its embryonic stage.
Here are my projects:
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=179780231&searchtext=
Thanks for your feedback :)
You may end up having to make a new version rather than introduce bugs trying to fix everything in your port job. On the other hand, that'll hopefully lead to less hassle from people who find android-pc ports distasteful, so may be a good thing all in all.
Well, guys, I'm only asking and checking what you people think. You are bombing me with technical explanations :) That's fine, and my programmer is not lazy, he has a lot of job to do and it will be done, I'm personally don't understand too much.
Actually, before we working hard on sequel, I just like to know which resolution is fine for further development not only for mobile games, but also for PC and C0untzer0's monitor full size. Aspect ratio is the second deal, but "incoming material" with original resolution is very important. So, render for HD only?
Well, guys, I'm only asking and checking what you people think. You are bombing me with technical explanations :) That's fine, and my programmer is not lazy, he has a lot of job to do and it will be done, I'm personally don't understand too much.
Actually, before we working hard on sequel, I just like to know which resolution is fine for further development not only for mobile games, but also for PC and C0untzer0's monitor full size. Aspect ratio is the second deal, but "incoming material" with original resolution is very important. So, render for HD only?

Well I guess you could say you asked for it by referring to technical term like 'resolution'. We love technical, in-depth conversations, just ask Mindwedge. :)

I guess a better question is to ask 'are you happy to play this game in a window or do you prefer to play in full-screen mode?'

To speak non-technically, here's my perspective as a computer gamer.

Desktop gamers have been spoilt by ever-improving cutting-edge, intuitive and technically amazing games for decades, with evolution and competition weeding out the inferior products in each generation. We're used to full screen gaming, a choice of resolutions, configurable controls and game environments, game mods and extensions, multiple save games (and cloud storage), every visual and audio special effect known to man and (imho either) compelling multiplayer interactivity, or a truly satisfying and immersive single player experience.

Assume for a brief moment I speak (very) generally for all of us. We've spent a considerable amount on our entertainment systems. Some of us spend as much on a video card as an whole mobile device, and our systems are capable of far higher performance than most mobile devices. So, to beat that poor horse once more, when a game designed for mobile use is brought to a desktop, it suffers in comparison. Why should we bother with something that doesn't even meet the standard?

That's the attitude you're facing in the desktop world.

That said, sometimes a game is just a game, and people are happy to accept games on their own grounds as a bit of fun or a diversion. See plzhavemercy above.
En son Psycho tarafından düzenlendi; 19 Eyl 2013 @ 16:06
I'm a little confused, your website seems to keep mentioning that it's 3D but it looks like it's a 2D pre-rendered game (though pre-rendered from 3D scenes). The advice for a 2D pre-rendered game differs greatly from a 3D rendered one, especially if what you are really asking is what resolution to pre-render at rather than what resolution for the game to run at.
Thank you, guys, may be I really mixed too much between the technical questions and the game itself. It not so simple as I thought, so its better "to slide" to the game nature, not its technical issues for PC.
AusSkiller, the game works like 2D, but it was created in 3D software. Because this way I have more control with loactions, animations and I'm better in 3D than 2D. In fact, you can't act inside the game in real time - like constant moving, its the same point&click, but much interactive regarding animations and locations flexibility.
AusSkiller, the game works like 2D, but it was created in 3D software. Because this way I have more control with loactions, animations and I'm better in 3D than 2D. In fact, you can't act inside the game in real time - like constant moving, its the same point&click, but much interactive regarding animations and locations flexibility.
Yeah, but is it 3D rendered in real time or is it pre-rendered? Because they are VERY different things. If it's pre-rendered then it's a 2D game because there is no real interaction with the depth, even if it looks 3D, and your assets are entirely fixed resolution which scales poorly making it harder to support multiple resolutions with a consistent level of quality. If it's 3D rendered in real time then things scale a lot better because only the textures are fixed resolution, the geometric detail remains sharp at any resolution so it's a lot easier to support the many PC resolutions with a consistent level of quality.
En son AusSkiller tarafından düzenlendi; 19 Eyl 2013 @ 22:40
It's pre-rendered, no real time. "real time" only while playing in-game animations.
< >
30 yorumdan 1 ile 15 arası gösteriliyor
Sayfa başına: 1530 50

Gönderilme Tarihi: 19 Eyl 2013 @ 13:02
İleti: 30