Steam Greenlight
Anyway to avoid the $100 fee?
I understand the fee was brought it to avoid bogus games, but is there a way to prove you have a legitimate game for Greenlight without having to pay a fee?
< >
Показване на 1-15 от 47 коментара
You could post it as a concept.
Is it just that you can't raise the fee or do you not believe your game will make it on Greenlight and don't want to waste $100 on it?

I'm afraid there's no way for you to be a 'special case' otherwise everyone would use that excuse to cheap out on the fee and get their games on Greenlight. Of course, Steam isn't the only avenue available to indie developers.
Not really, but if you believe your game is good enough to get through greenlight then you shouldn't have any trouble getting the money for it by setting up an indiegogo or kickstarter project to raise the $100 for submission.
Yeah just set up a kickstarter project, if your game is good enough i'm sure you will be able to raise 100$
During Steam sales they sometimes lower the fee to $50, which I think is silly. Honestly, I think you should be thankful that the fee is only $100. With the amount of crap that's uploaded to Greenlight lately, I'm starting to think it should be more. Bottom line, if your game is worthy of greenlight, the fee should mean nothing. If you are unsure if your game is worthy of greenlight, then it probably isn't and you should post to the concepts section to get some feedback.
You know... I wonder if there is a way to avoid paying Valve.

Because the money does go to charity(I think, it is Child's Play), couldn't a developer give a recent donation receipt to Valve?

This method is a pain for both developers and whoever works on Greenlight, but it might be a potental backdoor method of being voted on Greenlight.

I only bring this up because there is the off chance that a dev might be uncomfortable about releasing his or her credit card information anywhere online. I think it is actually possible to buy games on Steam(thus grants the ablity to talk on the forums) without using a card (by using a Steam Game card). It's a really convuleted way, but...
Последно редактиран от Yuga-Suggah; 18 ян. 2013 в 21:08
Първоначално публикувано от Youth Worship Explosion:
During Steam sales they sometimes lower the fee to $50, which I think is silly.
This is the first time I've heard this. Do you have a link to a Valve press release with them mentioning this discount?

Първоначално публикувано от MisterFour:
I only bring this up because there is the off chance that a dev might be uncomfortable about releasing his or her credit card information anywhere online. I think it is actually possible to buy games on Steam(thus grants the ablity to talk on the forums) without using a card (by using a Steam Game card). It's a really convuleted way, but...
If a developer is concerned about passing financial details to Valve, it's going to make it really difficult for Valve to pay the developer when they sell copies of their game on Steam.
Първоначално публикувано от Youth Worship Explosion:
During Steam sales they sometimes lower the fee to $50

I've never seen or heard anything like that before, so I'm a bit doubtful that it's accurate.
Първоначално публикувано от Skoardy:
If a developer is concerned about passing financial details to Valve, it's going to make it really difficult for Valve to pay the developer when they sell copies of their game on Steam.
Yeah I argee. It is why I said it would a pain on all parties. I mean, Valve can send checks. I think at that point, Valve would have a little discussion with the financial shy dev.

But yeah, the two reasons I suggested is that I know a couple people who do donate regularly, so they have a bunch of those receipts. And the other is that I like looking for alternate solutions even if the alternate is worse : ).
Последно редактиран от Yuga-Suggah; 19 ян. 2013 в 11:25
Първоначално публикувано от C0untzer0:
http://indiegames.com/2012/11/steam_greenlight_fee_discounte.html
It was discounted for about half an hour before the discount was pulled.
Yeah, sounds more like teething trouble with the fee and their sales system rather than an intentional discount. Obviously, not 'sometimes' though, nevertheless.
It really didn't go down well. The people who approved of the fee couldn't see why it was cut, those who didn't couldn't see why it was only cut temporarily. Don't expect it to happen again.
The way it was rescinded within a few hours certainly suggests it was a mistake rather than intentional (and removed with feedback). Valve don't tend to review feedback and react that quickly. It took them nearly a week to introduce the fee in the firstplace despite it being quite clear straight away Greenlight was getting swamped with trash.
It would be nice if they allowed a choice of charities. I've already donated a fair amount to Childsplay through Humble Bundle and other channels and it would be nice to give something to other causes for a change, not least because Childsplay is very US-centric and the rest of the world is no less deserving of charity. They could at least add Amnesty[www.amnesty.org] and Red Cross[www.icrc.org] as alternatives.
Последно редактиран от ND; 20 ян. 2013 в 2:58
Първоначално публикувано от ND:
It would be nice if they allowed a choice of charities. I've already donated a fair amount to Childsplay through Humble Bundle and other channels and it would be nice to give something to other causes for a change, not least because Childsplay is very US-centric and the rest of the world is no less deserving of charity. They could at least add Amnesty[www.amnesty.org] and Red Cross[www.icrc.org] as alternatives.

Yes it seems so stupid ignoramus.
< >
Показване на 1-15 от 47 коментара
На страница: 1530 50

Дата на публикуване: 18 ян. 2013 в 3:00
Публикации: 47