Steam Greenlight
retroquark 2013년 3월 29일 오전 4시 43분
Question re. process for submitting content.
So.. zombie shooter nr. 69, MMO Knockoff 12, as well as Weird Shooter Thing and ART ART ART GAME ART turns up on the mainpage. So does a game that apparently is a resubmitted Nvidia tech-demo with a new label on top.

But somehow a game like Jets'n'Guns won't get through Greenlight, even though there's some thousand comments on the page. Title it'self has been very popular, the soundtrack was made by Machinae Supremacy (read: it's a popular band), and the actual game is high quality, well composed, polished, etc.

Is there some trick to this entire process that Steam/Valve reveals if you ask nicely, that sort of thing? I mean, if they're asking me what I would spend money on, then it's not an overpriced tech-demo or yet another zombie shooter or.. a free to play MMO. Instead it's underrated indie games that never got the exposure they deserved.

So any tips anyone could come up with, to get Jets'n'Guns on the store? Honestly doesn't seem like a technical reason for this not happening, after all. So.. anyone?
< >
8개 댓글 중 1-8개 표시
wilco64256 2013년 3월 29일 오전 10시 10분 
People need to vote for it to get onto the store. Nothing technical about it. It's been on Greenlight for four months and isn't even in the top 100. That tells me that people just aren't interested.
C0untzer0 2013년 3월 29일 오전 10시 20분 
Actually, starting a discussion thread to piss and moan about the process because your favourite game gets subjected to the same rules as everybody else is really helpful and never annoys anyone.
Skoardy 2013년 3월 29일 오후 3시 06분 
Mindwedge님이 먼저 게시:
Release it on Pirate Bay for a bit?
That's still grinding your gears, eh, MW? :)
retroquark 2013년 4월 3일 오전 4시 40분 
Mm. I kind of think it's a combination of the entire greenlight site being a bit difficult to navigate, and the content not really being linked easily to the developer's pages, or being associated with a specific type of release, etc. I'm guessing this makes it a lot easier to click on seemingly finished simple games, instead of neat ideas. The whole "Yes! I would Definitely Buy IT!" thing also promises spam by the truckload if you fail to actually buy the title later as well..

Anyway. I made a collection called "Non-annoying games on Greenlight".
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=136321570

With the target of collecting games up for greenlight that have an artistic presentation above that of a toothpaste-commercial. Favourite and follow, please, or verily the world as we know it will end in fiery damnation and zombie locusts, swarming us all and rotting our brains. Brains!
retroquark 2013년 4월 3일 오전 4시 59분 
Also, if you want your submission on Greenlight mercilessly reviewed - you have but to ask! :D
retroquark 2013년 4월 3일 오전 5시 04분 
Hahaha :)

No, seriously, though. It'll be short reviews, couple of highlights, tips for submitters, rants about people's mothers, things like that.
retroquark 2013년 4월 3일 오전 7시 13분 
My favourite is the part where reviewers swear they've played the game.. and mysteriously stopped playing it where the most popular let's play video on youtube cut off. Right after people reviewing by memory, but not actually saying so. While insisting that their glorious prophetic truth should stand forever, as a historical record of how this particular game affected mankind in it's entirety.

I have not played your game. And the intention was to focus on the presentations on Greenlight. In your case, what jumps at me is: Randomly exploding balls, static/narrow field of vision, huge airs out of track, narrow gates, exhaust pipe boosts, and ♥♥♥♥-signs on the buildings. Freud rejoices in orgasmic joy. Meanwhile the video also plays in half-rate, which is much worse than for example recording it in half resolution and low detail.

So, not going to go in the collection, even if the team's taste in music isn't half bad. Because this is a prime example of what I'm talking about on Greenlight - a game that is presented as if it is a zombie-shooter-gun-masturbation-simulator, even if it's not even nearby a genre that could be presented that way.

What I'm missing is something that highlights the racing feel, the physics and the track design.

(That will be $50, please.. <- that was a joke, promise :p).
retroquark 2013년 4월 3일 오전 9시 28분 
Well.. I also write reviews and articles of different kinds, some paid for, most for free, all about bullsh***. And have tried making it as a writer a few times on my own. So I do know well how ungrateful that process can be. Even if you learn from it yourself, and end up having to adjust your opinion of people in general, and become a bit cynical about both publishers and "select audiences".

But I still don't think that is a good excuse to treat any avenue to promote your product as a way to trick people, or to ride popular tropes as hard as possible.

Because what for example you - and I am simply highlighting you specifically rather than any random and available example across the entire industry here because I'm an insufferable bastard with no conscience whatsoever - are arguing is in a sense that if you can't succeed with a superficial appeal, then you can't succeed at all.

And I think that is wrong for two reasons:
1. It undercuts the possible value of the actual work. We get used to seeing this very often in different parts of entertainment - people pick on their own volition the demo-tapes they believe will appeal to the hit40 lists rather than what they themselves have most confidence in, etc. And then actually adjust their own creative work to fit those expecatations as well.

So when you're addressing a broader audience directly, you
2. fail to hook in the audiences that may actually be there.

And then start to complain about the reviewers and the publisher forces for not picking up your product. Even though that's not really who should be the target here..

Point is that no car-games or racing sim has ever been greenlit on steam. But it's also true that you rarely if at all see racing games just promoted as games about the sense of speed or a battle to win the race. So why not try? Rather than create a presentation that probably isn't actually going to showcase the work you've actually done?

(...the half-rate video thing - happens when you encode variable framerate and the keyframes run under the 30fps limit once in a while. Youtube drops the framerate then.)
< >
8개 댓글 중 1-8개 표시
페이지당 표시 개수: 1530 50

게시된 날짜: 2013년 3월 29일 오전 4시 43분
게시글: 8