The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Find the best mods for your game
Finding and installing your favorite mods is easier than ever before. Mod-makers also enjoy a streamlined process for uploading mods directly to Steam. Click here to learn how.
JetSteele Jul 9, 2014 @ 8:46am
NPC Face Help Needed...
I created a custom NPC which will serve as a quest giver and everything works great. The issue is the creation kit says its missing the facegen data and when I load my esp in game it shows the character as having a white/grey skin tone from the neck up. Can someone help me out and tell me what I'm doing wrong?
< >
Showing 1-6 of 6 comments
JetSteele Jul 9, 2014 @ 9:13am 
P.S. this is my first time making an actor
nannyoggins Jul 9, 2014 @ 9:46am 
Groan the GreyFace bug strikes again! (Plants face in hands and sighs deeply)

You are not alone in this, its an old problem. Just follow these steps;

1) Load your NPC into the CK, alter the face as you wish.

2) Exit out of your NPC char menu and be sure s/he is selected/highlighted in the actor list. Now press ctrl and F4, you will be asked if you wish to export face date, say yes. WAIT!

3) When you get the message that it has exported and not before..save your mod.

You will find (if you look for them) that two new folders have been created holding your mods face data. These will be under;

skyrim/Data/Meshes/actors/character/FaceGenDate/FaceGeom/YourModsName/numbered.Nif
and
skyrim/Data/Textures/actors/character/FaceGenDate/FaceTint/YourModsName/numbered.dds, numbered.tga

Run your game with an old save from before you added your NPC, this is important as bad data can be stored in a save game file. You should now find that your NPC is as normal.

If you wish to upload your NPC to share, you will have to be sure and package the FaceGeom and FaceTint folders in their correct folder structure.
In other words you will have to recreate all the folders in their correct stacking order and add the copied nif,dds and tga files in their correct folders before zipping them with your esp and uploading.

Hope this helps, I struggled for ages with this so I really sympathise!
JetSteele Jul 9, 2014 @ 10:41am 
thank you so much, really helped out!!! :).

Just one last question:
I assume I have to do this for any NPC I make?
Grathagis 7 Jul 9, 2014 @ 11:53am 
In my experience, yes.
JetSteele Jul 9, 2014 @ 12:15pm 
K, thanks :)
nannyoggins Jul 9, 2014 @ 3:05pm 
Yes absolutely or any preset, basically if you make or change an NPCs face or hair, export the files with ctrl F4. Glad to help. ;)
< >
Showing 1-6 of 6 comments
Per page: 1530 50

Date Posted: Jul 9, 2014 @ 8:46am