Steam Greenlight
Dit topic is gesloten
DLC to give extra features?
Hi!

I am developing a small game that I am thinking of putting on Steam Greenlight. I also want to make it so you have to pay a very small amount to get access to multiplayer. Is that possible trough some kind of DLC?

If anyone needs it, I am using the game engine "Unity3D".

Thanks
< >
1-10 van 10 reacties weergegeven
? You want to add what should essentially be a core feature (if you bother to include it at all) through DLC? Something that pretty much needs to be in the game from the start when you develop it...
This sounds like a terrible idea and something that is going to give you a lot of flak from your customers.

What makes you think this is a good diea?
Is this some kind of parody or social commentary on the current state of DLCs? Did not DLC quest make a good enough job at this?
Laatst bewerkt door Gorlom[Swe]; 24 jul 2014 om 13:54
Origineel geplaatst door GorlomSwe:
? You want to add what should essentially be a core feature (if you bother to include it at all) through DLC? Something that pretty much needs to be in the game from the start when you develop it...
This sounds like a terrible idea and something that is going to give you a lot of flak from your customers.

What makes you think this is a good diea?
Is this some kind of parody or social commentary on the current state of DLCs? Did not DLC quest make a good enough job at this?
It was just a example. I know I didn't clarify that but just as an example. I will not have it like that but I would just like to know if it is possible. In other words, unlock some code if they have the DLC.
If you don't know how programming works, you're going to have a bad time here.
Origineel geplaatst door C0untzer0:
If you don't know how programming works, you're going to have a bad time here.
I know how to code and all that. It is just that I am new to Steam development. I've just made simple small games.
The question you're asking is one of general programming function and not one of "steam development".
That should be possible, though you'll probably need to use the SteamWorks API to check that the user has purchased the DLC, and given you are using Unity that will probably require writing a wrapper DLL in C++ so that you can import it into your C# code to access the necessary SteamWorks API functions.

However if you should sell a feature as DLC or not another matter, particularly if you are gating a feature like multiplayer. Most consumers are going to be unhappy to learn that the game they bought is not the full game and that they have to pay more for features they think should be included in the original price, especially if you are using an existing engine that already includes that feature. I'm not saying don't do it, but you need to think long and hard about whether it's worth losing a lot of positive word of mouth (and consequently sales) over the relatively small additional income from the DLC. Usually for a major feature people will be expecting like multiplayer it's better to just increase the price a little and include it in the base game, the small price increase wont turn away many sales and you wont get a heap of people being upset over selling an "incomplete" game and trying to "scam" people into buying what should have been included in the base game.
Laatst bewerkt door AusSkiller; 24 jul 2014 om 14:13
Well I've got my answers and all I need to know. Thanks

And for anyone curious, this was my plan from the beginning.
Make a free game that had singleplayer (this is a quite small game too). Then sell the DLC for like 1$ or something so they could have multiplayer.

But now after reading your comments, I think it should be smarter to sell the whole package for a very small price.
Origineel geplaatst door The Lord:
Make a free game that had singleplayer (this is a quite small game too). Then sell the DLC for like 1$ or something so they could have multiplayer.
If that's the case you could make the single-player version the demo and just sell the full thing, you'll get very little complaints (if any) about that since people expect the demo to be limited and a lot of people will actually praise you for having a demo since that's becomming a rarity these days.
Origineel geplaatst door AusSkiller:
If that's the case you could make the single-player version the demo and just sell the full thing, you'll get very little complaints (if any) about that since people expect the demo to be limited and a lot of people will actually praise you for having a demo since that's becomming a rarity these days.
That might be the wisest thing anybody's EVER said in these fora.
< >
1-10 van 10 reacties weergegeven
Per pagina: 1530 50

Geplaatst op: 24 jul 2014 om 13:43
Aantal berichten: 10