5987 ratings
Better Dynamic Snow
Rate  
Favorite
Favorited
Unfavorite
File Size:
Posted:
Updated:
22.456 MB
Feb 24, 2012 @ 10:36am
Feb 13, 2013 @ 1:32pm
7 change notes ( view )

Subscribe to download: Better Dynamic Snow

Subscribed
Unsubscribe
In 1 collection by Vortikai
Graphical Essentials
19 items
Description
A mod that changes the ugly, pure-white dynamic snow effect to actually use the default snow texture (landscape\snow01.dds). This minor change greatly improves the visual appearance of dynamic snow.

There are about 1070 total objects that Skyrim applies "Dynamic Snow" to (not actually dynamic but a static shader effect). This applies a pure-white color on the object. The result is sometimes nice but more often the result is a very ugly "white-washed" appearance as if someone took white paint and plastered it on the objects. Smaller, more complex objects with curves and angles tend to look decent with the vertex-based snow, but large, flat surfaces like floors tend to look absolutely terrible since they appear nearly pure-white, totally obscuring the underlying texture.

The better method is to apply an actual snow texture to the object surfaces. The problem is there is a serious engine limitation that doesn't allow a texture to be applied on top of part of a mesh that already uses an alpha transparency. This is most likely why Bethesda didn't use the actual snow texture method.

Better Dynamic Snow (BDS) version 1.0 to 1.6 basically changed all 1070 objects to use the snow texture, which looked great but resulted in many objects missing the dynamic snow entirely because of the alpha transparency issue.

Therefore, version 2.0 of Better Dynamic Snow only applies the snow texture to almost exactly 60% of the 1070 meshes and leaves the other 40% with the pure-white-vertex snow. We went through all 1070 objects one by one and changed only those that wouldn't result in missing snow. The good news is almost all of the worst-looking-vertex-snow objects now use the snow texture.

Key Features:
• Makes snow in Skyrim look like actual snow
• No performance loss
• Compatible with other snow mods
• No known incompatibilities with other mods

Current Version (2.20) Changes:
- Enabled BDS on farmhouses, settlement stores and bars. Not sure why this wasn't enabled before because it looks okay.
- Gave the snow shader some properties it was missing (reverted some old changes).
- Removed now defunct entries for static objects in .esp.
- Updated .esp and made it also Update.esm reliable.

Troubleshooting & Help:
I cannot offer help on the Steam Workshop. You'll have to get support from the Skyrim Nexus which is linked below.

Skyrim Nexus Link:
http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/10383

Credits:
SparrowPrince - Founding Developer
Brumbek - Lead Mesh Developer
Dead Man Playing - Steam Workshop Maintainer

Disclaimer:
Uploaded to Steam Workshop with SparrowPrince's permission. Better Dynamic Snow may be removed at any point SparrowPrince or Valve wishes. Better Dynamic Snow is installed, ran and/or updated at one's own risk. Better Dynamic Snow is not accountable for any contaminated save game files, so remember to make back-up saves when testing out any new modification(s). Please see the Skyrim Nexus page linked above to view additional licensing and permission information.
372 Comments
< >
dead_lincoln Mar 13 @ 2:36am 
Public-Man Mar 12 @ 9:05pm 
Does this decreace FPS?
Vrolok Mar 7 @ 5:54pm 
@Prim: The Proper, your FUNNY!
Vrolok Mar 7 @ 5:52pm 
Vortikai and Vrolok have cool names!!! Hey Vortikai, does that name mean something "evil cool", as well?
Legión Mar 7 @ 11:03am 
@Shady Lurker: The author has compiled a lot of his mods into only one of them and named it the Ruffled Feather. BDS is now a part of it.
Shady Lurker Feb 28 @ 2:58am 
What happened to it on Nexus?
Bisho Bo1a -Esp- Feb 25 @ 10:35pm 
hit LIKE please and tell everyone to LIKE it too please! ty!111
now LIKE this set to help us to be added at dota2! thanks!
~-A R C A N A Phantom Lancer set! A R C A N A Phantom Lancer set-~
~LIKE~ ~LIKE~ ~LIKE~ ~LIKE~ ~LIKE~ ~LIKE~ ~LIKE ~LIKE~ ~LIKE~ ~LIKE
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=377666181 ~LIKE ~LIKE~
LIKE please this arcana Phantom Lancer set! thank you! ~LIKE ~LIKE ~LIKE ~LIKE ~
~LIKE~ ~LIKE~ ~LIKE~ ~LIKE~ LIKE~ LIKE~ LIKE~ LIKE ~LIKE~ LIKE~
~-A R C A N A Phantom Lancer set! A R C A N A Phantom Lancer set-~
il Nazionale Feb 25 @ 11:45am 
Hi, Vortikai. Sorry for writing to you here, but I don't know how to contact you otherwise. May I ask you why you aren't on Nexus anymore? And, more importantly, are you planning to come back there? Thank you
ThatOneGuyWhoShootsStuff69x Feb 25 @ 4:09am 
What load order does it need to be in, because its not working for me?
Prim: The Proper Braixen Feb 20 @ 4:32pm 
I actually just realized. If you add "Mod" at the end of this it will say "Better Dynamic Snow Mod" "B.D.S.M"