Random friend request from "Level 0" Steam users who's profiles are set to "Private"
Hey everyone out there using Steam. If you are receiving random messages or friends requests for no reason all of a sudden and their details are hidden from you and are "Level 0".

These people wish to do you harm, they send you a friends request with hopes of trading items from your inventory. They send you 2 message in total, the first message contains what they want. The second message is a link to a picture of "THE IMAGINARY ITEMS THEY WANT TO TRADE". DO NOT VIEW THE LINK THEY POSTED!!!! 100% of the time it contains a VIRUS with intent to destroy or steal your personal information or destroy your computer.

Please look at the persons profile before you do anything. If they are a "Level 0" with their profile set to "Private" do not respond to them unless you know the (user / person) personally. I cannot stress this enough. These people have been ruining my time while I am trying to enjoy playing a nice game with friends. These "Level 0" "Private profile" users almost always have an account name that is 1 word. I am unsure if these are bots with intent to do harm or steal your private credentials, I am really not sure. But I do know this.

If you can, report them to Steam as harmful Virus link senders. Take a note of each and every one of their profile names that you encounter. If you cannot do this. Still take note of their profile name, and post it here on this page if you wish to do so. Always Ignor these requests if you are getting annoyed by them, unless as I mentioned above, only unless you personally know the user and are able to contact them to make sure that is them.

:stop:
Last edited by D3athBlad3101; Apr 19, 2015 @ 6:53am
< >
Showing 1-15 of 29 comments
FFL2and3rocks Feb 25, 2015 @ 4:44pm 
Originally posted by D3athBlad3101:
Below is what I changed my account summary to because I am so pissed off at those people.

Your profile is private, so that won't do much good. :heff:

So please. Copy their name, paste it in this discussion

That's not allowed.... keep in mind that many of these phishers are victims who had their accounts stolen, and are now being used to phish even more.

Also, I should mention that they aren't really level 0, it just says that because their profiles are private. You appear to be level 0 to me. Are you a bot?
Last edited by FFL2and3rocks; Feb 25, 2015 @ 4:47pm
D3athBlad3101 Feb 25, 2015 @ 4:45pm 
dron
D3athBlad3101 Feb 25, 2015 @ 4:46pm 
Anita
D3athBlad3101 Feb 25, 2015 @ 4:47pm 
These two I have blocked, they are Virus link people. By the way. My profile is set to friends only. A common misconception. Besides would a scammer have over 150 items in their Steam account?
FFL2and3rocks Feb 25, 2015 @ 4:49pm 
My profile is set to friends only.

"If you want to add me as a friend" implies that you expect people who aren't already your friends to read it. :plushie:

Besides would a scammer have over 150 items in their Steam account?

Of course. That's how they get them.
Last edited by FFL2and3rocks; Feb 25, 2015 @ 4:50pm
D3athBlad3101 Feb 25, 2015 @ 4:58pm 
If you are just referencing certain lines of text, then yes and no. The message at the bottom was meant to stop a dishonest person friends requesting me and then sending me another damn virus link. A few close friends of mine have almost had their credentials stolen from the very people sending links to view "items for trade". I myself have have malware pour into my computer on 2 seperate occasions from the very profile names I have just posted.
FFL2and3rocks Feb 25, 2015 @ 5:01pm 
The message at the bottom was meant to stop a dishonest person friends requesting me and then sending me another damn virus link.

Bots don't read.
D3athBlad3101 Feb 25, 2015 @ 5:01pm 
So if, I am meaning a major if. Say someone has had their account stolen. As you have mentioned.

"That's not allowed.... keep in mind that many of these phishers are victims who had their accounts stolen, and are now being used to phish even more."

Why then should I accept yet another potential threat to myself of my private computer?

D3athBlad3101 Feb 25, 2015 @ 5:06pm 
???
D3athBlad3101 Feb 25, 2015 @ 5:34pm 
?
FFL2and3rocks Feb 25, 2015 @ 5:39pm 
Of course you don't have to accept any threats, just don't click on their links. Naming them here is pointless, though. You don't know who's really sending them.
Also imagine how many witch hunts would be popping up everywhere if it was okay to name them here. :nftd_scared:
Last edited by FFL2and3rocks; Feb 25, 2015 @ 5:40pm
D3athBlad3101 Feb 25, 2015 @ 5:58pm 
The term witch hunt isn't the case here. It is to avoid any know threats. These two I posted are known threats. There have been 4 more but to avoid any more of the same scenarios I have just ignored them. Why else would anyone receive random invites from a person or persons they have never met. For example, you accept them. They want to trade. They send you a link. You persue the link. Oh ohh. Virus. Will it take someone up to the point of a virus threat to avoid them and report them. I have never once, nor has anyone I have ever met been receiving these "trade requests" out of the blue. Untill very recently. All of a sudden in the last month. Same story. Here's a link to a picture of my trade offer. Why not just let everyone view their inventory when they become friends. Like the average person would. Why else would they send a link? As soon as you accept their friends request they can see your inventory if you're profile is set to do that. Why won't they let us view theirs. It take under 20 seconds to do both. View their inventory or to view a virus link. But the difference is. They don't let you view their profile even after the accepting the friends request.

So hows about we all start accepting all of these unknown friends requests, lets all see their messages, and the moment they mention an internet link to trade. Report them. Problem Solved.
FFL2and3rocks Feb 25, 2015 @ 6:05pm 
The term witch hunt isn't the case here. It is to avoid any know threats. These two I posted are known threats.

Maybe you're lying about these people sending you links because you have a grudge against them for whatever reason, and you just want to drag their reputation through the mud.

Or maybe you're telling the truth. But I'm sure other people would love to spin such a story, and plenty of people would be gullible enough to believe them.
D3athBlad3101 Feb 25, 2015 @ 6:15pm 
If you have been a victim of the forementioned topic. Then you know it is true. I have created this thread to aleart people and explain what the best course of action to take. Not to take critisism. If this advice helps someone then that is great. But draging this discussion around in circles is not helping anyone. It is just a waste of time and energy. If this scamming has not happened to you then you will not understand the point of this thread.
alundra009 Feb 25, 2015 @ 6:26pm 
Here is my proof for that matter. 02/26/2015

http://steamcommunity.com/discussions/forum/7/617328967244680230/
< >
Showing 1-15 of 29 comments
Per page: 1530 50

Date Posted: Feb 25, 2015 @ 4:36pm