S-killz Apr 2, 2014 @ 4:19pm
Steam's Survey
Just to tell every one than steam is picking personnal informations in their survey.

For example, softwares installed on your pc.

I saw that and I stopped it.

This is sneakly picked automaticly without telling you, you have to scroll down to see it.

With all the problem and the issues they got ; hey could have been trying to improve the community and start being honest...
But I guess it's still better to think to money money money again again again and more more more.

Cya guys.

A bored steam user.
< >
Showing 1-15 of 15 comments
FFL2and3rocks Apr 2, 2014 @ 4:26pm 
I wouldn't call it sneaky just because you have to scroll down. Are you new to computers?
Last edited by FFL2and3rocks; Apr 2, 2014 @ 4:26pm
S-killz Apr 2, 2014 @ 4:33pm 
You don't need to be new to care about this kind of things ?
By the way, If I was new I would think they have a good reason to pick theses informations...
Last edited by S-killz; Apr 2, 2014 @ 4:34pm
Fork_Q2 Apr 2, 2014 @ 4:40pm 
Originally posted by S-killz:
You don't need to be new to care about this kind of things ?
By the way, If I was new I would think they have a good reason to pick theses informations...

Knowing what hardware and OS you are using would pretty helpful to Valve I imagine. I don't mind they know, glad they do as a matter of fact.
Fork_Q2 Apr 2, 2014 @ 4:41pm 
Also a good way of knowing when you should upgrade your rig:
http://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey
S-killz Apr 2, 2014 @ 5:31pm 
why ? they'll ask devellopers to make smaller games ?
please...

and i wasn't talking about theses elements anyway
Fork_Q2 Apr 2, 2014 @ 5:36pm 
You can't think of a reason why user's hardware might be important for them to know?

Which parts do you object to?
OP said "software" not "hardware". There's a world of difference there.
However, filling out the survey is optional, in fact I've never even seen one pop up, so why is this a worry? Don't fill it out, don't give out information you aren't comfortable with, it's that simple.
Here we go again. If you don't want to give the information, just exit the window. At least Valve asks you for permission unlike a huge lot of other companies.
Last edited by Τhe Rolling Cheese Wheel; Apr 2, 2014 @ 6:11pm
Originally posted by Τhe Rolling Cheese Wheel:
Here we go again. If you don't want to give the information, just exit the window. At least Valve asks you for permission unlike a huge lot of other companies.

*cough* facebook *cough*

Oh, yeah, sure they ASK for ... some of it.
Ask as in, endlessly badger every time you log in for more personal info.

But some of it they take without telling you, like every word you ever say in your fb "private" chats.

Fox Apr 3, 2014 @ 1:42am 
Originally posted by S-killz:
Just to tell every one than steam is picking personnal informations in their survey.

For example, softwares installed on your pc.

I saw that and I stopped it.

This is sneakly picked automaticly without telling you, you have to scroll down to see it.

With all the problem and the issues they got ; hey could have been trying to improve the community and start being honest...
But I guess it's still better to think to money money money again again again and more more more.

Cya guys.

A bored steam user.
It's an opt-in feature which require your acknowledgment (that you can rightfully deny), so, it's not the best way to think money, in my opinion. If I wanted to sell your info and controlled Steam, you wouldn't be aware of this at all.

The software listing is needed because of some software which can cause incompatibilities with some Steam functions (full list here). That way, if users with the same single software report consistent issues, it's a safe bet that this software is incompatible. Ditto for games, which require sufficient hardware and software, the latter being always neglected.

EDIT : typo
EDIT2 : Edited, thanks to SHODAN's advice.
Last edited by Fox; Apr 3, 2014 @ 1:59am
Originally posted by Fox:
That way, if users with the same set software report consistent issues, it's a safe bet that this software is incompatible.

Part of the reason computers are such a pain in the *@# is because of the extreme unlikeliness that any given two people will have to same set of software. ;)
Fox Apr 3, 2014 @ 1:58am 
Originally posted by I AM SHODAN!:
Part of the reason computers are such a pain in the *@# is because of the extreme unlikeliness that any given two people will have to same set of software. ;)
Oops. I meant about having the same SINGLE software, but I worded it badly.
Thanks for letting me know.
Oops. I meant about having the same SINGLE software, but I worded it badly.
Thanks for letting me know.

I blame Windows. >.>
Fork_Q2 Apr 3, 2014 @ 1:59am 
That way, if users with the same set software report consistent issues, it's a safe bet that this software is incompatible.

Actually yes, there is a high chance any two people would have some same software. For example, nearly everyone here has Steam installed :-)
Originally posted by Fork_Q:

Actually yes, there is a high chance any two people would have some same software. For example, nearly everyone here has Steam installed :-)

Oh yes, some. But what that said to me was all of the same software (which has been clarified as a bad wording). That would be nigh impossible to find unless you happen to find two computer users who operate with only the bare minimum of software. There are more programs out there than anyone is able to even count.

Originally posted by Muppet among Puppets:
Part of the reason computers are such a pain in the *@#
They arent.
Just supports let it appear that way.

With so many developers, multiple complicated operating systems, different hardware and therefore drivers and other associated software, games, applications, and other programs, it is indeed a huge pain in the *#@. Tech support is a harrowing, frustrating job and I have to respect anyone with the marbles to do it on a daily basis because of all of these factors.
< >
Showing 1-15 of 15 comments
Per page: 1530 50

Date Posted: Apr 2, 2014 @ 4:19pm