Dieses Thema wurde geschlossen
Account Hijack Alert (PLEASE READ)
Fellow Steam users,

I'm not sure about you, but this has happened to me twice in two days. On those two separate occasions, one Steam user sends me a friend request. Because I post trades on TF2 Outpost, I suppose he wants to trade with me so I add him. After I add him, he sends me a message to add someone who wants to trade with me, and he provides a link to that user's "Steam profile." Those links seem legitimate, but upon closer examination, one can see that those links are fake.

I'm pretty sure that link leads to a fake Steam site that requests your password and user id to log in and add that particular "user." Please do not click on such links and type in your account information into the linked website as this could lead to the hijacking of your account. I think those accounts that sent me those links were hijacked by this fake link tactic. Please, if you ever receive similar messages, do not click on the link and type your account information into the linked website. If you did, immediate change your account password and report the user who sent you the link.

How do I know this is a hijack attempt? Firstly, it is illogical for a Steam user A to tell Steam friend B, "Please add this Steam user C and tell him to add me so I can trade with him." Why doesn’t Steam user A just add Steam user C directly and trade with him? Secondly, the message is obviously automated. The sender of the link doesn't respond when you reply and sends exact copies of the same message every time he comes online (At least that happened for me). In the both instances involving two different users, the message was almost exactly the same, but the fake links were a little different. Thirdly, the links sent to me were definitely fake. If you check on the official Steam website, the link for the official Steam Community site is "steamcommunity.com". Any other supposed "Steam Community" links are fake. One link that was sent to me was “steammcommunity” with an extra “m” in front of “steam.” But of course, many different links that resemble the real link will be sent out, so be on the lookout.

To conclude, I would like to say that I really enjoy being in the Steam community and playing games with fellow Steam users. I feel it is my responsibility to point out these latest account hijacking attempts by unscrupulous hackers. Similar tactics to hijack accounts have happened before on sites like Twitter. As previously mentioned, always be vigilant and don't be too trusting of people who send you weird links. For all you know, they could be trying to gain access to your account.

Signing off,
ChemoReload™

Zuletzt bearbeitet von UnFaZeN™; 9. Juli 2014 um 6:23
< >
Beiträge 16 von 6
Acey 3. März 2014 um 0:26 
You are not the first to post a phishing link or at least try to help people with that information.
So please remove that link, so people can't accidently click on it.

Recards Dark Ace
Zuletzt bearbeitet von Acey; 3. März 2014 um 0:27
Alright sure.
Ursprünglich geschrieben von Muppet among Puppets:
People come here when its too late, or they allready know the basic rule of the internet:
NEVER log into given links.
Yeah true. I totally agree. But this is just a precaution. Posting such notices as this is better than doing nothing. :)
Report the link to a mod, they will get the site taken down.
:D:
samco 9. Juli 2014 um 4:41 
man this happens to me all the time maybe like 4 times a week i hope someone does anything about this...
Ursprünglich geschrieben von ChemoReload™:
Those links seem legit
People who fail to read links will most likely not read your text.

ANY given link can be considered as not legit. So never log into them.
"Seems legit" is a sarcastic expression
< >
Beiträge 16 von 6
Pro Seite: 1530 50

Geschrieben am: 3. März 2014 um 0:22