Alle discussies > Steam-forum > New to Steam > Details van topic
Explain The Trading Cards To ME
...like I'm 5 years old. I'm obviously missing something.

So I understand that a bunch of games on Steam awards these trading cards when you play the games. From what I can see though only a few of the cards that are available can be had by playing the games themselves. Where exactly does Steam expect people to get the remaining cards? Are we really expected to purchase them? Is that the point of all of this? A money making scheme? And once you have a set what do they give you besides an achievement of sorts? I've heard something about coupons but even if that's the case don't you have to sort of pay for these coupons if you have to purchase missing cards?

Some how I've some how managed to get cards for games that I don't even have and have never played before.
Laatst bewerkt door Jawaka; 24 aug 2013 om 22:28
< >
1-10 van 10 reacties weergegeven
Origineel geplaatst door Jawaka:
Where exactly does Steam expect people to get the remaining cards?

The clue is in the name. They are called trading cards for a reason.

And once you have a set what do they give you besides an achievement of sorts?

You get a badge for collecting a set. If you are not interested in getting badges just sell the cards and ignore the badge system.
And once you have a set what do they give you besides an achievement of sorts? I've heard something about coupons [...]

When you complete a set beside the badge you get some other objects: a game-themed background for your profile (which you can sell), a game-themed emoticon to be used in the chat (which you can also sell) and a coupon for a game (I think a random game within a restricted list). Beside this you also gain experience, the more experience, the higher possibility of receiving trading cards for free.

In conclusion, not that much, but if you sell the cards from one game and then use what you have earned to complete the set of another game than it can be just a sort of cost-free mini-game. :P
Laatst bewerkt door Stefano XVII; 25 aug 2013 om 1:02
If you're questioning why other people want cards - well that's a question nobody can really answer. Some people will pay others for anything. Explain why people buy "designer" gear, or headphones from a celebrity, etc. You can't.

If you're questioning what you should do with the cards because you're not one of the above, well... sell them. Since trading cards were in Beta, I've just left card-earning games running on my computer, got the cards, and then sold them off on the market. It's a guaranteed way to make money at the moment. Not hundreds of pounds, but not a pittance either.

500 games on my account. Let's say 50 are eligible for cards. Let's say they have 3 cards each. And let's say the cards sell for £0.10 each. That's £15 for doing absolutely nothing but playing games you already play, loading up games you don't play (and I've even worked out that if you run game X first, then Alt-Tab, and run game Y, you will earn cards for game X while playing game Y...), and then clicking "Sell" in your Steam Market page.

In actual fact, with foils and the number of games, I've made a lot more than that. I have NO IDEA why people want them, or why they pay for them. But I've bought myself at least 4 full price games in the last couple of months from the Wallet credit I got by doing nothing more than leaving a game open in the background while I do other things.

(Hint: This also suggest that at each stage, people are willing to pay that same amount of money to me for those cards. And steam cream off a small percentage as profit. For doing nothing more than putting some artwork on a card page and letting people trade them. Not a bad deal for Steam, not a bad deal for those who DON'T want cards, and I assume the people who do want them are happy to pay for them... so who's really losing out here? I've made more money from trading my cards than Steam have!)
I guess I'm questioning the benefit of collecting them. If doing so would earn me coupons that could save me money on other Steam games then I see the benefit but if it's just a status symbol per say then I guess I'd be more likely to just ignore them.
Are we really expected to purchase them? Is that the point of all of this? A money making scheme?
You seem to have everything figured out by yourself just fine.
Is steamcardexchange.net a legit method for trading cards? Whenever I hear the word bot I instantly think trojans or crapware.
sounds fishy for sure
theyre pree gey
< >
1-10 van 10 reacties weergegeven
Per pagina: 1530 50

Alle discussies > Steam-forum > New to Steam > Details van topic
Geplaatst op: 24 aug 2013 om 22:26
Aantal berichten: 10