Carltacular Jan 15, 2014 @ 12:36pm
migrating from PC to Mac
I am about to get a mac instead of my PC. Some of my games exist for Mac, but do I need to re-purchase the games or do I have them for mac also?
< >
Showing 1-15 of 19 comments
AspyrRyan Jan 15, 2014 @ 1:21pm 
If they are labeled as SteamPlay on Steam, you'll be able to play the Mac version without rebuying them.
Carltacular Jan 15, 2014 @ 2:05pm 
Thanks you for the answer.
Rosebud Jan 15, 2014 @ 2:10pm 
It's super nice I switch between games on my mac and 2 pc I have.
Alt-Knight Jan 15, 2014 @ 6:06pm 
Like Ryan said, its really easy and convenient to not have to buy it again. Especially in my case where i have a desktop pc and a macbook for on the go gaming lol
The Dien Jan 15, 2014 @ 10:55pm 
if you use a controller for any of your games on PC, prepare for NONE of them to work in Steam big picture. I love Steam, I love mac and have been a mac user for 20 years...sadly controller compatibily is horrible. I'm about to install windows on my mac so I can have a more pleasurable experience w/ controllers using Steam. :(
mitchchris11 Jan 16, 2014 @ 2:52pm 
no, but ive just switched and i didn't check what wasnt available, bad move, but still playing on pc and mac, worth the movie mac is so much better.
RancidSeoul Jan 16, 2014 @ 6:43pm 
Can always run windows on your mac too.
Originally posted by AspyrRyan:
If they are labeled as SteamPlay on Steam, you'll be able to play the Mac version without rebuying them.
Not true. some games have steamplay and work on windows and linux but not mac.
Carltacular Feb 9, 2014 @ 6:32pm 
guys, as I said I would migrate to Mac ... so I did, but I noticed one thing. Some of my save files and progress ain't there for me.
KaronatoR Feb 9, 2014 @ 7:49pm 
You have them for Mac too. You bying a license, and then you can play this game on windows and if it is available - on Mac and Linux.
Carltacular Feb 10, 2014 @ 6:47am 
But all my characters for Borderlands 2 are gone ..
Originally posted by Charles:
Not all games use Steam cloud. So not all your games sync. Duh. Remember the days when you had to start over on a game if you played it on a new PC? New gamers these days...
Last edited by Despicable Me News Anchor; Feb 10, 2014 @ 1:09pm
ุ็ Feb 10, 2014 @ 1:41pm 
You have to check the store page for your games. If the game has both a Windows and Mac sign it should be fine to migrate. I am not sure what SteamPlay is exactly, but it usually is Steam Play if it's universal. Any games that don't have the Mac symbol you unfortunately cannot play on Mac. If all your games were properly synced with the steam cloud and all local content was transfered, it should be fine. I guess your Borderlands 2 wasn't synced properly since it wasn't on steam cloud. If local content is tranfered and it is a mac game, you're set to go! Hope I helped!
ุ็ Feb 10, 2014 @ 1:44pm 
Originally posted by The Dien:
if you use a controller for any of your games on PC, prepare for NONE of them to work in Steam big picture. I love Steam, I love mac and have been a mac user for 20 years...sadly controller compatibily is horrible. I'm about to install windows on my mac so I can have a more pleasurable experience w/ controllers using Steam. :(
You should use this program called "Parallels". It is so easy to switch from Mac to Windows. To change you either launch the Parallels application and it will send you to your Windows. Either that or you can keep Parallels Windows running on another desktop and switch using Mission Control. Parallels is around $80.00 but it is totally worth it and easy to use. I am a user myself.
AspyrRyan Feb 10, 2014 @ 4:00pm 
Originally posted by Charles:
The Steam Cloud for Borderlands 2 is not cross platform, due to the occasional out of syncs. You'll have to manually move your saves to Mac.
< >
Showing 1-15 of 19 comments
Per page: 1530 50

Date Posted: Jan 15, 2014 @ 12:36pm