just fred Apr 19, 2015 @ 2:00am
Getting a new harddrive - Need some advice
Hey, my current old (very very old) HDD is slowly but surely starting to fail, atleast I think so because it's getting really slow and noisy so I want a new harddrive. I want to try out a faster one, so I've looked into getting an SSHD due to it's large capacity and faster reading speed compared to a HDD but at the same time I feel like I'll be missing out by not getting an SSD. So my question is, can I use an SSD for system and then an SSHD for general storage? Is there any risk at all to doing so or is it a much better idea getting only and SSHD or getting an SSD + new HDD?
Last edited by just fred; Apr 19, 2015 @ 2:01am
< >
Showing 1-5 of 5 comments
Azza ☠ Apr 19, 2015 @ 2:15am 
SSHD - Is more ideal for laptops and system that only can fit one drive.

For PC desktops, your better off SSD | HDD (+ optional SSD cache).

Suggest getting a 128-256GB Samsung SSD 850 PRO - use this for Boot / Windows.

Then get a HDD for storage / games / steam.
Highly recommend one of the later model Western Digital 2-3TB Black Edition with 64MB cache.

That is enough, but if your motherboard also supports "Intel Smart Response", you can add an additional small 60-128GB SSD as automatic cache on top of that HDD to boost it up to even faster performance. This will work like a SSHD, but rather than a mere 1-2GB cache, you get up to 90GB, which is enough to cache entire game(s) that your currently playing. As you play, it will cache the most commonly used files to SSD.

Note to do this "Intel Smart Response" requires a compatible motherboard, Rapid Response software from Intel and a little first time setup: First set under BIOS the SATA mode to RAID (this allows for drives to work together). Then install the "Intel Rapid Response software" which you can download the latest version from Intel offical website. Under that an option tab will appear (if setup correctly) to Acccelerate. Select your HDD, accelerate with the spare SSD at max performance. It will do the partition creations for you and automatically run in background. You can find guides online to help with this setup.
Last edited by Azza ☠; Apr 19, 2015 @ 2:19am
just fred Apr 19, 2015 @ 2:26am 
Cool, thanks a lot for the info. I have an MSI X79A-GD65 (8D) motherboard (I believe). Would that be able to run this Intel Smart Response?
Azza ☠ Apr 19, 2015 @ 2:38am 
Double check, but unfortunately I don't believe it does, sorry. While the Z68 Chipset supports the Intel Smart Response Technology, the X79 series for some unknown reason dropped that feature.

Anyways, if not...

Still use a SSD for main boot and operating system, this will give the entire system an overall boost and feel of much greater performance, you will wonder how you lived without it.

For storage:

The Western Digital Black Edition is still more than enough for serious gamers.

Suggest model: WD3003FZEX

These new generation ones (I personally use and highly recommend) have Vibration Control Technology (VCT) which allows the disks inside the drive to adapt to any mounting problems or vibration conditions that are inside your case, resulting in increased data accuracy, performance and reliability over time.

It's got Corruption Protection Technology (CPT), High Resolution Controller (HRC) for increased data precision, etc. Seriously, well above just a standard HDD.

Else...

Consider a SSHD for storage, instead of the HDD (if you really want SSD cache). Just note some of these drives might be slower 5400RPM, rather than standard 7200RPM. Just faster SSD cache. Check into that.
Last edited by Azza ☠; Apr 19, 2015 @ 2:39am
just fred Apr 19, 2015 @ 2:55am 
Okay thanks again for all the advice! Do you work at some type of tech support department? Because you are really good at it :)
Last edited by just fred; Apr 19, 2015 @ 6:02am
Azza ☠ Apr 19, 2015 @ 2:02pm 
I'm a full time Security Expert, which also has a tech support role on the side.
< >
Showing 1-5 of 5 comments
Per page: 1530 50

Date Posted: Apr 19, 2015 @ 2:00am