Kalin[linux] Jun 24, 2014 @ 12:48pm
Spend money to support linux but they are counted for windows
I'm using linux from year or more and want to support that os as I can.
I regularly buying linux games but not playing them (no have time or interest)
I hear that if I buy game and not play it in first or second week this purchase is count as windows purchase... is this true... this is ridiculous.
Please steam/valve give us opportunity to choose how our money will count.
For me is no reason to waste money if they don't support linux.
< >
Showing 1-8 of 8 comments
Bad 💀 Motha Jun 24, 2014 @ 12:51pm 
If a game in question supports SteamPlay; or is made to work on Linux; then u have nothing to worry about.

So check the game specs/requirements.
Air Jun 24, 2014 @ 12:55pm 
Firstly, Valve does not give money to OS developers. Besides, Linux is open source and there are many Linux OSs as a result of that. Giving money to each Linux OS developer would be too much and giving to a certain Linux OS developer would be unfair. You aren't supporting Linux OSs just by buying Linux compatible games.

Secondly, games purchases don't count as "Linux purchases" or "Windows purchases". You buy the games and you can play them on any OS they're compatible with, simple as that.
Last edited by Air; Jun 24, 2014 @ 12:56pm
Bad 💀 Motha Jun 24, 2014 @ 1:06pm 
Everything AIR said:

"SteamPlay" is Steam's way of saying:
Pay for this once; play it on all supported OS'

And that's just how it works.

A game developer decides what platform the app/game is ultimately designed for. And that can change over time. For example they might release the Windows version first; but have plans to release in on Mac and/or Linux down the road. Alot of games are like that.

Supporting a game is not a means of ultimately supporting an OS; just doesn't work that way.
Kalin[linux] Jun 24, 2014 @ 1:21pm 
I have two points:
1) When my purchase is count as linux purchese developers are notification that there is sense to make linux ports.
2) Sometimes one studio create game and another port game to linux. If my purchase is count as windows second studio dont will get any money and probably will stop porting games.
rustybroomhandle Jun 24, 2014 @ 1:29pm 
There is much wrong in this thread so far. The info we have comes straight from Aspyr, the company that ported Civ V to Linux. They only get paid for Mac and Linux purchases of their ports.

When you purchase a game, you must play it on Linux within the first few weeks or else the purchase will default to count as a Windows purchase. (yes, even Steamplay titles)

There's a reasonably good summary of all this over at: http://www.gamingonlinux.com/articles/just-a-friendly-reminder-dont-buy-a-game-until-it-is-officially-on-linux.3934/
Last edited by rustybroomhandle; Jun 24, 2014 @ 1:30pm
scaine Jun 25, 2014 @ 4:32am 
I have a ridiculous list of games I've bought for Linux (I'm LInux only now) but haven't played yet as there aren't enough hours in the day. I'll be furious if those purchases are counting towards developer's perception that it's a Windows sale.

This forum won't help either. Has anyone tried raising a support ticket to Valve on this subject?
Kalin[linux] Jun 25, 2014 @ 5:48am 
Tell me how and I will do it
wh1sper_123 Jun 25, 2014 @ 6:58am 
there is actually one more detail in supporting linux developers. if there is inhouse porting or outsourcing.

in case of outsourcing you want to wait with game and buy it when it is ported, so developers get their money

with inhouse that wouldn't apply as money would go to the same entity and they probably need money rather sooner than later just like everyone on this world. and they can see how many purchases was on linux anyway. still, it can be a bad karma to buy it on pure faith

games like stanley parable, warband, metro are done inhouse if i'm not wrong. but, it sure would be nice to have some information like constant thread to know which game belongs where. once game is released, there is no need to track it anymore
Last edited by wh1sper_123; Jun 25, 2014 @ 7:01am
< >
Showing 1-8 of 8 comments
Per page: 1530 50

Date Posted: Jun 24, 2014 @ 12:48pm