Ljonglosoli Apr 26, 2017 @ 7:39am
Help upgrade my PC!
So I've had my PC for about 3 years now and had a friend help build it - though some of my parts were second hand from his PC and I've been looking into upgrading it but I'm not sure what to do next! Here's what I have at the moment:

Video Card: AMD Radeon HD 7700 Series
CPU: AMD Phenom(tm) II X4 965 Processor 3.40 Ghz
8GB RAM
OS: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium Edition Service Pack 1 (build 7601), 64-bit

If you need to know anything else let me know and I'll do my best! I'm basically completely new at this so any advice is appreciated!
< >
Showing 1-15 of 15 comments
bigbenisdaman Apr 26, 2017 @ 8:22am 
Get a new gpu first, depending on how much you wanna spend but I wouldnt go any lower than the 1050ti.

Then cpu/motherboard/ram when you can.
what is your budget?
if you are on the low side, do what bigben suggested: buy an nvidia gtx 1050ti.
additionally, buy a quality 500-620W psu like seasonic S12II bronze or M12II bronze or seasonic G.

if you have a good budget, consider amd ryzen-based parts for gaming and non-gaming needs.
for pure gaming, intel core i5 7th gen.
for dedicated gpu, choose from gtx 1060 (affordable), or more expensive 1070, 1080ti or amd gpu equivalent.
Sun's Delusion Apr 26, 2017 @ 11:35pm 
just need new video card like rx 460/560 4gb or gtx 1050 ti
FreezIn Apr 27, 2017 @ 6:34am 
I'm pretty sure that processor will bottleneck any GPU you put in it

Nevermind it might be a pretty good pair
Last edited by FreezIn; Apr 27, 2017 @ 6:37am
🦜Cloud Boy🦜 Apr 27, 2017 @ 7:36am 
Originally posted by FreezIn:

Exactly , that CPU will bottleneck all the modern games, it is below their minimum requirements. So buying just a GPU is useless ( almost).
Last edited by 🦜Cloud Boy🦜; Apr 27, 2017 @ 7:37am
bigbenisdaman Apr 27, 2017 @ 7:40am 
Originally posted by Ocean Boy:
Originally posted by FreezIn:

Exactly , that CPU will bottleneck all the modern games, it is below their minimum requirements. So buying just a GPU is useless ( almost).

Why dont ppl realize you dont have to build a whole new system at one time? That cpu will still get him by, the phenoms was the last good cpu till ryzen.
upcoast Apr 27, 2017 @ 11:41am 
Yup gpu 1st and psu if needed then worry about the mobo/cpu/ddr4 ram swap when he's got the money.

Personally I'd put a gtx1060 6GB in so at least you'd have something worthwhile later.

The GTX1050ti is deceiving although it's new it is actually lower than the old HD7970GHZ/R9 280x-380x.

I had my R9 280x 3GB with my old x4 965BE for a while and ya the x4 965 choked it a little but all games were playable at 1080p with high settings.

Depends what the plan is ie if you're never going to swap out the cpu then sure get a gtx1050ti or used cheap R9 280x/380x and call it a day but if you are going to swap out the cpu later on get a gtx1060 6GB.

http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/sniper_elite_4_pc_graphics_performance_benchmark_review,6.html

Example ^ of newer GPU isn't always better.
Last edited by upcoast; Apr 27, 2017 @ 11:46am
Sun's Delusion Apr 27, 2017 @ 11:42am 
i have phenom ii x4 945 and i went from unplayable fallout 4 with gtx 460 1gb(similar to hd 77xx) to high settings with rx 460 4gb. so yes it will make his pc super awesome fast compared to his current gpu. considering most modern games are console ports the phenoms are still meet minimum requirements. Not everyone wants max settings, some just want to play games at decent settings on a budget. I bought my phenom desktop used for $92.50, replaced ram with 8gb($30), bought rx 460 4gb on sale for 70$, look at that $192.50 and i play modded fallout 4 and skyrim on high settings. I also have a ps4 i rent games for through Gamefly.
FreezIn Apr 27, 2017 @ 11:59am 
its not that bad, just get the 1050 ti, and if you ever want to build a new rig, then go ahead, the processor shouldn't have a really big effect on your performance
Ljonglosoli Apr 28, 2017 @ 8:29am 
Wow, thanks for all the replies guys, yep my budget is definatly on the low side - that being said most of the games I play wouldn't have the biggest requirements and mostly on "can you run it" (Is that any good?) just say that I need a better video card for games I want to play like little nightmares and such... So people are basically saying go for a better GPU first and then look at a cpu? I'm not sure weather it would be a better investment to get something that will get me by or to spend more on something that will last me longer but I might not need in the long run

Also would anyone have any advice about cooling systems? I'm currently struggling along with one tiny fan in the back and the ♥♥♥♥♥♥ inbuilt one in the front of my case
Last edited by rotNdude; Apr 28, 2017 @ 9:05am
upcoast Apr 28, 2017 @ 11:40am 
Originally posted by Ljonglosoli:
Wow, thanks for all the replies guys, yep my budget is definatly on the low side - that being said most of the games I play wouldn't have the biggest requirements and mostly on "can you run it" (Is that any good?) just say that I need a better video card for games I want to play like little nightmares and such... So people are basically saying go for a better GPU first and then look at a cpu? I'm not sure weather it would be a better investment to get something that will get me by or to spend more on something that will last me longer but I might not need in the long run

Also would anyone have any advice about cooling systems? I'm currently struggling along with one tiny fan in the back and the ♥♥♥♥♥♥ inbuilt one in the front of my case

There's always the middle of the road Rx 570/470 4GB much better than the gtx1050ti but not quite as good as the Rx580/gtx1060 6GB but the price of the 570/470 is reasonable with regards to the performance they deliver.

Cooling system as in what, cpu cooler or case cooling?

You should list your parts down to the psu and what case you have.

The basic CM212 plus/evo/red led 120mm cpu coolers are cheapish and will cool the x4 965BE well.

Case cooling if your rear exhaust fan hole is 80mm then that's as big of a fan it'll take but if your case has a little extra room around it you can cut out a 120mm hole for a 120mm fan that blows at least50 - 60+cfm this is if you have the aptitude to using a sabre/jig saw, same goes for the side panel if you can cut in a 120mm intake fan approx. 3-4" from the bottom and on the right half of the case panel you'd be set.
FreezIn Apr 29, 2017 @ 3:20pm 
Well in my opinion, if you like decide that in the future, you won't be upgrading the CPU on this rig, then i personally think you would better off just look at only GPUs something toward more low end like a 1050 Ti. Why? Because its kinda sketchy to pair something like a GTX 1060 or equivalent to a X4 965, which might even bottleneck it.

But if you are planning to upgrade the CPU and stuff in the future, or even build a new computer, then I would just get a RX 580/570 for now, and when you wallet recovers, get your other parts.

About cooling, unless you have like seriously abnormal temperatures on idle, there is no reason to get more fans unless you want the computer to be a dust magnet inside.
upcoast Apr 29, 2017 @ 6:27pm 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fE9kXkhNw88

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c5an6IPgkIs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jukYR7zxp9M

A few examples ^, although the x4 965 is behind the i7 7700k the x4 PII manages if you can't afford to buy another cpu+mobo+ddr4.
Ljonglosoli May 19, 2017 @ 12:21pm 
Thanks guys, so I've been continuing on with my current set up, but the frequency that its crashing at is getting worse. Its always the same, I get some play time out of Skyrim and then the screen turns to lots of colourful horizontal lines (which seems to be the GPU dying on me from what I can see from other forums online) so I'm torn now between a quick fix or waiting to get some decent stuff. Money is pretty much always tight for me however which is an issue... Basically based on what you guys have recommended, am I right in saying that these would be up my street?

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/asus-radeon-rx-570-expedition-4096mb-gddr5-pci-express-graphics-card-gx-41b-as.html

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/msi-geforce-gtx-1050ti-oc-4096mb-gddr5-pci-express-graphics-card-gx-337-ms.html

(this is the site I was looking at purchasing from - any better suggestions for ordering from Ireland?)

Also I'd like to add that on the system requirments lab- On most of the games I check I seem to be lacking dedicated video ram. Would the above options give me this? Id like to be able to play the witcher 3 and little nightmares and such.

Thanks again guys!
Last edited by Ljonglosoli; May 19, 2017 @ 12:30pm
upcoast May 19, 2017 @ 4:49pm 
Take the 570 if it's in your budget and yes it'll be fine for witcher 3.

http://www.techspot.com/review/1006-the-witcher-3-benchmarks/page5.html

http://www.techspot.com/review/1006-the-witcher-3-benchmarks/page2.html

The Rx 570 hovers around GTX970 and the GTX1050ti hovers around GTX960.
< >
Showing 1-15 of 15 comments
Per page: 1530 50

Date Posted: Apr 26, 2017 @ 7:39am