I am mad for the hell "Extracting package...", so i did this with a little complicated method. you don't have to follow all of this. Maybe you just need step 3.
(My OS is Win7 x64.)
- 1. Check or disable OS firewall. (on my PC, steam client try to connect some IP that i blocked.)
- 2. Make sure Steam.exe is not running. (If you can't kill it, try to disable Steam client [Auto-start with OS] and reboot OS. For my case, i just delete [Steam]@[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run] in Windows Registry to disable the auto-start of Steam.)
- 3. Negative to [%ProgramFiles(x86)%\Steam\], rename files and directories to backup:
(Some files come when i run steam with "-developer -console", so your PC may miss some files. Why i rename some directories is because i find some file IO error msg in steam log and I AM MAD!)
- rename file [debug.log] to [debug.Backup01.log]
- rename file [steam.log] to [steam.Backup01.log]
- rename file [ClientRegistry.blob] to [ClientRegistry.Backup01.blob]
- rename file [AppUpdateStats.blob] to [AppUpdateStats.Backup01.blob]
- rename directory [config] to [config.Backup01]
- rename directory [package] to [package.Backup01]
- rename directory [logs] to [logs.Backup01]
- 4. Run ["%ProgramFiles(x86)%\Steam\Steam.exe" -language "english" -developer -console -fs_log -fs_logbins] in windows' Cmd as Admin. (I AM MAD, so i use all that i think may help...)
- 5. After Steam updater download finish, "Extracting package..." just run a little time, and than i see the login screen, finally...