How to make your games work after the windows 8.1 update SOLVED
NOTE On windows 8.1 Update and Steam.. Games Crash ? App already running?
Here is a fix !! Dont tear your hair out , or freak out.

------------FIX UPDATE:10-30-13:: Newest nvidia driver fixes this issue of games crashing..
http://www.nvidia.com/Download/Find.aspx?lang=en-us Version 331.65

If you plan on doing the update ( Like I did today ) when you start steam and try to launch a game , It will give you APP already running , or crash to desktop error's. * on almost every game. { I have alot.}

DO NOT WORRY , I found a SIMPLE way to fix ALL of your games to make them launch on windows 8.1.. So you DO NOT have to reinstall a clean OS again.

It half way has to do with steam , and half to do with the win registry, BUT

IN your library right click on the game that you have issues with , hit local files tab, and verify integrity of game cache. " this allowed steam to re-register my game into the new windows 8.1 & complete a install of the game With a minimal download of the exe, and it installing the game with windows 8.1 []

I have tested this on 10 + games which did not work after updating to 8.1 , I verified each game that had issues , and they all work again..

SO in summary , Go ahead and update to 8.1 if you would like ,, but Keep in mind Verify your game files to make them launch.

{Note } also run windows update, there are 5 updates , including flash , and fix's

Happy gaming :gunner:

FIX UPDATE:10-30-13:: Newest nvidia driver fixes this issue of games crashing..
http://www.nvidia.com/Download/Find.aspx?lang=en-us Version 331.65
Last edited by Cronkllr {CnX}; Oct 30, 2013 @ 4:12pm
< >
Showing 1-15 of 111 comments
fleezy Oct 19, 2013 @ 12:52pm 
I have a problem that Steam crashes when I try to download anything. It started to do this after 8.1 update and I dont know how to fix it... I tried almost everything but nothing seems to help
ok Oct 19, 2013 @ 3:42pm 
^this, I'm having a very similar problem, with one added issue. I can start steam in offline mode only, and unless the steamapps folder is deleted from steam home directory, i cant go online. After I delete the steamapps folder, and manage to get the online mode running, everytime i try to download a game (any game) steam crashes again. I tried so many things already. Reinstalled Steam twice, started windows in Safe Mode (with networking), turend off fire wall, turned off all services that start up during boot, obviously tried turning steam with admin rights, flushed DNS, set -TCP as parameter for steam and many more. Problem seems to be somewhere else.
Cronkllr {CnX} Oct 19, 2013 @ 4:10pm 
change your default downlaod folder, I use a diffrent drive , But I imagine that if you change your library path ( to a new folder it will fix the steamapp folder issue, and probably will fix the download issues as well. I have bought a few games that downloaded fine since 8.1.

Also I did go and change steam.exe run as administrator in compatiblity settings..

First thing I would try If you havnt already is to run windows update and get the latest 5 updates..

*2nd check if your using Steam Beta .* Also I was in steam beta originaly , I switched back to opt out, and switched it back to beta, I dont know if that helped ,, But those arre the stpes I used to make mine run 100%

**3rd , And I think this may be the issue , and how I got around it. Is your library folder location.

Chose another path on your drive if you only have 1 drive installed.

( I have my steam app on my C:\ , and steamapps on a seperate drive..)
But I think just changing the path will work.

***SAVE THIS METHOD FOR THE END, As it is more tedious. * If you still have the issue I would Backup/MOVE the SteamApps folder and move if to a diffrent location * IF YOU WANT TO SAVE yourself the game download time)
Unistall Than reinstall steam, pick the library folder location to where you moved the steamapps folder. All you will have to do is click install on the games you saved ( IT WILL APPEAR TO DLOAD THE WHOLE THING BUT IT JUST VERIFIYs the files)
fleezy Oct 20, 2013 @ 1:32am 
I found the solution with guy on reddit. You need to download .NET Framework 3.5: http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=39236 and then do this: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh506443.aspx

This totally worked for me.
ok Oct 20, 2013 @ 5:42am 
Thank you so much FlavorFlav, your solution worked as a charm for me. One more thing, my PC had this framework already installed so I thought that this isnt the right solution for me. But as i refused to give up, i reinstalled it (the .NET framework) and steam started working once again. Sincere thank you :)
Chris B Oct 24, 2013 @ 12:17pm 
Originally posted by Cobra Kai {CnX}:

------------

If you plan on doing the update ( Like I did today ) when you start steam and try to launch a game , It will give you APP already running , or crash to desktop error's. * on almost every game. { I have alot.}

DO NOT WORRY , I found a SIMPLE way to fix ALL of your games to make them launch on windows 8.1.. So you DO NOT have to reinstall a clean OS again.

IN your library right click on the game that you have issues with , hit local files tab, and verify integrity of game cache. " this allowed steam to re-register my game into the new windows 8.1 & complete a install of the game With a minimal download of the exe, and it installing the game with windows 8.1 []

I have tested this on 10 + games which did not work after updating to 8.1 , I verified each game that had issues , and they all work again..

SO in summary , Go ahead and update to 8.1 if you would like ,, but Keep in mind Verify your game files to make them launch.

{Note } also run windows update, there are 5 updates , including flash , and fix's

Hi I have tried this as well as reinstalling the games but they still do not run, any other ideas.
Laptop Oct 24, 2013 @ 12:20pm 
Or you could just downgrade to an actually working OS like Windows 7...

Windows 8.1 is coming close to failing as bad as Vista.
Last edited by Laptop; Oct 24, 2013 @ 12:20pm
Chris B Oct 24, 2013 @ 12:30pm 
Originally posted by FlavorFlav:
I found the solution with guy on reddit. You need to download .NET Framework 3.5: http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=39236 and then do this: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh506443.aspx

It hasn't helped me unfortunately
Cronkllr {CnX} Oct 24, 2013 @ 4:22pm 
what error are you getting? feel free to add me to your friends list, I have an associates degree in Computer science. I can walk you through it.

Originally posted by c_brann:
Originally posted by Cobra Kai {CnX}:

------------

Hi I have tried this as well as reinstalling the games but they still do not run, any other ideas.
vladimir79 Oct 24, 2013 @ 4:43pm 
Only offline. Still nothing for online. I deleted steamapps and it worked, I return them it crashes. Worked after update to 8.1, but now it crashes.
Cronkllr {CnX} Oct 24, 2013 @ 4:51pm 
Originally posted by vladimir79:
Only offline. Still nothing for online. I deleted steamapps and it worked, I return them it crashes. Worked after update to 8.1, but now it crashes.

Here are 2 things you can try//
----------------------------------------------------

Possible fix #1
REFRESHING STEAM FILES - THIS WILL NOT AFFECT INSTALLED GAMES)
Windows XP/Vista/7/8

Completely exit the Steam client.
Open the run dialogue by pressing windows key + r (you can also navigate here from the start menu by typing run).
Type steam://flushconfig then press enter. (If asked to allow this website to open a program, please click Allow or OK).
Restart your computer.
Now, launch Steam directly from the installation folder, not from a pre-existing shortcut (~C:\program files (x86)\Steam).
The Steam application will either appear as Steam or Steam.exe depending on whether your settings show file extensions.

-------------------------------------------------------------
Possible fix #2
To fix this error use the following steps:
Exit Steam
Navigate to your Steam installation directory. (C:\Program Files\Steam\ by default.)
Delete everything in that directory EXCEPT the following:
steam.exe
steamapps directory (All of Steam's game files are kept here.)
Restart Steam to test the issue
Last edited by Cronkllr {CnX}; Oct 24, 2013 @ 4:51pm
fleezy Oct 25, 2013 @ 6:44am 
I guess its definitelly the problem with .NET, though it only crashes when you go online and game tries to update and that causes crash... try to install all new and old .NET. I guess that would help.

Originally posted by c_brann:
Originally posted by FlavorFlav:

It hasn't helped me unfortunately
vladimir79 Oct 29, 2013 @ 7:53pm 
Managed to start Steam for 10 seconds. Found out what was downloading and after it crashed I uninstalled the games that were updating. Everything worked fine. I could play games again. But if I want to install something new it crashes again. Checked .NET 3.5 and it was active. Didn't need to use the solution from reddit. Really annoying.
LilShield Oct 30, 2013 @ 11:25am 
I've tried most of these fixes and I cannot find any more help on the subject. I have been at this since 6pm yesterday and still no luck in getting my games to run
LilShield Oct 30, 2013 @ 11:26am 
everything worked fine prior to windows 8.1 update, now only one of my steam games will run while all the others fail to run
< >
Showing 1-15 of 111 comments
Per page: 1530 50

Date Posted: Oct 18, 2013 @ 4:56pm