Techies Feb 11 @ 7:09am
Very important question to Valve and Indie Developers.
What is the requirement, financial or otherwise for a game to have a Free Weekend.

I see great potentional in free weekends for multiplayer focused indie titles like Kingdom's Rise and Strike Vector. The problem with games like those are that they are mostly unknown, and no one is willing to invest in a game with only few 100 players.

Even though games like that can easily hit the 20k concurrent mark, it's pretty pointless if thousands of players wait for each other to make the first move. Also don't see why games need to wait a year or two after a release before considering it.

I cannot for the live of me grasp why there isn't more devs especially indie devs taking this option. All I can think of is that there must be some kind of block.

If Valve wanted they could create a Free Weeken subsection under your library so you could see which games you can try.

There's only one way to make a multiplayer centric indie title a success and that's to get everyone to try the game at once when it's fresh and if it's featured on the front page or in the Library.
Date Posted: Feb 11 @ 7:09am