Siyano Jan 20, 2018 @ 3:50pm
Creating a game?
Hello everyone, since I have a lot of time to spend I would want to start creating a game
I have some coding knowledge already (althought its been a long time), I wanted to create a card game, so I would start with the barebone of the game and prototype it
-What would you suggest as a platform for the "easiest" way to do it?
-A more advanced question: How do you code the barebone rules of the card game? like say I want to create a hearthstone or a clash royal?

Thank for your help! :)
Last edited by Siyano; Jan 20, 2018 @ 3:54pm
< >
Showing 1-10 of 10 comments
GREG Jan 20, 2018 @ 4:11pm 
You can use Unreal Engine 4 who is free. or unity
Keres Jan 20, 2018 @ 4:14pm 
The platform of course PC and you should learn Unity engine. It's fairly simple as far as I know.
Coding rules is not straight forward it depends on your design first then you need to accountfor expandability and maintainability of your code, so if you don't have a grasp of OOP and design principles I strongly suggest you learn those. Also you need at least one other person , preferrably a graphics designer to help you, maybe even another prgrammer if you're serious. But without a working engine/framework you're gonna spend some time building that instead of your game. I mean layout basic graphics options, windown resizing, fullscreen, etc. Only then you would create your rendering : draw to screen, your game and update loop and so forth. User interface, events. There really is no "easy" way to do these things if you want a good result.
Siyano Jan 20, 2018 @ 4:18pm 
@bond james bond 007 I want to start with the base stuff, barely any graphics for now (so I dont need a graphic designer), just want to have fun alone, making a little something you can play alone maybe.
I have some knowledge of OOP and design.
so I should go with unreal engine
Marcelo Jan 20, 2018 @ 4:22pm 
Hola
Marcelo Jan 20, 2018 @ 4:22pm 
:steamhappy:
Keres Jan 20, 2018 @ 4:26pm 
Originally posted by Siyano:
@bond james bond 007 I want to start with the base stuff, barely any graphics for now (so I dont need a graphic designer), just want to have fun alone, making a little something you can play alone maybe.
I have some knowledge of OOP and design.
so I should go with unreal engine
Unreal Engine is free now and requires knowledge of C++ so if you think that's acceptable you can try for sure. Making a card game itself shouldn't be too hard especially if you forgo animations and graphics effects like Gwent for example. Good luck with your learning.
Unity is pretty good and it's free it also has a large asset store which can give you a kickstart. (Assuming you want to make something and not asset flip).

Other free programs like game maker studio are pretty good that's something that requires little to no coding knowledge.

Ontop of that the unreal engine is great but requires a Beafy PC.
Siyano Jan 20, 2018 @ 4:38pm 
OK, where should I go for more in depth question, such as coding specific stuff in the game, what site/forum would you suggest
Codeanywhere is nice, Reddit.com/r/coding is good just look around for communities who like to help eachother and you'll find some assistance in no time. :)
Keres Jan 20, 2018 @ 4:55pm 
There are tons of tutorials on youtube for both engines :pandashocked:
< >
Showing 1-10 of 10 comments
Per page: 1530 50

Date Posted: Jan 20, 2018 @ 3:50pm