Freddy Fazbear Aug 5 @ 5:40pm
Full Captions Misuse
A lot of people need full captions to enjoy L4D2. However, some people use this function against it's purpose. Selecting "Full Captions" subtitles zombie noises, which means many players only use it to detect tanks or other special infected before they encounter them.
Could this be referred to as "misusing" said option?
Last edited by Freddy Fazbear; Aug 8 @ 4:43am
Showing 1-15 of 60 comments
< >
nope, referred as valve ♥♥♥♥ing up again AND you would have to read the sentence while the zombie would be coming at you
Freddy Fazbear Aug 5 @ 5:45pm 
Originally posted by DoGe Clan -=DogeBuddy1130=-:
nope, referred as valve ♥♥♥♥ing up again AND you would have to read the sentence while the zombie would be coming at you
No, it actually subtitles sounds even if the zombie isn't coming at you.
To see if it actually exposed anything, I played using it.
It said "[Boomer Growl]", 5 minutes later..... Boomer.
Last edited by Freddy Fazbear; Aug 5 @ 5:52pm
PID1 Aug 5 @ 6:18pm 
I find that with earphones, you can hear the specials long before you see them. I haven't tried, but perhaps the captions appear when the sounds play? When I don't play with earphones, I often miss the warning sounds (desktop speakers) and run right into the specials!
Todeskralle Aug 5 @ 6:51pm 
If you want to think of it that way, I guess it would be cheating. To a degree.
Originally posted by Strong Bad:
Originally posted by DoGe Clan -=DogeBuddy1130=-:
nope, referred as valve ♥♥♥♥ing up again AND you would have to read the sentence while the zombie would be coming at you
No, it actually subtitles sounds even if the zombie isn't coming at you.
To see if it actually exposed anything, I played using it.
It said "[Boomer Growl]", 5 minutes later..... Boomer.
really 5 mins? was the boomer lagging his as.s off?
Lunatix Aug 5 @ 7:16pm 
I don't need subtitles for kick your *** trust me.
DarkShadow1803 Aug 5 @ 7:22pm 
but it does help alot when it comes to awareness, like if someone gets caught and I cannot hear them, because of noise to hear them(gunfire, horde, voicechat), the subtitles text shows survivor saying "hunter on....", another survivor screaming "no!" indicating smoked, etc. Helps with infected, it helps to know when someone is critical (black and white)
Wufei Chang Aug 5 @ 8:11pm 
Remember that it does come with a downside of displaying every survivor text, example if a survivor vocal spams.

When I hear a special behind a wall on both ears of my headset; I spray the wall with gunfire and focus on a part that tells me where I hit them ( captions show [Charger pain!]) and get called a wallhacker as a result. Captions are useful to detect when any special spawns since all of them growl (excluding hunter until it crouches), but you still have to use your ears to figure out where they are coming from.

I do not consider it cheating as this is an option that is built ingame without any outside mods or addons. Captions help but DO NOT replace hearing.
Φ Aug 5 @ 8:17pm 
Originally posted by Wufei Chang:
Remember that it does come with a downside of displaying every survivor text, example if a survivor vocal spams.

When I hear a special behind a wall on both ears of my headset; I spray the wall with gunfire and focus on a part that tells me where I hit them ( captions show [Charger pain!]) and get called a wallhacker as a result. Captions are useful to detect when any special spawns since all of them growl (excluding hunter until it crouches), but you still have to use your ears to figure out where they are coming from.

I do not consider it cheating as this is an option that is built ingame without any outside mods or addons. Captions help but DO NOT replace hearing.
I find them useful as I have hearing issues (My hearing fades in and out and it's a pain sometimes). Although I'm trying not to rely on them so much.
Last edited by Φ; Aug 5 @ 8:17pm
Accel Aug 5 @ 8:31pm 
I've tried playing with them once. I could actually hear the infected growl from a farther distance than the subtitles would transcribe.
Key$tone Aug 5 @ 8:33pm 
I think it actually might be a disadvantage esspecially in VS
Freddy Fazbear Aug 5 @ 8:40pm 
Originally posted by DoGe Clan -=DogeBuddy1130=-:
Originally posted by Strong Bad:
No, it actually subtitles sounds even if the zombie isn't coming at you.
To see if it actually exposed anything, I played using it.
It said "[Boomer Growl]", 5 minutes later..... Boomer.
really 5 mins? was the boomer lagging his as.s off?
No it was VERY FAR AWAY. I'm talking inaudible.
Freddy Fazbear Aug 5 @ 8:42pm 
Originally posted by DarkShadow1803:
but it does help alot when it comes to awareness, like if someone gets caught and I cannot hear them, because of noise to hear them(gunfire, horde, voicechat), the subtitles text shows survivor saying "hunter on....", another survivor screaming "no!" indicating smoked, etc. Helps with infected, it helps to know when someone is critical (black and white)
Yes, but there is an option called "Subtitles Only", which allows for only survivor subtitling.
I'l talking about Full Captions, which players misuse to detect infected via subtitles.
Freddy Fazbear Aug 5 @ 8:44pm 
Originally posted by Wufei Chang:
Remember that it does come with a downside of displaying every survivor text, example if a survivor vocal spams.

When I hear a special behind a wall on both ears of my headset; I spray the wall with gunfire and focus on a part that tells me where I hit them ( captions show [Charger pain!]) and get called a wallhacker as a result. Captions are useful to detect when any special spawns since all of them growl (excluding hunter until it crouches), but you still have to use your ears to figure out where they are coming from.

I do not consider it cheating as this is an option that is built ingame without any outside mods or addons. Captions help but DO NOT replace hearing.
I just wondered if players who MISUSE it to detect specials could be reffered to as cheaters.
Wufei Chang Aug 5 @ 9:06pm 
not really, it is just an option ingame. Use it as you like.
Showing 1-15 of 60 comments
< >
Per page: 15 30 50
Date Posted: Aug 5 @ 5:40pm
Posts: 60