Total War: EMPIRE - Definitive Edition

Total War: EMPIRE - Definitive Edition

View Stats:
 This topic has been pinned, so it's probably important
Mac v.s. Linux - Cross Platform Support (Beta)
This post concerns the Mac and Linux versions of Empire: Total War, ported by Feral Interactive.

We have updated the Mac OS X and Linux/SteamOS versions of Empire: Total War so that both versions now use a platform-agnostic maths library. This modification allows Mac OS X and Linux gamers to play against each other, both online and on LAN. Previously, this was impossible because the original library would work differently on different platforms, causing the game to be unable to keep in sync across platforms.

The changes to the maths library are fairly complex, so we are offering this as an opt-in Beta option so that you can try it out, and then report any issues you find back to us. We can then make improvements before we make the update available to everyone on the main retail branch.

You can find the Multiplayer Beta in the Beta tab of the Empire: Total War Properties window in your Steam client. The Beta branch is called "mac_linux_mp_beta".

There are few important points to note about the Beta:

1. Battle replays created in the current retail version will not work in the Beta, as they are based on the old maths library. All your other saves and progress are fully compatible.
2. If you opt into the Beta you can only play against other Mac and Linux users who are also opted into the Beta.
3. The Windows version is not affected by this change, so Mac and Linux users will not be able to play against Windows users, even if they are opted into the Beta.
4. If you have issues, please email our support team so they can collate them and report back to our development teams for investigation. The email address for all feedback on this Beta is empiremultiplayer@feralinteractive.com
5. The Beta exhibits a known performance drop compared to retail builds on AMD cards running on Linux which we will be investigating.

We hope you enjoy the Beta, and look forward to your feedback.

Thanks,

The Feral Interactive Team
< >
Showing 1-15 of 44 comments
directhex Mar 24, 2015 @ 5:29pm 
Is your new maths library also being considered on Windows, or will Mac/Linux permanently be in their own little non-Windows ghetto for multiplayer?
Walnut Mar 30, 2015 @ 1:19pm 
I doubt it since Creative Assembly didn't do the OSX/Linux ports but it'd be really cool if the two developers could get together and make something work for the three platforms
mArK May 23, 2015 @ 11:58pm 
Having WIndows compability would be a dream
Shanewayne9™ Jun 4, 2015 @ 4:24pm 
Off topic but can you help with me something Discussion: Empire TW won't start ( !!!!PLEASE HELP!!!! )
TOILET CLEANER :) Jun 25, 2015 @ 8:50pm 
FFEEEE
storminator16 Jul 26, 2015 @ 6:38am 
Linux version seems to execute with no graphics whatsoever, though. I can just see the display cursor and here background sound. This is occuring whether I execute from Steam and from desktop icon.
76561198140997333 Jul 30, 2015 @ 2:40pm 
Originally posted by Storminator16:
Linux version seems to execute with no graphics whatsoever, though. I can just see the display cursor and here background sound. This is occuring whether I execute from Steam and from desktop icon.

Please make sure you meet all the requirements of the game, it has been shipping for a number of months now and we haven't had any major reports of problems.

Have you checked your hardware and software against the specifications?
Azelfafage Aug 4, 2015 @ 2:49pm 
where is the save game directory in Mac? please help...
Originally posted by Azelfafage:

The game FAQs should show you the location of your prefeneces and save data. You can open this folder and load FAQs using the pre game options window.
jjajajaj
Kalon Nov 25, 2015 @ 12:54am 
Originally posted by FERAL Edwin:
Originally posted by Azelfafage:

The game FAQs should show you the location of your prefeneces and save data. You can open this folder and load FAQs using the pre game options window.

Nope, not in there. Funny joke to play on this guy though...
Kalon Nov 25, 2015 @ 1:04am 
Edwin, let me do your job for you. The CORRECT answer was as follows:

Azelfafage, the location you want is ~library/application support/feral interactive/empire total war/appdata/save_games
Thank you for your purchase of this game and your support for feral interactive. We value you as a customer and strive for friendly customer service. Have a lovely day.
47882 Nov 26, 2015 @ 7:22am 
What about the constant crashing on steamos while playing the campaign
76561198140997333 Nov 27, 2015 @ 7:33am 
Originally posted by TheCommuneSickle:
What about the constant crashing on steamos while playing the campaign

I would contact support, we don't have reports from users and the game has been out now for some time so it sounds like something that has been introduced in a SteamOS update.

If you contact with details we can investigate.
kyro Nov 28, 2015 @ 2:49am 
Can i ask HOW DO U UPDATE UR EMPIRE:TOTAL WAR I BEGE TELL ME :steamsad:
< >
Showing 1-15 of 44 comments
Per page: 1530 50