This game is now available on Steam!

Thanks for your help in getting this game selected for distribution via Steam. More information including a link to the Steam store page can be found below.

Greenlight is being retired. For more information on how to submit games to steam, refer to this blog post.
Lonely Mountains: Downhill
 This topic has been pinned, so it's probably important
Megagon Industries  [developer] May 21, 2017 @ 5:13am
FAQ
Hey folks,

we decided to start a FAQ section here for all reoccurring questions. This post will be updated regularly, so new questions and answers will be integrated. Also we integrated some of the threads here to keep the discussion overview a bit cleaner - no posts were deleted!

Kickstarter
Thanks to all your amazing feedback, we have decided to start a Kickstarter campaign in October, despite all the risks. To prepare that we are running a little pre-KS newsletter signup campaign: sign up now and unlock exclusive rewards[lonelymountains.com]!

Controls
We will support controller, mouse and keyboard - however we recommend a game controller for the best experience.

Early Access
We’re not sure yet if the game will get an instant full release or early access first. With so many people asking to play the game although it’s still in pre-alpha, early access get’s more and more likely.

Price
We haven’t settled for a price yet. Probably something between $15 and $20, but it will depend on the final feature set and the amount of content.

Streams/Twitch/Youtube
Currently we don’t give out a demo for public streaming. We’re still doing a lot of local playtests to see what players like about it (or don’t) and due to its early stage it is not 100% bug-free. But you can still write us an email or contact us through social media, if you want to stream the game in the future and we’ll put you on our streamer/youtuber list.

Open World
This game will not be a classic open world game (as we are two people and all the levels are handcrafted) however we want you to be able to explore the levels and choose your own path down the mountain - either on the official track, “official” shortcuts or just cross-country as you like.

Third / First Person Camera
We know a lot of people are asking for this but we tested that and decided against it. Here’s some of our reasoning behind it:
  1. A bird view is better in our opinion for a game which mostly goes downhill. If the camera is third or first person you always have no idea what’s behind the next brink or hill. Third person action games often solve that with more or less hard 180° camera transitions when you climb over the brink (or letting you manually control the camera) while racing games avoid the situation mostly by having a much more flat level design with wider roads and less obstacles than we have.

2. You also need to know if there are more obstacles behind the one you’re currently facing which is hard with a camera behind you or through a first person view. In third person the rider also blocks the view on things right in front your bike.

3. Also you have to take a lot of hard turns and brakes in the game. Using a chasing camera for this feels either very dizzy when it’s highly responsive or gives a lot of camera troubles when it moves very smoothly.

4. We got very good feedback for the camera behavior from our playtesters as it works really well with our control scheme.

5. Last but not least: The graphic style works best with a bird view. Low poly doesn’t really shine if you speed through it from a first person perspective.

Language Support
The game will support multiple languages, however we haven’t decided on which ones we will include. Please use this thread to suggest languages you would like to be included.

Customization
We definitely want to have that for bike & rider, however it will be purely for the look. We have decided not to change the behavior (like the physical properties) of the bike, since it would either make balancing the tracks super difficult or the range of customization too small. Of course we will also have a female rider to choose.

Music / Audio Design
Although we decided to put some music in the trailer the game will actually have a very pure audio experience mainly focusing on the sounds of the bike riding on different ground types, the reactions of the rider based on your playstyle and the nature and animals around you.

Consoles
We would really like to bring the game to all major consoles in the future (Switch included) as they would be a natural fit for the game, but at the moment we’re concentrating on the PC version first.

Linux Support
We would really like to! Unity does support Linux, however we have not yet tested it - so there is a good chance, but we cannot promise it right now.

Mobile Version
There are no concrete plans for a mobile version at the moment. Who knows what the future will bring, but right now PC - and maybe consoles - are our priority.

Engine
You guessed right… Unity!

[last updated: 06.09.2017 / 13:58 UTC]
Last edited by Megagon Industries; Sep 6, 2017 @ 6:58am
< >
Showing 1-15 of 15 comments
The Stranger May 20, 2017 @ 2:29pm 
Possible third person camera view
Looks really fun, awesome art style. Could I request the option to set the camera directly behind the rider, traditional third-person view would make this perfect! I think this would make the down hill run really exhilarating :)
danpaladin May 20, 2017 @ 4:48pm 
I'm curious if the trailer is from replays or gameplay. I'm uncertain which one it is.

Either way I hope you guys make it to Steam!
Ben Shapiro May 20, 2017 @ 8:23pm 
I think third person would be cool, but first person would be really awesome!
ape May 21, 2017 @ 1:51am 
So.. Few questions
1. Will we be able to customize our Character?
2. Will we be able to customize our Bike?
3. How much will it cost?
volnes May 21, 2017 @ 2:51am 
Linux build?
Hi! Did u plan linux support? Well if u need some testing, let me know!
I really glad to help with testing and bring that game to linux community!
U can look into my proflie and see in what projects i was tester.
Here is my mail: volnes88@gmail[dot]com
wing_nut_101 May 21, 2017 @ 3:11am 
controls and open world?
one thing I'd like to know is

1.whether or not there will be controller support

2 if there will be individual controls for different parts of the bike, rather than wasd keys, is there going to be individual controls to lean back, forwards, back brake, front brake, and all that jazz?

3. and also, everyone loves to rip a fat wheelie now and again, as well as a stoppie at the end of a run. so if that could be a mechanic, that would be amazing.

4. open world. that would be amazing. rather than having to stick to one track, and one track only, imagine being able just to go and ride the trails you wanted, go where you want rather than a set trail
Megagon Industries  [developer] May 21, 2017 @ 5:23am 
Originally posted by wing_nut_101:
controls and open world?
2 if there will be individual controls for different parts of the bike, rather than wasd keys, is there going to be individual controls to lean back, forwards, back brake, front brake, and all that jazz?

3. and also, everyone loves to rip a fat wheelie now and again, as well as a stoppie at the end of a run. so if that could be a mechanic, that would be amazing.

Sounds great, however we want to keep the controls as simple and intuitive as possible. We thought about controlling character and bike independently during jumps... but we will have to make some tests, to see if it's fun.
LeChuck May 21, 2017 @ 8:28am 
* First person ( GoPro View ) would be awesome
* Xbox one Controller support ( left trigger - front brake, right trigger - rear brake )
* 21:9 widescreen support
* Dry,wet and hardpack conditions with lot of tricky terrain ( rocks, roots ) include weather effects

Last edited by LeChuck; May 21, 2017 @ 8:31am
arboricopom May 21, 2017 @ 8:52am 
Linux version, please !
Meemze (gain.gg) May 21, 2017 @ 3:26pm 
Hey, I REALLY think this game should be open world, it would so much like a proper bike ride irl, like irl you explore a bunch of tracks and have a bunch of fun, I reckon that should be implemented into a game.

P.S If you need a tester I'm open
Megagon Industries  [developer] May 21, 2017 @ 3:29pm 
Originally posted by BMeister:
Hey, I REALLY think this game should be open world, it would so much like a proper bike ride irl, like irl you explore a bunch of tracks and have a bunch of fun, I reckon that should be implemented into a game.

P.S If you need a tester I'm open

Well, being realistic for a two-person-indie-studio a "real" open world approach is simply not possible without letting the quality of this world suffer a lot, sorry. :steamsad:
Last edited by Megagon Industries; May 21, 2017 @ 3:29pm
cautiousfellow May 22, 2017 @ 6:11am 
PS4 version and I'll buy it twice.
Megagon Industries  [developer] May 23, 2017 @ 1:47am 
Originally posted by cautiousfellow:
PS4 version and I'll buy it twice.

Console versions would be awesome - however we have to get some external support for that, but we are already talking to some people who might help us here.
deef May 29, 2017 @ 1:27pm 
glad to hear that re music/sound - the music had me concerned somewhat, and a game as beautiful as this will work so well with dense reactive sound design. for sure!
DennisLofgren Jun 3, 2017 @ 2:19pm 
Game looks really cool, love the art style. Will definately buy when you release it on Switch, don't cheap out on the frame rate though, make it 60 on all consoles.
< >
Showing 1-15 of 15 comments
Per page: 15 30 50