Scrap Mechanic

Scrap Mechanic

The Modpack
Durf  [developer] May 10, 2020 @ 9:33am
🔥SURVIVAL UPDATE 🔥❔❓❔❓❔❓
EVERYTHING IS BROKEN! AAAAAAAAAAA!
I'll try to get things fixed ASAP for creative, though I must admit I've been too preoccupied lately with other things..so idk when any of that will happen at this time. I'll try to keep you guys updated with what's going on when I know more.
And with this update, this is THE biggest change for mod makers.
Personally I wish mod makers were notified of the upcoming changes before the big update so we could prepare beforehand, or some backwards compatibility for a few versions so this isn't a problem for players that want creative in 0.4.
But for now, switching back to 0.3.5 seems to be the only way to get things working right now (only creative mode...until we can work on the update for 0.4 creative/survival?)

Will you make _____? / Can you make _____?
A lot of things people want. I would categorize the ideas in 2 major categories:
A) mods that will change the filesystem (no workshop support for sure)
B) mods that could eventually have workshop support

For A, there isn't a good way to distribute these mods - though I'm certain the modding community will be sharing these a lot (I would like to have a central website for these kinds of mods). These would be things like the "unlock god mode" or "everything costs nothing and crafts in 0 seconds" type of modifications. Pretty easy to do, and I think everyone will want something slightly different and personalized for some of these ideas.. so there needs to be a good way to distribute these mods besides just random posts of download links on random platforms.

For B, this assumes there will be good workshop mod support. I already have plenty of ideas for SURVIVAL MODS. Adding new content, items, crafting recipes, and mechanics. I would also like to upgrade the modpack parts to be ready for survival mode (crafting recipes, balancing the costs and making them "fit" in the game that is a survival game, and possibly upgrading the models and textures to better match, and support future game updates).
Again, at this time, there's no real way to say exactly how long it will be until any of that actually happens, or if the workshop mod support is ready for that....
Also, there's no indication at this time that there will be workshop support for things like custom clothing items...so that may end up being type A (filesystem mods)

There's a lot of enthusiasm and a lot of ideas, but not a lot of support to make it happen in an easy way for everyone.

Modpack in survival?
As mentioned, there's no indication of proper mod support for things like that yet.
Survival mods?
Definitely have some ideas I want to start working on already, but to make an idea really nice it takes some time to do it right.
It will be a while, and a lot of non-workshop supported mods, before we see some nice workshop mod supported content.

GENERAL UPDATE STUFF:

I was working on scrapmechanicmods.com to be a huge database of mod parts, and useful tools for mod makers and players, to search and filter for parts based on any attribute they have, scan a blueprint and pop out a list of parts, generate a custom modpack, upgrade a mod JSON to a new version with ease, have community contributions for any part like a model or texture or language translation just from someone submitting into the public database (and rating systems, permission setups for individual creators), etc.

This update changed so much, that it not only created a ton of work for mod makers...but also that website database needs to be redesigned from the ground up.
This is a good thing, because it means all those useful tools and scripts for mod makers and players will be compatible with the new version, and I can add even more useful stuff for the survival mods people want to make!
This is the distribution method that I think will work for a lot of what's not possible on the steam workshop. But yea, this update means that even that website will take more time to create now.

Part of me wants to WAIT before updating the modpack, and use my free time to work on this website and tools.
Because one of the features I wanted to do was the mod uploader (that will populate the database with the parts and assets from the mod maker), will read the JSON, and store it in a way that can adhere to a new standard at any time (upload old mod, website can spit out new 0.4 compatible mod!)
This is a little bit more work for me personally, and will take longer before you guys have the modpack parts working I think. But it's a bigger payoff because the modpack would still work from this conversion script + all other mod makers would not have to do the conversion work themselves = the overall work done by the modding community is significantly reduced, if I just have this simple conversion script...which just makes sense to put in the mod uploader database thing.

This update also changed what ScrapMechanicMods is (the youtube channel and discord)
I still want to produce SM modding focused content...but it's always been tough to keep up with the changes every update brings (so tutorials become outdated quick)
Perhaps the idea was a bit too early in the development of Scrap Mechanic.. But that's why the video content was mainly focused on modpack stuff.
Now with this update, even the modpack itself might change and possibly split even more / merge even more...it's so unknown at this time... so even the modpack SMM videos will be on hold.

I personally want to take some time to play through survival and learn what the game actually is, understand it, before even attempting to add content to that "balanced" system. Take the time to do it right, so that it's as awesome as possible.

Question:
What do you think is the most important thing for modding right now?
- that the modpack parts work in 0.4 creative mode as soon as possible, like right now
- the website development and things that may take a longer time, but pay off in the long run
- other survival mods like extra content that adds to the game
- something else, you tell me in the comments

Not that I will drop everything else I have to do for any one suggestion - but I'd like to get an idea of what you guys want from the game, and try to see where to go from there. Make a plan of action.

And either way, I have to take a long time to figure out what's the best way to make some of the modpack parts suitable for BOTH survival and creative modes, without splitting the parts or making different versions for each mode. So...it'll be a while folks...happens with every update, and this one was the biggest one...so the biggest time to wait :/

Thank you all for your understanding and support!
We'll definitely make the best of the best for ya 😉
< >
Showing 1-15 of 37 comments
[BBZ_] I_Got_Died May 10, 2020 @ 1:18pm 
I'd say the most important thing would be for me personally that all the mods (or most of them at least) work with 0.4. And I don't know if it works this way, but having all the old mods compatible with 0.4 and downloadable via the workshop would be faster than first developing a functioning modportal and then updating all the mods.
But I appreciate the time and effort you're putting into this, so that others can have a fantastic modded experience :)
haglo May 10, 2020 @ 4:30pm 
All right, straight to the point:
1.) It would be really nice if you/your team are able to get the 0.4.0 compatibility patch out ASAP, so mechanics, like myself, can get back to using number logic and the sorts.
2.) I don't have any room to comment on the website, as I have only used the workshop for mods. I will be sure to check it out though, and if it is anything like the Rigs Of Rods Repository/Documentation, then I would also prioritize its development.
3.) As for survival mods, well, if you have good ideas, do those first so your spark doesn't die. Even though I suspect that mod support/integration into survival will take a while as they are ironing out bugs and hiccups and balancing in survival, it's still good to make those ideas as the come, so they don't disappear.
4.) Something Else. I think an Auto On/Off timer would be really nice, like you set the period that it stays on, and then the period it stays off, and maybe output patterns, so like pulse for x ticks, on for y ticks, off for z ticks, and so on and so forth. I know you can do this with logic, but it takes up a lot of room, and can become confusing.

All in all,
Above all don't let your inspirations/ideas die, do those first
As soon as possible, 0.4.0 patch would be nice
Depending on what manpower you and your team has, website
Wherever it ranks on your list of priorities, Auto Timer

Thanks and keep up the great work!
光芒 May 10, 2020 @ 7:32pm 
First of all, thank you very much for making many mechanics have a better game experience. I think it's better to be compatible with version 0.4 and then develop the survival mode. Thank you again for your hard work
光芒 May 11, 2020 @ 4:59am 
It's better to add rocks and trees to the detector mode. In this way, the collection can be automated
Mattman May 11, 2020 @ 7:13am 
I would definetly recomend getting to work on making the parts work again in creative. I would consider adding crafting recipies after they work again in survival. As of now modded parts don't even appear as options in the creative inventory. I would also reccomend making some of you parts compatable with the Master Switch (new creative part)
Ryusho Yosei May 12, 2020 @ 1:28am 
I would think working in creative, with no availability in survival would be nice, and probably first, so that way people don't have to swap between survival update and creative update, to use the logic parts,

then working upon the site would most likely be the best second part, so that way you don't have to deal with constant requests on fixing the logic parts and similar.

after the site, or as a side thinng, working on new parts/mods or incorperating the parts into a survival version would be nice, but the modpack, especially the logic blocks which seems to be the main thing needing updating, help incredibly with making creations.
Jg_747 May 12, 2020 @ 2:34am 
No problem man, do what it needs to be done :steamhappy:
pato May 12, 2020 @ 10:51am 
😥😥😥😫😫😫😢😢😢😢😰😰😰😰😭😭😭😭😭😭
UnknownDev May 12, 2020 @ 6:54pm 
I love the website idea and think it should be the main focus to push mods forward. then a taste of survival mods would be nice.
Zanven May 12, 2020 @ 10:39pm 
this mod looks awesome.

in terms of priority, id say a working modpack for survival with limited parts would be most useful.

i.e things like the orientation block so things can be made to target farm bots and allow an automated defence system.

whatever you think would give the biggest quality of life improvements to survival with the lowest effort essentially.
ΛVΞΓIUM May 13, 2020 @ 12:31am 
The most important for me is a working modpack of course, to fix my broken workshop creations. After that, modpack parts in survival would be awesome. Because the modpack number logic parts make the game like ten times more interesting to play. Personally, Im not really interested in the website, and it seems that it takes most of your time, so I would pause that for sure until the modpack is fixed.
ImOnYourSide May 14, 2020 @ 10:19pm 
I play this game for survival and I'm probably in the minority but I prefer mods for that. :)
Fluffless May 16, 2020 @ 6:19am 
I highly recommend against setting up a custom website. Modding networks like https://www.nexusmods.com make it really easy to set up a site for a game and publish mods there. Furthermore, they provide all features a modding community needs.
We need The Modpack for creative. Without it its impossible to build good working machines like, my favorite, tanks with camera steering.
I agree with Ryusho Yosei
< >
Showing 1-15 of 37 comments
Per page: 1530 50