This game is now available on Steam!

Thanks for your help in getting this game selected for distribution via Steam. More information including a link to the Steam store page can be found below.

Greenlight is being retired. For more information on how to submit games to steam, refer to this blog post.
Xenosis: Alien Infection
EpicNerdRage  [developer] Feb 15, 2017 @ 4:47pm
The name Xenomorph
Hi everyone, firstly let me just say thank you for taking the time out of your day to comment and vote (both good or bad) I really do appreciate it.

Some interesting comments here, especially around the name! I was always under the impression that Xenomorph was a pretty generic term for an alien (a quick google shows it translating to "Alien Form", and was attributed to the Aliens film, due to that one line used in the film. Looking more into it, it has been a subject of much debate over the years....

The word itself is a Greek construct. It combines the prefix xeno, meaning "foreign" or "strange," with the suffix morph, which means a shape or form with the prefix’s supplied attributes. The word xenomorph in this context is a generic term for any "strange or foreign form"—any alien life form.
Taken from this article here: https://arstechnica.com/the-multiverse/2014/08/the-throwaway-line-in-aliens-that-spawned-decades-of-confusion/

It certainly is now making me scratch my head and think what to do... the way I see it, the name isn't owned by anyone, nor is it officially attributed to the Aliens films, but I do see how this could cause potential confusion...

I'm genuinely interested in what you all think about this, so please feel free to give your opinions on this too :)
< >
Showing 1-8 of 8 comments
PhistPhight Feb 16, 2017 @ 1:07am 
Hah went through the exact same thought process. I did also bring up xenomorph at some point but I decided it was a bit too closely attached to the Alien movies for my taste, however I think its totally legit. Not even sure if Alien can't be used (I mean, there is the Alien Swarm game). But having Alien or Xenomorph in the title is just great because you immediatly know what to expect from the game. Thats why I went with Biosignature. It was the best fresh alternative I could find for me.
EpicNerdRage  [developer] Feb 16, 2017 @ 2:06am 
Thats a good name! Yeah, I've been doing research all day on this, and quite a few people have made some valid points on this, both here and on forums. I think the biggest thing that I hadn't quite realised is that the name is just too generic, and is likely to get lost amidst the sea of aliens stuff, and as has been pointed out several times, is going to cause confusion.

I think I may well have to change the name, but that's ok as I am not too far down the line for that to be an issue :)
Lauriepsj Feb 16, 2017 @ 11:34am 
You have to consider... How many times will you have to have the Alien-Xenomorph discussion during the life of your game?
EpicNerdRage  [developer] Feb 16, 2017 @ 4:18pm 
Valid point ;)
Meetch Feb 18, 2017 @ 5:07am 
Yeah, when I saw this games title I assumed it was an Aliens like game, which isn't an issue. I'd kill for some more Alien-esque experiences. But its just a word, and as far as I know as well, 20th Centry Fox doesn't own the word. If your vision of this game requires it to be called Xenomorph I see no real reason to change it. A game I was working on a few years ago was called "Santarian". Just a word I made up that sounded interesting. You're free to use it. I stopped developent on that game quite a long time ago.
Del_Duio Feb 20, 2017 @ 7:21am 
I too thought this was supposed to be some sort of Alien game.
Gotta change that name, it'll only cause you headaches down the road!
The Sex Ghost Mar 9, 2017 @ 7:54am 
What if in the game you had items that set up but wouldn't change how you work?
Del_Duio Mar 12, 2017 @ 2:29pm 
Good move changing the name, better to do it now before it gets big!
< >
Showing 1-8 of 8 comments
Per page: 15 30 50