ARK: Survival Evolved

ARK: Survival Evolved

Structures Plus (Open Source)
orionsun  [developer] Jun 17 @ 11:18am
Homestead Issues
All servers that use S+ should set AllowIntegratedSPlusStructures=False in their GameUserSettings.ini file

If you do not use that setting then your players can craft and place Homestead structures which will be converted to their S+ version when you restart your server.

The affected structures are:

- Dedicated Storage
- Double Doors (Adobe, Greenhouse, Metal, Stone, Tek, Wood)
- Double Doorframes (Adobe, Greenhouse, Metal, Stone, Tek, Wood)
- Fence Supports (Adobe, Metal, Stone, Tek, Wood)
- Flexible Pipes (Stone, Metal)
- Flexible Wires
- Large Walls (Adobe, Metal, Stone, Tek, Wood)
- Ramps (Adobe, Metal, Stone, Tek, Wood)
- Triangle Ceilings (Adobe, Greenhouse, Metal, Stone, Tek, Wood)
- Triangle Foundations (Adobe, Metal, Stone, Tek, Wood)
- Triangle Roofs (Adobe, Greenhouse, Metal, Stone, Tek, Wood)

Note: most of the replies to this discussion are no longer relevant due to recent changes
Last edited by orionsun; Jul 4 @ 6:22pm
< >
Showing 1-15 of 46 comments
Daniel Jun 18 @ 9:15am 
how pi**ed were you when they messed the whole thing up? oh yeah were integrating S+ but heres the clicker, we are only adding a wall a funny shaped foundation and a half working storage box lol
Personally, I'd be fine with having the offending structures just be removed from the mod. Ramps don't really play a structural role and are relatively easy to replace. Same for doors. The tall wall and fence foundations might be somewhat of an issue for some peoples, but personally, I never had any love for those.
orionsun  [developer] Jun 18 @ 1:19pm 
I'd be fine with having the offending structures just be removed from the mod.

This is the difference between the average poster and a competent mod developer. You pick out a few structures you don't personally use and then assume all 2 million subscribers feel the same as you, which is just not accurate. Not to mention it also includes core structures like triangle foundations and ceilings which would affect the majority of users(even if what you said about the other structures holds true for most users).

You are also free to download the source and remove the structures but I do not have that luxury as I have existing users to think about.

how pi**ed were you when they messed the whole thing up?

Initially, it wasn't a big deal as this was a unique implementation and mistakes happen but the lack of any further work on it is definitely annoying if not unexpected. Very few people, if any, who work for Wildcard think building is an important part of their game and this is just the latest example of that.
can I still use this mod on my server?
I'm afraid that with a new updates incoming from WC this mod could become unstable of buggy?
Or is it safe to be used?
Originally posted by orionsun:
This is the difference between the average poster and a competent mod developer. You pick out a few structures you don't personally use and then assume all 2 million subscribers feel the same as you, which is just not accurate.

Well, that's another thing. I've been playing games long enough to understand that things changes and things break. That's just one of the things that you need to accept as a gamer. I would much rather deal with a lot of short term pain then a long term annoyance. If you give enough of a heads up to peoples that you are making sweeping changes, then there's really no reason why peoples wouldn't be able to plan for that change. As it is, a half change is only going to result in the previous poster's question being asked again and again and again. Nobody likes uncertainty and anything which feels buggy will breed uncertainty with those making use of the mod.
Daniel Jun 19 @ 8:07am 
Originally posted by AngryDragon:
I've been playing games long enough to understand that things changes and things break. That's just one of the things that you need to accept as a gamer. I would much rather deal with a lot of short term pain then a long term annoyance.

If short term annoyance means losing my entire base sure go for it lol I have AllowIntegratedSPlusStructures=false in my world so every structure that has a homestead counterpart would need to be replaced.

Initially, it wasn't a big deal as this was a unique implementation and mistakes happen but the lack of any further work on it is definitely annoying if not unexpected.

i remember them announcing it, and saying "fully" integrate S+ and Platforms+ features and have toggle able options as it is available in the mod, as a console player at the time it had me excited and then homestead come around and it just felt like a punch to the gut, i get that most of the features are op on official servers but im sure they realize that much of their player base lives on unofficial, but anyways thanks for creating an awesome set of mods you definitely made the game bearable for an extra couple of years.
Originally posted by Daniel:
Originally posted by AngryDragon:
I've been playing games long enough to understand that things changes and things break. That's just one of the things that you need to accept as a gamer. I would much rather deal with a lot of short term pain then a long term annoyance.

If short term annoyance means losing my entire base sure go for it lol I have AllowIntegratedSPlusStructures=false in my world so every structure that has a homestead counterpart would need to be replaced.

I guess I should probably have given a bit more context on how I use S+. I actually don't make much use of the structures. For the most part, I use the utility part of the mod as well as the production and storage structures. If I could have just those, I would be happy.

As for updating the mod, the solution that I proposed in my first post was mostly an understanding that he really didn't want to do it and that could have been a really quick and dirty way of doing it and it would have solved my problem. What he's proposed, would be a half solution which would still see vanilla structures being turned into their S+ counterparts. At that point, I might just be better off uninstalling the mod.

What I'm getting to is that there's really no clean way of doing this without causing problems for some peoples. We've mostly been discussing half solutions so far. If Orionson is willing to do it, my understanding is that there is a way to do this and fix all of those issues for good. Orionson mentioned that new structures could be created. The best way to do this would be to do it in two updates. Update one adds the new structures alongside the existing structures as well as a converter so that the old S+ structures can be converted to the new version. Update 2 takes out the old version and the converter.

Originally posted by Daniel:
[...]as a console player at the time it had me excited and then homestead come around and it just felt like a punch to the gut, i get that most of the features are op on official servers but im sure they realize that much of their player base lives on unofficial, but anyways thanks for creating an awesome set of mods you definitely made the game bearable for an extra couple of years.

I think that Orionson might have it right when he says that they don't think that building is an important part of their game. It's a real shame. For that matter, there are still some beacons on Ragnarok which can't be accessed. Ragnarok has been a part of the game for a long while. I'm certain that it's been reported multiple times and it likely would not take more then 5 minutes to fix and yet, they can't even be bothered to do that much. Great game, but the support they give beyond release is really poor. In that context, I kind of do understand why he did not really want to update his mod. It's not his job, or that of other modders to fix the game for Wildcard so that we can enjoy it.
Last edited by AngryDragon; Jun 19 @ 10:56am
orionsun  [developer] Jun 19 @ 2:58pm 
The best way to do this would be to do it in two updates.

That is the only solution that I could do but there are still issues with it.

The first being that every one of the 2 million subscribers would have to convert their structures in that timeframe and for people who are taking a break from ARK or simply don't have time to play, it would still end up in the destruction of all of their structures.

The second being that converting placed structures has more issues than converting the item(ie how the S+ converter works now). You need to re-link every structure, set owners, tribes, etc and given how finicky structures are when destroyed makes it too risky for me to want to do. Even if everything is properly handled, there is still a chance for random stuff to be destroyed along with the old structures. And requiring people to pick up every old structure and manually convert is not really a solution imo.

For the most part, I use the utility part of the mod as well as the production and storage structures. If I could have just those, I would be happy.

You have 2 options that I am aware of:

Breeder's Delight

Kewee QoL Tools
Last edited by orionsun; Jun 19 @ 2:59pm
Primitive Jun 19 @ 11:02pm 
I was considering using this mod in a server I'm about to start up but I'm a bit confused. How much of this mod was incorporated into the homestead update? I know the hatchery/tools weren't added based on your comment above but is there anything else? What would I gain by having this mod installed on my server and if I were to have it on my server, how would these bugs effect our experience at all if we are starting from a fresh, wiped server? Thank you.
Kat Jun 20 @ 1:00am 
IVery few people, if any, who work for Wildcard think building is an important part of their game and this is just the latest example of that.

Ark was made for PvP and noone cares about the PvE community and their needs. Let's just make new kibble! They be happy.

Are you maybe planning to fix snap points in Platforms+, since you're around? People would be eternally grateful.
Last edited by Kat; Jun 20 @ 1:00am
@Primitive Homestead basically just added triangles. S+ has so much more than that. Just look at the screenshot rotation on the front of the mod page for examples.

@Kat Already fixed: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1714874782
orionsun  [developer] Jun 20 @ 9:00am 
Ark was made for PvP and noone cares about the PvE community and their needs.

I would say that building mechanics affects the PvP community even more than the PvE community because they are building more often due stuff being destroyed.
Last edited by orionsun; Jun 20 @ 9:00am
Kat Jun 20 @ 1:24pm 
I would say that building mechanics affects the PvP community even more than the PvE community because they are building more often due stuff being destroyed.
True, but S+ brings more creative building, people use it to build castles, mansions and stuff, while PvP sticks to simple metal boxes :D
Tebo Jun 20 @ 4:09pm 
I honestly wouldn't mind if orionsun recooked Platforms Plus and renders my mod obsolete. I'm fine with either of us maintaining it, so if he does decide to pick the mod back up I'll help my current subscribers transition back. In the meantime I'll be keeping an eye on it to make sure it's safe from future WC updates while I work on my other projects.
The best way to do this would be to do it in two updates.
The second being that converting placed structures has more issues than converting the item(ie how the S+ converter works now). You need to re-link every structure, set owners, tribes, etc and given how finicky structures are when destroyed makes it too risky for me to want to do. Even if everything is properly handled, there is still a chance for random stuff to be destroyed along with the old structures. And requiring people to pick up every old structure and manually convert is not really a solution imo.

What I had in mind when I posted that was something exactly along the lines of the existing S+ converter. With the S+ demo gun, it's really easy to just pull out structures, convert them and then rebuild. Then again, while i do have some structures which are somewhat more complex, I don't have anything that would fail from having a few foundations pulled out, or that would be a pain to rebuild.
< >
Showing 1-15 of 46 comments
Per page: 15 30 50