This game is now available on Steam!

Thanks for your help in getting this game selected for distribution via Steam. More information including a link to the Steam store page can be found below.

Greenlight is being retired. For more information on how to submit games to steam, refer to this blog post.
Memory of a Broken Dimension
Ahaz Sep 19, 2014 @ 9:25am
Is there an enemy?
The setting and atmosphere is unsettling and to a point, claustrophobic. But I always felt that something that appeared out of nowhere would really tip the feel. Like in the game SCP-087 where you see a blanket of shadow for the first time. What are your thoughts people?
< >
Showing 1-14 of 14 comments
Shaamaan Sep 21, 2014 @ 4:28am 
Gosh, I really hope not.

I'd rather be unsettled by what you uncover, rather than some cheap jump scares.
Kant Destroyer Sep 21, 2014 @ 4:58am 
i would like if there were no enemy, so all the scariness comes from the fact that you dont know anything about the... place
░▒▒▒░ Sep 23, 2014 @ 4:36pm 
No.

Really though. Can kids stop trying to shove their ♥♥♥♥♥♥ SCPs and half-♥♥♥♥♥ creepypastas into everything these days? Nobody's interested in shallow jumpscares that only exist to get ~wacky facecam reactions~ from 13 year old youtubers. (Unless you're one of said 13 year old youtubers.)
Last edited by ░▒▒▒░; Sep 23, 2014 @ 4:49pm
Dragonhartt Sep 25, 2014 @ 9:59pm 
I think that this game would suffer from having an enemy that could kill you , however I believe that the game would benifit from having a character that couldn't kill you but still have a hostile , or genaraly scary apperance , and vibe. I believe the game would benifit from having a character like g-man from half-life constantly being near the player , but almost never being seen.
amps Sep 27, 2014 @ 7:28am 
Why would you want to ruin all the time and effort the Dev spent building a solid atmosphere by shoving in a bunch of cheap jump-scares? That's a terrible idea.

You said it yourself: The game feels "claustrophobic" to you, it would seem a lot less claustrophobic if there was dumb monsters popping out at you every once and a while.
Last edited by amps; Mar 11, 2015 @ 4:02pm
Chris Cross Sep 28, 2014 @ 2:04pm 
I'm not sure about opposing enemy/ies, but there could be 2 things though: fragmented replies from the console or remote... (i.e. more commands, etc.); and the worst enemy can only be yourself!
Th3l0stSpart4n Oct 11, 2014 @ 1:26pm 
Originally posted by zipax:
I'm not sure about opposing enemy/ies, but there could be 2 things though: fragmented replies from the console or remote... (i.e. more commands, etc.); and the worst enemy can only be yourself!
Yes...
All the yes.
never not here Oct 12, 2014 @ 6:48pm 
I would rather there be no enemies... Partaly because this looks like the type of game that relys on atmosphere and story, and i think that it would be rather dificult to evade a monster while trying to find your way about in this game. It could add uneeded frustration were there didnt need to be any.
I also agree with zipax, it would be freaky to randomly get strange replys/ promps in the command prompt. I think it would add to the question of what you have uncoverd.
Last edited by never not here; Oct 12, 2014 @ 6:51pm
Kyozumo Oct 18, 2014 @ 7:04pm 
I would rather there be no enemies, in my own opinion, what makes this interesting is the fact that you're roaming alone in an unfinished/incomplete world. Trying to lear more about it, thats a concept that dosnt need the pressure of an enemy to keep itself going.
sonlinne Oct 30, 2014 @ 6:48am 
Honestly I think it should be the program driving you insane and you need to get out or something, but if not something like that then nothing.
Kant Destroyer Nov 12, 2014 @ 3:35am 
Maybe merging Dragonhartt's gman and the command/prompt system is a good idea. If player would be getting messages from an unknown persons (or maybe not even a person), that says him what to do to uncover the truth or he/she/it/anything else won't let him exit, that could get scary and make the character hopeless. That would be scary.
Odysseus Dec 14, 2014 @ 3:23pm 
Originally posted by Shaamaan:
Gosh, I really hope not.

I'd rather be unsettled by what you uncover, rather than some cheap jump scares.
That's what I think. Knowing that there were going to be jump scares would reduce my chances of buying the game by roughly 32.56%
Last edited by Odysseus; Dec 14, 2014 @ 3:23pm
Cydonia Jan 7, 2015 @ 3:59pm 
If there was to be an 'enemy' following the player through each dive, it would be cool if it was somehow the result of the player entering incorrect commands in RELICS.

It wouldn't look either humanoid or like any animal, but like a sort of screeching/screaming amorphic, static-y, data blob, made up of an amalgamation of errors, like an unknown intelligence trying to assemble itself from all the broken detritus of the system. :clementineelf:
Shaamaan Mar 11, 2015 @ 3:48pm 
I came back to check up on the progress of MOABD and was reminded about this thread.

I know it's late, but I think I'll add this: I thought the short demo with the text console was increadibly spooky. The console, with it's eerie sound design, replaced words and occasional "glitches"... well, I felt unettled, to say the very least.

Now - that alone probably wouldn't be enough, but have the replaced words actually form a story? Bam, more unsettling stuff can emerge. That little thing also reacted when I tried to call for help, press Escape or type in exit - those little things add to the atmosphere, and there ought to be more of them.

I wouldn't mind some kind of antropomorphic entity trying to "get" you at some point, but there shouldn't be a "death" state - I'd rather see it mess with the RELICS OS as the player is using it. I think subtelty and mystery are qualities one should look for in this case.

All in all, I much prefer games where the real enemy, is the player itself (like Antichamber, just to give an example) - but this is of course only my subjective preference. ;)
< >
Showing 1-14 of 14 comments
Per page: 15 30 50