Dota 2
Warlock Brawl
Adynathos  [developer] Nov 9, 2014 @ 4:48am
Do you want a Warlock standalone game?
Would you be interested in a Warlock standalone game?
Warlock has existed for a long time and we have been working on a standalone in the previous year. However when Dota2 modding was announced, we have switched to produce the Dota2 version of WL. Also, a completely new version of Unreal Engine has been released and I have been learning the new technology.

Now I think I have the technology and knowledge to create the standalone Warlock game. However, a multiplayer game is useless if there is no community and no matches are hosted. Therefore I would like to see who would be interested in such a game.

Lets review what that standalone WL would mean:

Positive: new features
  • controls: key rebinding, new controls like holding the mouse for constant effect
  • stats (persistent ranking, spell accuracy stats etc)
  • new mechanics: there are many ideas what new concepts could be introduced into WL, we considered custom spells for example
    anyway, development of the standalone would mean that those concepts could be tested (and maybe some of them will be good)

Negative:
  • infrastructure: we cannot compete with Dota's huge infrastructure (dedicated servers, steam integration)
  • players/community: if there are not enough active players, no matches will be hosted. Dota has a huge amount of players.
    (this is why i am asking if you would be interested)
  • separate installation: you will need to download a few hunderd MB game and install it
  • it will take time to make

A multiplayer game can only exist if it has an active community...
If you like Warlock and would be interested in playing the standalone Warlock game, please reply here (or here[www.warlockbrawl.com]).
< >
Showing 1-15 of 26 comments
MSchild Nov 18, 2014 @ 6:21am 
I just want to play Warlock and would hate to see this die.
Arandomperson Nov 27, 2014 @ 4:57pm 
same here, I would play the♥♥♥♥♥♥out of it but I dont know if there would be enough people
Agret Dec 23, 2014 @ 11:37pm 
DOTA 2 is a better solution than making your own game. It's free to play so it's not like there is a barrier to entry. I would say only need to make own game if you want to release on consoles too which would be pretty fun 4 player on a TV.
D1g1c0cK Dec 30, 2014 @ 2:16am 
I would pay to play a stand alone Warlock game. With controller support, it could be added to the PS4, and then it would make a great game for when you have company over.

With enough added features, such as more environmental hazards, hero customization, and more modes, such as a survival mode, I could definitely see it be worth your time

Just remember, local multiplayer is crucial.
1up Jan 13, 2015 @ 5:14am 
maybe create a game thats simillar to this on a console? but DO NOT TURN THIS CUSTOM GAME TO A STAND-ALONE GAME. its par of dota and should always be.
Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes. That is all.
Jinzakk Jan 31, 2015 @ 3:02pm 
couldnt make warlocks as a dota2 mode ( like deathmatch/ability draft etc) so we could have more ppl playing.Warlock is a part of dota same as other dota mini games.Would like to see Uthers party soon too:P
danmerey Mar 3, 2015 @ 12:57am 
I would like to play warlocks standalone. I like Warcraft 3 version, Magecraft (sc2 map). Didn't play dota2 version, but I'll try soon :) Most problem in Magecraft — no community.
Zz1m Mar 3, 2015 @ 11:51am 
invite me
Blek Jun 14, 2015 @ 12:28pm 
I'm likely late, but I feel like this game has a much brighter future as a Dota 2 custom game than as a standalone version. Stats are not really essential, and there's still plenty of new mechanics to be explored within Dota 2's engine's constraints. Of course it could be cool to have all the development freedom there is, but the game would never gain the same attention as if it it were a Dota 2 custom game. When Source 2 (and custom games) officially come out, there will be a lot of people interested in new stuff to play, and Warlock could really use the opportunity to make new fans. I have the impression that a standalone would only appeal to old players of WC3 Warlocks, which are a much smaller group.
Last edited by Blek; Jun 14, 2015 @ 12:28pm
Muttley Jun 15, 2015 @ 10:29am 
Launch a Kickstarter for it!!! I'm in with all my godamn fireballs! I'm pretty sure a lot of people would go and cooperate. We just need to publish it in the Hive Workshop and Dota communities. Everyone LOVED Warlock.
I wan !!!!!!i love this game 5year alrd !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!pls !!!!gogogo
let warlock go to competiotion in world !!!!!!!!!!!!!!let everyone know this game and love this game

Last edited by 遇见你是最美丽的意外; Jun 20, 2015 @ 9:56pm
Mr_Sam ☺👌 Jun 21, 2015 @ 5:45pm 
thats a neat idea, but it seems that the fanbase is too small to make it worth the effort
glass Jun 22, 2015 @ 1:30am 
I don't feel like the playerbase is big enough to sustain.
FriedFrog Jun 28, 2015 @ 4:28pm 
Warlocks will be fun inside Dota 2 but I am really afraid you won't find enough people to play the standalone and you would waste your time developing it. Just keep working on D2 version, please.
< >
Showing 1-15 of 26 comments
Per page: 15 30 50