Don't Starve

Don't Starve

Pickle It
This topic has been locked
Xaben  [developer] Dec 30, 2013 @ 11:56am
Mod ideas/suggestions
If anyone has any ideas/suggestions for Pickle It, we'd love to hear about them!
< >
Showing 1-15 of 27 comments
More vegetables! Things like tomatoes, wheat, and potatoes!
Black Cheshir Jan 27, 2014 @ 5:23am 
-10 Sanity is too much. make it -1 or -2.
Vuohi Mar 5, 2014 @ 6:27am 
Edit - never mind, I saw mushroom pickling was already implemented. The description didn't mention them.
Last edited by Vuohi; Mar 5, 2014 @ 11:55am
raw willpower Mar 8, 2014 @ 7:25pm 
This is kinda silly but that's just me trying to be creative but, what if there was a shining pickler? it would be crafted slightly differently with fireflies or light bulbs but you could make food glow and shine. Instead of making it last longer, maybe glows when dropped and gives random bonuses/penealties. Just one of my crazy ideas :D.
Vuohi Mar 10, 2014 @ 1:49am 
I've been using this for a while now. I like the new foods, but I don't find myself using the pickling barrel very often. The main problem is that you need a crockpot to make the pickle barrel, and having the crockpot makes the barrel somewhat redundant. I think the wet goop crafting ingredient should be replaced with something else so the barrel could serve as an alternate, rather than additional, cooking tool.
Also, I find valid picklable foods turning into mush a little too easily.
Vuohi Mar 10, 2014 @ 6:56am 
Why do pickled vegetables take so much sanity anyway? I could understand -1 or so, but I can't imagine eating a pickled radish to be as unpleasant as eating the fried meat of a hideous monster.
Clarion77 Mar 11, 2014 @ 9:27pm 
Frankly, when I see that hideous spider queen roaming around that pretty much makes me a little crazy. But pickled beets? I'm really glad for the variety of vegetables that can be found. If a person doesn't get goop, like I did the second time I used the pickler, the volume of food put in the picker can be doubled, as that opens up garden plots for additional planting and harvesting. This goop thing is a problem.
Kefke Mar 27, 2014 @ 2:58pm 
There's a few things about this mod I'm a little worried about. First off, I think that Sauerkraut ought to be positive sanity, like Pickles, since it's another "common" pickled food. Also because, as it stands, Roast Cabbage is so much better than Sauerkraut that I can't imagine ever being in a situation where I'd rather wait days for the latter than have the former right away. Which, actually, is a problem I have overall. With how long pickling takes, I find that if I have enough production that denying myself six pieces of food for that long isn't suicide, I have enough production that I can produce higher-value food (which applies no penalties) as there is a demand for it. They say that pickled foods are good for you, so maybe raise the health benefits a little bit?

Other than that, I think it would be nice to have a bit more room in the barrel, and maybe add the ability for some combining recipes. Say you had a third row, and you set it up so that things combine in the same vertical column. So, for example, a Cucumber makes a Pickle...but a Cucumber, then a "Dill Weed", gets you a "Dill Pickle", and if you add "Garlic" under that you get a "Gourmet Pickle", but remove the "Dill Weed" and you just get a Pickle and "Pickled Garlic" (quotation marks for things that would be added). Honey could be used to make sweet pickles. It would also be pretty cool to have cross-mod support with Tiny Alchemy Powers, to take use of their Salt. Maybe it could make "Brine", which could be used on pickled foods to restore some of their freshness, or used in a crock pot to make Salt Pork and Salted Fish (even slower to spoil but even less benefit than a pickle)? Alternately, brine could be made from two empty slots when pickling.

Finally, to round things off, some food suggestions...

Some advanced recipes would be cool, like if meat, onion, pickle, and something else made a "Hamburger" (with T.A.P support, having Cheese could make it a "Cheeseburger"). Two meat, Sauerkraut, and an Egg might make "Herr Von Breakfastien" (or some other suitably corny name), a plate of sliced hard boiled egg, sausage, and sauerkraut, while using Pigs Feet, Sauerkraut, a vegetable, and a filler item gets you a "Frankfurter", looking like your typical stadium hotdog.

Maybe add some more cultural food as well. For some dangerous foods, go with "Lutefisk" from pickling Fish + Ash + empty slot, or "Thousand-year Egg" by pickling Egg + Rot + Ash or pickling Rotten Egg + Ash...basically these would be a HUGE hunger boost, extra-slow spoilage, but give a hit of ten or more to health and sanity. For more tame options, some ideas based on Japanese cuisine. First off, though not entirely accurate, add "Rice" that can be pickled into "Sushi Rice". Change it so Unagi requires this, and add a similar recipe with regular Fish for just plain Sushi. Add the ability to pickle some fruits (at least berries) into "Pickled Plum" or "Umeboshi", and have a third recipe using that to make "Onigiri" (rice balls). Rice could also go in the crock pot to make dishes like "Fried Rice" with meat and vegetables, or "Risotto" with a vegetable or two and Butter (on the campfire it could just make a bowl of "White Rice").

Edit: Since it's in a nursery rhyme...how about pickled peppers? Could also lead to spicy foods, stuffed peppers, or using Don't Starve logic, both.
Last edited by Kefke; Mar 27, 2014 @ 3:10pm
Eshwald Apr 5, 2014 @ 10:20am 
Maybe to make pickle food more usefull you could ad like "Kefke" bevor suggested an additional Row in the Barrel for flavours. I Could imagine for example a mint flavour by adding mint (new plant) which provides a cooling effekt for all the pickled food in the Barrel. When eaten it could help to cool you down in the Summer by lowering the body temperature. Or a Chili flavour for heating you up in the Winter when it's cold outside. Just to make Pickled food more usefull
Genrul Gruvs May 15, 2014 @ 8:13am 
I just had a taste of swedish surstromming. It is fish that has been fermenting in a barrel full of salt and liqour for a month and then left in a can for about a year. From my experience tasting it i would give it these stats.

Sanity: -25
Hunger: +14.5
Health: +30

To make the pickling process more realistic my suggestion would be (If you can manage)
have 4 fish and 2 ash in the pickling barrel for 6 days.

Also, it is highly explosive. It is illeagal on most airports.
Last edited by Genrul Gruvs; May 15, 2014 @ 8:31am
Vuohi Jun 27, 2014 @ 3:15am 
One more thing: why does the barrel need gold? It makes the recipe kind of needlessly expensive compared to drying racks, which perform a similar function for meat.
I would suggest replacing the gold with rope or twigs for making the barrel bindings.
Genrul Gruvs Jun 27, 2014 @ 3:30am 
Originally posted by Vuohi:
One more thing: why does the barrel need gold? It makes the recipe kind of needlessly expensive compared to drying racks, which perform a similar function for meat.
I would suggest replacing the gold with rope or twigs for making the barrel bindings.
Maybe it could have snurtle slime required for the barrels "waterproofness"
Vuohi Jul 1, 2014 @ 5:53am 
Slime is even harder to get than gold, though.
BasedNetCode.wav Jul 5, 2014 @ 3:50pm 
Add the propogator tag to the radishes and beets.

Make it so withered radishes give out radish seeds instead of radishes. Radishes go straight to bolt in too hot weather.
crunchyLeaf Dec 26, 2014 @ 6:46pm 
Is it possible to make it so that pickled foods can be used in the Crock Pot? I'm surprised this wasn't the case already, considering jerky (which does a similar thing for meats) works just as well as fresh meat in recipes.
< >
Showing 1-15 of 27 comments
Per page: 1530 50