Garry's Mod

Garry's Mod

gmDoom
Turbochop Mar 28, 2013 @ 4:40am
Doom "Level" Scenarios not feasible?
Okay, so I laid out a little level on the space build map "gm_galactic". I placed all my little monsters, placed a few items and weapons here and there until there was some semblance of balance. I then looked over my work with pride. :) After I use up all my ammo except 50 bullets (is there a mod out there to completely strip you of weapons?), I gleefully get into starting postion and enable AI (This is going to be fun!).

I loose my first shot... and it was heard by every monster on the map. Oh my god the lag, the LAG. Every single enemy dedicated my processing power to finding out what the hell that noise was. I take it there are no rules for sound travel? As it stands, there is no way to make any kind of level. At least, not with the baddie density of doom.
< >
Showing 1-3 of 3 comments
ghor  [developer] Mar 28, 2013 @ 10:48am 
Whether a monster hears a sound or not is determined by whether or not it is in the Potential Visibility Set of the sound's origin. It used to be based on the Potential Audibility Set, but that turned out to have even longer range! The lag can get pretty bad with huge numbers of active monsters, yes; this is mostly a consequence of the trace-based movement code. Traces seem to be more expensive on some maps than others, gm_bigcity being one notable case. There doesn't seem to be a whole lot I can do about this for now, but you can try "doom_sv_monster_drop" and "doom_sv_monster_cheapfloat" to make monster navigation dumber and cheaper.
Dead-Cat-Dance Mar 29, 2013 @ 1:04am 
I`m new to GM and I have same question. How to fill map with mobs properly?
Willow the Sinner Mar 31, 2013 @ 3:52am 
With Blood, Swet, & a lot of wastable time.
< >
Showing 1-3 of 3 comments
Per page: 1530 50