STAR WARS™ Empire at War: Gold Pack

STAR WARS™ Empire at War: Gold Pack

FOC Alliance Rebellion by Nomada_Firefox
Del Brass Dec 26, 2017 @ 3:51pm
My take on the mod so far (very limited playtime; constructive criticism inside)
@Nomada_Firefox,

I hope you're doing well. Honestly, your hard work shows with this mod, and I think it's a very fun and enjoyable experience that brings both unique factions and ideas to the table, many of which I actually haven't seen before! Talk about a surprising and highly pleasing change, especially with the absolutely colossal variety in the ground units! However, there are some issues that I want your comments on:

1. No truly colossal ships in MP.

The fact that you stuck with your guns and made most of the models on your own is highly respectable, and it honestly shows how dedicated you were to this. However, with that in mind, I think that there should be gigantic ships in Skirmishes and MP (i.e. the Executor, Eclipse, etc.,) at their full size to boot. No nerfed tiny stuff where they're hardly bigger than a normal SD; I'm talking the ones you find in the Galactic Conquest of most other mods that include them- colossal, map hogging dreadnoughts that scream "you're ♥♥♥♥ed." The mods that included these in MP, such as BF Commander (it only allows the Executor and Malevolence, but that's awesome anyways) really nailed a sense of scope and scale; making it feel like there was a gigantic naval war.

As of now, the Imperials, for example, get an Imperial MK II as their final ship. That's something that's been done a lot before, and so it's a let down, especially considering how the Republic has the Mandator I. Speaking of that- what I mentioned above about dinky nerfed stuff sadly applies to the Republic's Mandator I. The model it has now feels underarmed, weak, and really small. It needs major upscaling and uparming/shielding to make it feel like a major player on the galactic battlefield. Hell, the Rebel Mon Cal Cruisers are bigger and nastier when they should be way smaller than the behemoth Mandator.

Even so, what's the point if...

2. Torpedos/bombs are the most OP things in this.

They one shot modules and make big ships a complete joke! You could win this by just spamming the bomber unit of your respective faction and nuking everything without any fear. It takes away a lot of the fun of EaW space combat in general, and it also makes the admittedly unique and fun concept of Hero recruiting mini stations disgustingly powerful. One is capable of, no joke, taking out three ships in one fell swoop because it constantly one shots their hardpoints. Bombs need a hefty nerfing.

This isn't World War II, where bombs and torpedoes really were that much of a threat to naval assets. This is Star Wars, where the big ships take center stage most of the time.

Since my experience is limited, these are the two biggest problems I have so far. I'll get to antyhing else I find a bit iffy in due time. Thank you for taking your time to read all this.

EDIT: I've done ground combat, and there are problems here too.

1. The AI can call in Heroes even with Heroes turned off.

This is probably a genuine bug, but I just find it weird. I can't summon heroes, and the AI shouldn't be able to either.

2. The AI gangs up on you.

No joke, the AI here wants your head. In a 3 way free for all with me as the Empire against a Republic and Seperatist AI, they both went RIGHT FOR ME instead of even glancing at each other. I don't know what's causing this, but it's definitely an issue and needs to be fixed. Thankfully, I was able to fend them off with a certain unit, but...

3. Flamethrower droids are hilariously OP

... The ♥♥♥♥?! These things melt tanks through shields, demolish heroes, and crush literally everything but air units in seconds. They're hilariously over the top and need to be changed to both do less damage and damage shields, then base health.

https://steamuserimages-a.akamaihd.net/ugc/906778958309016257/2D10D3B51E8E5346E600D49FEA59F66A41D61C37/

Low health, but has shields at maximum.

https://steamuserimages-a.akamaihd.net/ugc/906778958309016473/A6AA1E350D57FCD5B757A281A2F955964DB65488/

The literal instant after I ordered one of my droids to hit it.

Another thing:

4. SPIDERMAN, SPIDERMAN! EVERY TANK IS SPIDERMAN!

https://steamuserimages-a.akamaihd.net/ugc/906778958309007927/ACB330E678456CB2597FA33B3A4525EA976853A2/

https://steamuserimages-a.akamaihd.net/ugc/906778958309008126/E57587A6B41BBB07ABC89C2EE610380B85D620A7/

https://steamuserimages-a.akamaihd.net/ugc/906778958309008331/728127843B5E9ABB7F1D782A71C52296A31E6FC6/

I... I don't need to describe the problem here. It makes places like the third team's base on Ryloth uselessly positioned since the advantage of a chokepoint goes out the window with this. I admit I busted a gut laughing, but this isn't good.

5. Cad Bane is... Invincible.

https://steamuserimages-a.akamaihd.net/ugc/906778958309059375/405564FAE5318684ABCA054F05BCB0B61B88AD88/

This is definitey a bug, and one that breaks the CiS.

EDIT: As it turns out, you need to kill him with the artillery units. With that out of the way, he still needs to be vulnerable to all other weapons.

I'll keep this updated.
Last edited by Del Brass; Dec 26, 2017 @ 5:44pm
< >
Showing 16-30 of 30 comments
Nomada_Firefox  [developer] Dec 31, 2017 @ 12:54am 
Originally posted by Del Brass:
Originally posted by Nomada_Firefox:
Yes. Other point. If the fighters/bombers have limited torpedoes, their lasers should be more useful.

That's a good plan.
However if their lasers are more useful, they would destroy enemy fighters/bombers easier. Perhaps they should be more resistant. However I will make the change by steps, I have many experience with what bad can be a big change in one time. Things must be tested.

But my plans are release the first update one day of these. Other point, only the 8.0 will add all the changes. The 7.63 will add the update in the ships weapons. But not the other things.
Last edited by Nomada_Firefox; Dec 31, 2017 @ 12:55am
SovietOtter Dec 31, 2017 @ 9:02am 
wow
Del Brass Dec 31, 2017 @ 10:24am 

That's a good plan.
However if their lasers are more useful, they would destroy enemy fighters/bombers easier. Perhaps they should be more resistant. However I will make the change by steps, I have many experience with what bad can be a big change in one time. Things must be tested.

But my plans are release the first update one day of these. Other point, only the 8.0 will add all the changes. The 7.63 will add the update in the ships weapons. But not the other things.

Indeed; take your time.
Originally posted by hello123:
can any one tell me why it will not download i think ive tryed everything please help
You have to restart Steam, EAW/FOC is one of the only games I've ever seen have so many issues downloading from the workshop.
Nomada_Firefox  [developer] Dec 31, 2017 @ 1:58pm 
Originally posted by Tanith 1st Ibram Gaunt:
Originally posted by hello123:
can any one tell me why it will not download i think ive tryed everything please help
You have to restart Steam, EAW/FOC is one of the only games I've ever seen have so many issues downloading from the workshop.
The problem is not exclusive from this workshop, I have seen it with more games, even original games patches. It is a matter from Steam.
Nomada_Firefox  [developer] Dec 31, 2017 @ 11:57pm 

Indeed; take your time.
One day, no more. It is easy.
Nomada_Firefox  [developer] Jan 7, 2018 @ 2:06am 
This is a example from a battle ship vs ship. An Imperial Star Destroyer vs a Corellian Corvette. The point from this was how previously the Corvette could resist too much time the fire from the Star Destroyer. Now it does not happen as you can see.
https://youtu.be/sfNA6RXUyOU
Del Brass Jan 7, 2018 @ 10:05am 
Excellent work.
adem1991 Jan 9, 2018 @ 12:49pm 
I also love the mode and share the opinions of @Del Brass.

But @Nomada_Firefox: I have a other problem with the mode: Every time if I try to start a saved game the game crashes. So at the moment I only can play skirmish mode.

Any suggestions for that? For your information: I installed the mode exactly like your suggestions. Also moved the AI folder. Every thing works great except that one thing.

I hope you have an idea :)
Nomada_Firefox  [developer] Jan 9, 2018 @ 12:53pm 
In the end of the mod description is my recomendation.
DrVáter Jan 12, 2018 @ 11:03am 
Lo primero, muchisimas gracias por tu trabajo en este gran mod, de los mejores que hay en este juego desde hace mucho tiempo. Hay algunos "problemas" de equilibrio entre facciones en mi opinion, los cazas de los rebeldes y de el imperio kryat/fel hacen mucho daños con los torpedos a las naves lo digo porque yo y mi amigo jugando el con los rebeldes y yo con el imperio me tumbo dos destructores con alas Y y alas X teniendo yo corvetas antinaves en nada de tiempo. Muchas gracias por arreglar lo del los mapas cutomizados en el multiplayer, a ver si le gusta cuando le saque varios SSD xD. Espero que sigas trabajando en este mod y te deseo lo mejor :D. Muchas gracias por todo tu esfuerzo.
Nomada_Firefox  [developer] Jan 12, 2018 @ 1:26pm 
¿Cuantos Ala Y y Ala X estaba usando? hay una cosa que desconozco y es que nivel de dificultad se aplica en multijugador. Puede que ese sea el problema. Pero en este momento ese tipo de armas son limitadas en cantidad. En cualquier caso el mod requiere tacticas y no esta pensado como un RTS, intento cada dia añadir algo que lo haga más parecido a un Wargame.
DrVáter Jan 12, 2018 @ 3:13pm 
Tenia 3 "portaaviones" que cuestan poco que tienen los rebeldes, algo así como 4 ala x y 2 ala y en todo momento, más o menos.
Nomada_Firefox  [developer] Jan 13, 2018 @ 12:19am 
¿Y no se te ocurrio usar los destructores contra los Portacazas? ¿y si tenias corvetas anticaza no usaste sus habilidades contra los cazas enemigos? porque era lo que tenias que haber hecho.;)
Nomada_Firefox  [developer] Mar 11, 2018 @ 3:16am 
After many time playing and testing. I go to make another change. I go to remove the limit in the reload time because it is useless. The biggest problem here from my perspective was think in the fighters/bombers as another starship when they should be thought more as if they were cards in a table game.

By this reason by example, bombers without shields as the TIE Bomber will be now very vulnerable to Interceptor attacks as the A-Wing.

At the same time, superiority fighters as the X-wing are very good against fighters without shields as the TIE Fighter.

Some advanced fighters are very good againts both type.

Shields will add an additional survival chance to some weak bombers/fighters.

For be clear, when I say very vulnerable, I say how you will not see these stupid dogfights between TIE Bomber vs A Wings. The A Wings will defeat the TIE Bombers very fast. However A Wings are vulnerable to some heavy fighters as the TIE Advance.

TIE Agressor, TIE Opressor and other similar advanced fighters are very good against any fighter/bomber without shields.

Other point is how some superiority fighters as the X-Wing make less damage with their torpedoes than by example a Y-Wing.

These things are in the next upgrade. Check the date upgrades for to know when they were added.
< >
Showing 16-30 of 30 comments
Per page: 15 30 50