RimWorld

RimWorld

RimWorld Workshop
Mods and scenarios for RimWorld. Mods can also be found at the Ludeon forums at ludeon.com/forums
Fiur Dec 8, 2020 @ 12:37pm
Really now Mister Creator?
I don't know which mod he comes from. But that message caught me offguard. Not posting any name here but others might have gotten the same message.

1. No I won't help
2. Isn't it powerabuse as a modcreator to just write messages like these without the users consent?
3. You might be in a difficult situation I understand - but there are better ways to talk to the community or getting help.
4. Don't ever do that again. Or any other mod creators. I have nothing against any of you all - but please divert Games from Reallife. We are playing games - just as Rimworld to enjoy ourselves or rather escape reality. That is at least my reason.
5. All this message looked like to me was like attentionseeking. This is not a hatediscussion towards creators or any other person. I was just displeased by that message and I wanted to share my frustration. Understand me or don't - each their own.

As so is - Understandable - have a nice day Mr Creator and I nonetheless wish you a merry christmas if you're able to have one.
< >
Showing 1-12 of 12 comments
Razor 2.3 1 Dec 8, 2020 @ 5:30pm 
I have no idea what you're talking about.
Slydragon05 Dec 8, 2020 @ 7:36pm 
Is this post about that message someone put on the title screen asking for support for some project? If so I got that too.
Talonmaster Dec 9, 2020 @ 3:21am 
Shut up you sperging ♥♥♥♥♥♥.
Hoki Dec 9, 2020 @ 5:38am 
you gotta be a lil bit more specific as to whats going on.
Bobdolemite Dec 9, 2020 @ 8:43am 
@Fiur I know what your reffering to.... took me a minute before I encountered the message. You are entitled to your opinion but I disagree. This "Mod Author" does A LOT for the community and the fact you saw the message means you enjoy the fruits of their labor.

In reality how much time did this set you back? You dont even need to read it, you can simply decline and the message will not appear again (so what 5-10 seconds). Thats not a lot to ask considering he/she has spent thousands of hours creating mods you like to use.

I for one will be helping them when I can. Since I havent had the $$ to donate to them its the least I can do to show support. Especially considering this is for academic purposes.

One last note: You give "consent" when you signed up for steam (remember all that legalese you had to agree to?). You give additional "consent" when you click subscribe. You gave ample consent just by logging in to steam for the first time =) Its worthile to read those legal agreements so your not suprised later hehe.
Fiur Dec 9, 2020 @ 12:30pm 
Originally posted by Bobdolemite:
@Fiur I know what your reffering to.... took me a minute before I encountered the message. You are entitled to your opinion but I disagree. This "Mod Author" does A LOT for the community and the fact you saw the message means you enjoy the fruits of their labor.

In reality how much time did this set you back? You dont even need to read it, you can simply decline and the message will not appear again (so what 5-10 seconds). Thats not a lot to ask considering he/she has spent thousands of hours creating mods you like to use.

I for one will be helping them when I can. Since I havent had the $$ to donate to them its the least I can do to show support. Especially considering this is for academic purposes.

I totally agree on your statement - I never habored any ill intent towards that creator. BUT - there are other ways to get that support. It's like a message pop up in - what? Overwatch - where someone want's some support for a petition or something. Instead posting a link for patreon in the forums or posting it in the Mod description. That's what my post is all about - no hate towards the creator - or anything (As I don't even know which mod it really came from I only got the creators name - and even that I didn't reveal - so only people who actually had it installed could understand what I am talking about).

But I did expect to find hate / critizism comments down below as I know how the society works. Nowdays you can't write one thing without getting a leftwing blow or a rightwing blow from either narrowminded people - or just wise people chosing the wrong words. And then there are those with the arguments. It is what it is.

One last note: You give "consent" when you signed up for steam (remember all that legalese you had to agree to?). You give additional "consent" when you click subscribe. You gave ample consent just by logging in to steam for the first time =) Its worthile to read those legal agreements so your not suprised later hehe.

Oh really? So this mod creator was the first one to actually use it. Crazy. Still - as a normal human there always should be a second thought to all things. (Like do I pull the trigger or not)
Bobdolemite Dec 9, 2020 @ 10:21pm 
I do agree he should have added a blurb on the modpage, would have helped a bit.
Hoki Dec 10, 2020 @ 3:25am 
thats a thing that wasnt really mentioned otherwise. its not like we 're asked for any form of donation. just looking for participants in academic research. compared to what i encountered in the past in this game or others its a very tame situation.

In MC for example you had i think one mod that was pretty much a BLM ad that you had to click through to get into the game.

here on the other hand you werent offered anything, you werent influenced in any way. merely asked 'would you like to help me?'

so regarding the intention i see absolutly no issue here. the medium he used for this on the other hand could have been handled better.
Last edited by Hoki; Dec 10, 2020 @ 3:26am
pheanox Dec 11, 2020 @ 8:05am 
Talonmaster has been banned for 3 days for violation of Rule 1.
Doomdrvk 8 Dec 11, 2020 @ 10:22am 

Not exactly sure which mod this is coming from, but you the modding EULA specifically mentions that requests for donations ARE NOT TO BE OBTRUSIVE. On top of NOT being allowed to ask for donations in the mod itself.
https://rimworldgame.com/eula/ This is my 2 cents since I'm not up to date on the situation.
Last edited by Doomdrvk; Dec 11, 2020 @ 10:23am
Hoki Dec 11, 2020 @ 10:32am 
Originally posted by Doomdrvk:
On top of NOT being allowed to ask for donations in the mod itself.
the message was not about donate money but to participate in a study as part of academic research to achieve a degree.
non-profits are not covered by EULA to my knowledge.
Doomdrvk 8 Dec 11, 2020 @ 10:37am 
Originally posted by Hoki:
Originally posted by Doomdrvk:
On top of NOT being allowed to ask for donations in the mod itself.
the message was not about donate money but to participate in a study as part of academic research to achieve a degree.
non-profits are not covered by EULA to my knowledge.
Pretty sure that would still be part of it. "You may not advertise for donations within your Mods themselves." which covers any type. Just re-read what you said, yeah if it's just for participation I still feel it's something which the devs would not like regardless. However, no it's not in the eula.
Last edited by Doomdrvk; Dec 11, 2020 @ 10:47am
< >
Showing 1-12 of 12 comments
Per page: 15 30 50