Dawn of Man

Dawn of Man

Scenarios and Translations
In the Dawn of Man workshop you will find additional scenarios and translations for the game.
Learn More
Addition of herding skill
It would be helpful to add the skill of herding that allows a settler with a shepherd's hook - a wooden (log) tool one can make in the crafters as early as the Paleolithic period, after dog domestication - that uses the combination of person, dog and hook to herd ibexes, mouflons and hogs from the map closer to settlement and into the "hunt" workarea if in use. The workshop should be a higher-level replacement for making the shepherd's hook.
< >
Showing 1-5 of 5 comments
pdaw.pd Aug 11, 2019 @ 8:00am 
Originally posted by shockdiamond:
to herd ibexes, mouflons and hogs from the map closer to settlement and into the "hunt" workarea if in use.

Why not just hunt them straight away? Just add another hunting zone if needed...
Shock Diamond Aug 11, 2019 @ 12:52pm 
Originally posted by pdaw.pd:
to herd ibexes, mouflons and hogs from the map closer to settlement and into the "hunt" workarea if in use.

Why not just hunt them straight away? Just add another hunting zone if needed...

When you're hunting them far away, the resources decay before your settlers can pick it all up. Or they get hungry, starve, die, etc. if it's too far away and it's not summer with berries and other resources in the wild.

To add to this: I don't normally use hunting zones, but if I could herd animals into a zone close to food drying and storing locations, it would certainly increase the efficiency and reduce overall workload.

It would be useful and should already be in the game since herding is already established by capturing a domesticating young animals, but herding adult animals closer to the settlement is a definite game expansion by tool, skill, use of domestic dogs, etc. that seems reasonable, even in the Paleolithic period.
Last edited by Shock Diamond; Aug 11, 2019 @ 1:03pm
pdaw.pd Aug 11, 2019 @ 2:19pm 
When you're hunting them far away, the resources decay before your settlers can pick it all up. Or they get hungry, starve, die, etc. if it's too far away and it's not summer with berries and other resources in the wild.

Yes, hunting afar is as risky as it gets. So it perhaps should be avoided unless you absolutely have to or know what you are doing. E.g. you can build a habitat or even a storage place half way, and you can tell your hunters manually to collect the drop.

To add to this: I don't normally use hunting zones...

Then maybe you should :)

...but if I could herd animals into a zone close to food drying and storing locations, it would certainly increase the efficiency and reduce overall workload.

That's what domestication does. Domesticated animals usually graze nearby and don't go far away. In fact, by midgame you don't have to hunt at all unless for fun or in case of some mishap resulting in a shortage to abridge, but that doesn't call for hunting too far away, too.

herding adult animals closer to the settlement is a definite game expansion by tool, skill, use of domestic dogs, etc. that seems reasonable, even in the Paleolithic period.
Hmm... what you describe is rather a game rouser / beater than a herder. This can be done if you manually control two groups of hunters getting on the target animals from two opposite directions so that spooked animals run away from one group of hunters towards the other... :thinking:
Last edited by pdaw.pd; Aug 11, 2019 @ 2:19pm
pdaw.pd Aug 11, 2019 @ 2:32pm 
However, a Herder could collect domestic animals to some "pasture" work zone and attend them there making sure that they are milked and sheared on time. Not that there is any problem with these things now, but... that's what hreders do, they attend herds, right?
Shock Diamond Aug 11, 2019 @ 11:51pm 
Originally posted by pdaw.pd:
However, a Herder could collect domestic animals to some "pasture" work zone and attend them there making sure that they are milked and sheared on time. Not that there is any problem with these things now, but... that's what hreders do, they attend herds, right?

At this point, you're pretty much just trolling and that defeats the purpose of game expansion because all of your suggestions don't do anything. If they did, I wouldn't have spent my time thinking through how it would add to the expansion of the game and link skills, technology and domestication to make it useful. Stop wasting people's time.
< >
Showing 1-5 of 5 comments
Per page: 1530 50