Portal 2
Community maps. For science.
Welcome to Aperture Laboratories, home of the Perpetual Testing Initiative. Easily create, share and play test chambers authored by and for the Portal 2 community. Do your part! Contribute to Science!
Докладніше
Map Making Challenge: The "One-Hour Challenge"!
I've been meaning to make this post for about a week now! The title is fairly self explainationatory. Using the default, in-game map-builder, your challenge is to create a map in exactly 1 hour. The rules will be listed below, but when you complete, PLEASE repost it back here! I would love to see what this community can come up with in only an hour.

Rules:
1) You MUST be finished with the DESIGN of the map when the timer reaches zero.
2) You may only pause the timer to "construct" and play mini-tests with the map, but must continue the timer when you click "return to editor".
3) You may add lighting and observation stations and any other decoration after the time is up, but DO NOT modify any puzzle details. When the time is up, you may only add lights and observation stations.
4) If you find that your map is worthy of more editing, please resave that map as another and publish what you have already completed to this thread.
5) When you finish the challege, save the map as "One-Hour Challenge".

This challenge relies on the honor system, boys and girls. I'm excited to see what is produced if this thread gets any attention. Here is the link to the stopwatch that I used and the map that I created (lights and observation stations were added afterward in about 10 minutes, the map was functional with 7 minutes to spare.)

Stopwatch:

http://www.online-stopwatch.com/

You can set it to "count down" and set the timer at 1 hour.

My One Hour Challenge:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=169084407

I renamed my map out of pride, it worked so well that I felt it unncessary to repost it. I will likely do another puzzle and post it here, in the comments.

GOOD LUCK FELLOW WORKSHOPPERS
Автор останньої редакції: RedSilencer; 17 серп. 2013 о 16:34
< >
Показані коментарі 115 із 17
Цитата допису RedSilencer:
This challenge relies on the honor system, boys and girls.
There's the flaw (I refer to "honor", not "girls").
I made one map myself so far. And I think if I make a second one, I wanna have a really high quality one. 1 hour seems to me like a mess of low quality products. But as you know, I played yours and it came out great. You could say the massive lack of orientation, no visual to the cube was born with the limit of time. And indeed, the map may make more fun if one redoes your map, but keeping the concept. However, I think exactly that lack of orientation made your map to something special, something that probably was only possible by placing random elements around the room.
As said, I'd like to join the challenge, but I just think I rather wanna start with an idea, then a handwritten concept, then with a first puzzlemaker version, improving it, slowly hitting hammer, add textures and stuff....
Sounds like a great idea! You see, my map building style has always been super compact like this. I really dislike walking for long distances unless you're doing something along the way, like a race. If you're really interested in doing this challenge, do it like I did! Just go into the editor, throw some s:p2orange::p2blue:t together, be struck with a genious idea, and then you'll find yourself spending the rest of the hour trying to figure out the best way to execute that idea. At least, that's what I did. C:

You're right, I believe that "Cubic Direction" could have a lot of potential if it were remade or revamped. I'll likely do that if a fresh idea occurs to me, and use something else besides funnels and moving platforms for the cube's locomotion. If I do make it, it'll likely be harder and I'll just consider it a sequel. "Cubic Direction 2"

Thank you, Tom K, and Toncica for playing my map and allowing me to iron out the kinks, there was very little to modify once you both had made videos!

Also, Tom, I think it's funny the way you say "gel" like "gaell". :B1:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

C'mon, Community! Let's see some maps! I'll play every single one of them!
I am very interested in this. I'll see if I can spare the time to make such a level soon. Probably will be a low quality one though.
Автор останньої редакції: Repudiator; 19 серп. 2013 о 2:36
Hey there RedSilencer,
would your rules allow for using the BEE Mod / Bee Mod2?
I would like to change the look to the Portal 1 Style and probably use triggers.
Other than that i think i might be up for the challenge, though probably not tonight, but certainly this weekend.

BTW, cool idea this challenge, and i dare say: challenge accepted ^^
Sure, Bee works fine, just as long as it's an hour! ;) But really, I would love to see *A* map made in an hour. I made one and then posted this challenge as an advertisement as well, and then people replied and said they would, but I never saw them.
I will get to work tommorow and shall abide the rules, but tonight im just way to tired, have a rough week at work behind me and need a nap quite soon ;-)
Be prepared to have a map presented to you within the next 24 hours ( unless i get run over by a car, or struck by a meteor or something crazy like this )
Cheers and good night.
Night! Looking forward to it, really. :B1:
There you go: http://store.steampowered.com

As you can see its called "chapter one", i plan on doing 2 more. Building time for this one was around 45 minutes including lighting.
Its probably pretty easy, but i think its all right.
Hey Red, glad you liked the map. Could you elaborate how you got stuck? Can you probably send me a pm on the subject?
Here is Chapter two: http://store.steampowered.com

I actualy started to build it on sunday, but somehow had some sort of "writers block" and left it after 15 minutes of building time. Just finished it, overall build time was 50 minutes, hope you enjoy and like it!
Here is my entry http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=178598821
This t:p2orange::p2orange:k around 40 min including creati:p2aperture:n and testing

have fun:p2orange:
Автор останньої редакції: Slordar; 15 верес. 2013 о 19:08
Lol, almost made it - this one took about 1 hour 10 minutes (not including the playtestting and setting the light) http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=179095241
who won?
Автор останньої редакції: Slordar; 12 листоп. 2013 о 13:42
< >
Показані коментарі 115 із 17
На сторінку: 1530 50

Опубліковано: 17 серп. 2013 о 15:56
Дописів: 17