Steam Greenlight
Indie Games Bypassing Greenlight
At first, I thought it was just arrangements made prior to Greenlight’s kick-off. I was not too surprised then to see some companies release their first game on Steam without having to go through the Greenlight process.

Greenlight has started end of August (I think) and I keep seeing Companies’ first game being release on Steam without having ever been on Greenlight. I don’t find this outrageous or anything. I actually think it is the right thing to do. I mean Valve should stand for the title they believe in but isn’t that contradictory with their statement that it was now the only validation process for a company who has no game already on steam.

Maybe it is just something I missed.
< >
Affichage des commentaires 1 à 15 sur 57
If it's the ones in the "new releases" that I saw, the trick is simple:
If your game wins a big indie prize, you get a spot on Steam. I think Divo won a golden Joystick or something last summer.
Yes, they should not have said that, it makes no sense. If they believe a pruduct is a gain, why chase it through Greenlight. It would be crazy silly from a financial view.
Products with established merits such as golden joystick or indie game festival finalist gets the right to bypass the GL process completely due to the developers effort in making their game known. IMO that's a pretty fair reward. Anti-Chamber is one of these games, I saw my roommate play it, and it's definitely a title worthy enough to pass the GL process.
Dernière modification de Τhe Rolling Cheese Wheel; 2 févr. 2013 à 11h05
The Rolling Cheese a écrit :
Products with established merits such as golden joystick or indie game festival finalist gets the right to bypass the GL process completely due to the developers effort in making their game known. IMO that's a pretty fair reward. Anti-Chamber is one of these games, I saw my roommate play it, and it's definitely a title worthy enough to pass the GL process.

Sounds good to me, after all there most probably are many more games in the world than just those presented here in greenlight status hehehe. :)
So all you have to do to bypass Greenlight is to make a game which wins an internationally recognised award or even just makes the final? AND they even let you get away with not paying the $100 That's so unfair!
C0untzer0 a écrit :
So all you have to do to bypass Greenlight is to make a game which wins an internationally recognised award or even just makes the final? AND they even let you get away with not paying the $100 That's so unfair!

Seeing how it takes incredible effort and truly a dev devoted to his/her product to actually win an award, getting a free pass through GL is pretty fair.
I think he might be being a little sarcastic, TRC.
Skoardy a écrit :

haha ya I see it now.
The way I see it is that the $100 is paying for the chance to have exposure directed toward your game(of course the money isn't going to steam.) I suppose that earning an award is another method of critical exposure.
Dernière modification de Yuga-Suggah; 2 févr. 2013 à 15h11
As a matter of interest, how does this work for non-Indie titles? If, say, Bethesda releases Elder Scrolls VI, does it bypass Greenlight? On what grounds?
irrevenant a écrit :
As a matter of interest, how does this work for non-Indie titles? If, say, Bethesda releases Elder Scrolls VI, does it bypass Greenlight? On what grounds?
It would seem that Valve will waive the need to put any game that is likely to see high volume sales on greenlight. So I doubt we'll be seeing any big name games on greenlight, but you may still see some games from well known publishers now and again if Valve aren't sure how well the game will do will do. At least that's the impression I get from what little information Valve release on this matter.
irrevenant a écrit :

Greenlight is not required if the editor/develloper already have a title on Steam. If not, the size of the project doesn't matter. They have to pass trough the GL process.

Apparently a prize helps bypassing it though.
AusSkiller a écrit :
It would seem that Valve will waive the need to put any game that is likely to see high volume sales on greenlight. So I doubt we'll be seeing any big name games on greenlight, but you may still see some games from well known publishers now and again if Valve aren't sure how well the game will do will do. At least that's the impression I get from what little information Valve release on this matter.
I can't believe that Strategy First had to submit through GL, even more so to see them not get through in a week. Leisure Suit Larry is all well and good, but some studios have pedigree. I'd also include Sigma team for consistent entertainment value.
Skoardy a écrit :
Technically, if you believe a certain amount of your audience actually do think that way, it counts as a "Satire".
edit- and sadly I've been proven right in that belief, somebody complaining that a game made by Kalypso (who brought us Jagged Alliance: BIA and Tropico) didn't have to pass our vote.
Dernière modification de C0untzer0; 12 févr. 2013 à 3h41
AusSkiller a écrit :
At least that's the impression I get from what little information Valve release on this matter.
The About Greenlight section refers to people submitting who are 'new to Steam' implying that publishers/developers who've already dealt with Valve in the past, got games on Steam, etc. don't need to go through the process. I doubt any major publisher would need to use this process.
< >
Affichage des commentaires 1 à 15 sur 57
Par page : 1530 50

Posté le 2 févr. 2013 à 6h17