Steam Greenlight
pplthot 2013 年 4 月 15 日 下午 4:08
Lots of Nos but no views
So I just submitted my game and in the first 30 minutes it says it's gotten 80 votes, and only 10% are a yes. I put a video up and it only has 4 views. So out of 80 people only around 3 people watched the video. I didn't add any screenshots yet, but it's still pretty hard to believe that many people would actually click on my logo then No simply because I have no screenshots.
< >
目前顯示第 1-15 則留言,共 39
jeslyck 2013 年 4 月 15 日 下午 4:18 
My principle is if there are not 4-5 pictures and a movie you get an automatic no. Do not want to spend time on people who can not present their work professionally.
最後修改者:jeslyck; 2013 年 4 月 15 日 下午 4:19
wilco64256 2013 年 4 月 15 日 下午 4:46 
I actually did just that. I'll list a few reasons why here, and I'd even recommend that you make your project non-public while addressing these, as I believe a lot of other people probably react the same way for the same reasons:

1. All you currently have is one video and a screenshot that isn't really a screenshot, it's just the logo for the game.

2. Game description has a bunch of grammar issues.

3. There's no information about the game's developer, no website, Facebook, Twitter, nothing.

4. No information about an expected release date.

Bottom line - the page is currently coming across as rather unprofessional. There are nearly 1300 games currently in Greenlight. I can't prove this specific point, but I'm pretty certain most voters have the video autoplay turned off.

If you want people to watch the video of your game, you have to first hook them a bit with the description and screenshots.
pplthot 2013 年 4 月 15 日 下午 4:50 
I just added a ton of screenshots. Why would people want information on the game developer? It's just me one guy in his bedroom. Am I supposed to put a picture of my face up? Release date? If it gets approved to go on Steam, that's when I'd have a release date. So I need to add links to a Twitter and Facebook for people to even considering watching a video?
最後修改者:pplthot; 2013 年 4 月 15 日 下午 4:51
wilco64256 2013 年 4 月 15 日 下午 5:17 
People like to be able to see more information in general. The more professional the project's page is, the more likely people are to stick around long enough to decide to upvote it. It's very easy (and free) to make a twitter account and / or a facebook page for your game, somewhere people can get more info about its progress other than just here.

There's also no reason you should only release your game if it gets Greenlit. If you can release the game outside of Steam you can easily drive votes from existing customers.

Bottom line is that one video, no real screenshots, and only three short paragraphs of minimal game information is going to give people the impression of "Kid who doesn't really know what he's doing" when only a bit of extra effort can significantly improve that first impression. And I'm not saying that impression is accurate, but it doesn't matter whether it's accurate or not. What matters is the votes, and I'm just trying to explain to you why you're not getting them.
pplthot 2013 年 4 月 15 日 下午 7:50 
I guess I don't know what "professional" means. The game is really simple. I really can't say anymore then a paragraph about it. I don't understand the connection between that and appearing like I'm a kid.
Megaman.png 2013 年 4 月 15 日 下午 8:00 
Why would someone want to buy your "really simple" game then?
A Gelatinous Cube-Z- 2013 年 4 月 15 日 下午 8:07 
Indeed. If you can't tell people why they would want your game, why would you be surprised that they don't vote in favor of your game?
Thordred 2013 年 4 月 15 日 下午 8:39 
引用自 wilco64256
It's very easy (and free) to make a twitter account and / or a facebook page for your game, somewhere people can get more info about its progress other than just here.

I voted down many games because I felt I needed more information to make a decision and the devs only had twitter and facebook accounts. Totally uninformative and doesn't allow for a dialogue with your player base. A proper forum like this[www.irontowerstudio.com] cannot be replaced by a facebook or kickstarter page or a twitter account.
wilco64256 2013 年 4 月 15 日 下午 8:44 
Oh I fully agree that a website is an even bigger step in the right direction, I just feel like the bigger "footprint" a dev has the better. The Steam store is the big leagues, trying to put your first game here at launch is like trying a black diamond the first time you strap on skis. It's not totally impossible and you'll probably survive, but you'll have a hell of a time staying out of the trees.
pplthot 2013 年 4 月 16 日 上午 7:55 
Well I think I'm done with Greenlight. About 6 out of the 1,100 people who voted even watched a single second of the video. No one left any helpful feedback. I'm failing to see what the purpose of this sevice is. I can understand that some people will think that my game doesn't look good or doesn't look like fun, but when only .005% of the people have even bothered to just click play, it makes me feel like this little experiment might have something wrong with it.
I'm also seeing that the kinds of games that seem to be doing well on here really aren't the sort of thing I'm into or want to create.
最後修改者:pplthot; 2013 年 4 月 16 日 上午 8:03
jeslyck 2013 年 4 月 16 日 上午 8:35 
Then goodbye it's not an amateur drama show
wilco64256 2013 年 4 月 16 日 上午 8:39 
You really can't rely on your video to sell your game for you. You need to immediately hook people with good screenshots and an interesting description.

Compare this description:

In this game you play as a girl who gets stuck on an island. You can get different weapons to fight bad guys and climb around to find a way to escape.

To this one:

Tomb Raider explores the intense and gritty origin story of Lara Croft and her ascent from a young woman to a hardened survivor. Armed only with raw instincts and the ability to push beyond the limits of human endurance, Lara must fight to unravel the dark history of a forgotten island to escape its relentless hold.

People on Greenlight make decisions VERY quickly. They aren't going to spend 5-10 minutes carefully reading your description, looking through all of your screenshots, and watching your video, all before voting, unless you hook them in very quickly.
AIMonster 2013 年 4 月 16 日 上午 8:45 
Watching an embedded video won't count as a view on Youtube if they aren't using Youtube's HTML or Flash Player, or if the video is autoplayed. Also 6 out of 1,100 is ~0.5% not ~0.005%. There are also a wide variety of games from different genres that have been Greenlit, so if games that do well on here aren't games you want to create or are into, maybe you're creating games that are too niche for Steam.

Try other distribution sites like IndieDB or Desura first.
最後修改者:AIMonster; 2013 年 4 月 16 日 上午 8:46
Gorlom[Swe] 2013 年 4 月 16 日 上午 8:45 
引用自 pplthot
Well I think I'm done with Greenlight. About 6 out of the 1,100 people who voted even watched a single second of the video. No one left any helpful feedback. I'm failing to see what the purpose of this sevice is. I can understand that some people will think that my game doesn't look good or doesn't look like fun, but when only .005% of the people have even bothered to just click play, it makes me feel like this little experiment might have something wrong with it.
I'm also seeing that the kinds of games that seem to be doing well on here really aren't the sort of thing I'm into or want to create.

I thought about posting this in your comment section, but it became a bit long for a comment and would seem off without the context of what I was responding to.

I skimmed through your vid. but it didn't really help me much. maybe if you added a voiceover where you talk about your game or explain it a bit? The vid was just really boring and I didn't get excited about the gameplay at all. The game play seemed... monotone. That's it. The screenshots are all the same except for the one with menus.
The arena like gameplay just doesn't appeal that much to me. I like exploring worlds not be confined in a pit. (It might work as an alternate mode or a minigame but the entire game like that just doesn't seem all that fun)
The aesthetics feels somewhat nondescript I think it's hard to get a sense/feel of the enemies and their charasteristics based on their looks. You will end up identifying the enemies based on the projectiles they toss out. I would consider that a bad thing.
Edit: From your vid and screenshots I did not actually realize that you are walking around in a maze like system. I thought the game was stage based and that you automatically got to the next stage when you cleared the previous one. (I still don't know which one it is but some of the other commenters assumed it similar to binding of isaac.)

Btw: could it be that the tracking of who views your vid is bugged somehow? (are you looking at the steam page or the youtube page?)
I didn't watch it to the end, does that show me as watching the vid or not?
C0untzer0 2013 年 4 月 16 日 上午 9:30 
Don't take it personally, a lot of people instantly vote "NO" when they see a submission which doesn't follow Greenlight submission rules. It's taken as a sign of other things the developer will not perform on. Also, you'll find that people don't really have to justify their opinions. Maybe you should be glad that some of those people didn't tell you what they thought.
最後修改者:C0untzer0; 2013 年 4 月 17 日 上午 10:17
< >
目前顯示第 1-15 則留言,共 39
每頁顯示: 1530 50

張貼日期: 2013 年 4 月 15 日 下午 4:08
回覆: 39