Steam Greenlight
Just another developer with a vision of his game saying hi. (Publishing java game?)
Hi!

So I am thinking about officially making a game. I made this game two/three years ago totally in java. It's a semi-turn-based board game essentially.

Can I publish java games? (I want to integrate the steam friend system so people can invite others into their games, but steamwork seems to be supporting c++ only) If not, I will just rewrite the whole thing in c++.
< >
Showing 1-4 of 4 comments
Graeme Mar 30, 2014 @ 9:31pm 
What the heck are you talking about?
There are loads of flash, java, C++, c, even HTML games through Steam.
Gorlom[Swe] Mar 30, 2014 @ 10:01pm 
Originally posted by Graeme- Coarse Gentleman:
What the heck are you talking about?
There are loads of flash, java, C++, c, even HTML games through Steam.
I've seen other people talk about this. Steamworks are easiest intergrated with c++ or something. There are workarounds to make games programmed with other languages intergrate with steamworks too but it still requires a bit of c++ programming I think? something about dll files?
Oh who was it that talked about this stuff... wilco?

Edit: A quick search on "DLL" showed a lot of topics on similar topics. It seems it was AusSkiller that was explaining the things i was thinking of.
I suggest that the OP searches the greenlight forum for DLL and read the topics that shows up.
Last edited by Gorlom[Swe]; Mar 30, 2014 @ 10:03pm
AusSkiller Mar 31, 2014 @ 1:23pm 
Originally posted by GorlomSwe:
Edit: A quick search on "DLL" showed a lot of topics on similar topics. It seems it was AusSkiller that was explaining the things i was thinking of.
I suggest that the OP searches the greenlight forum for DLL and read the topics that shows up.
Yeah, you need to use C++ to communicate with the Steamworks API, but you can create a wrapper for it that is loaded up by the game and will essentially translate the calls from one language to another. Most of the time that is done by writing a DLL in C/C++ and finding the functions in whatever language you are using to load and communicate with it, but with Java there is also JNI (Java Native Interface) which allows you to call into C++ code which might be suitable for calling into the Steamworks API.

Also I don't think you can distribute a game through Steam as a .jar executable (I could be wrong though), it will probably need to be compiled into a .exe or non-Windows platform equivalent, preferably a native executable with it's own JVM built in so as not to require installing something like the Java Runtime Environment (I think GCJ can do that).
Last edited by AusSkiller; Mar 31, 2014 @ 1:24pm
Thank you all! I will look into the JNI to find a solution.
< >
Showing 1-4 of 4 comments
Per page: 1530 50

Date Posted: Mar 30, 2014 @ 2:29pm