Wallpaper Engine

Wallpaper Engine

Wallpaper Gallery
Create your own animated live wallpapers and immediately share them with other users. It is recommended to browse the Workshop from Wallpaper Engine to find something you like instead of this page.
Learn More
This topic has been locked
Biohazard  [developer] 17 Oct 10, 2016 @ 7:27am
Guide to monetized (curated) workshop submissions
If you would like to release your wallpaper in the item store ( http://store.steampowered.com/itemstore/431960/ ) you have to check the Monetization option while publishing to Steam in the editor. Other users will then be able to vote on your item in the Workshop until it is accepted for sale. An item with this option enabled cannot be downloaded until it has been accepted for the store.

The monetization option is hidden by default. To enable the option:

It is not possible to disable monetization on an item once it has been enabled. Steam does not allow this. If you want to disable the option, delete the item you have uploaded on Steam (not in the editor!) then simply re-upload it from the editor with this option turned off first.

If your submission violates any copyrights in any way, it will not be accepted.
Last edited by Biohazard; Jun 13, 2018 @ 7:18am
< >
Showing 1-15 of 28 comments
I notice that wallpapers on the WS have no video previews. Did you disable that or are people just not putting them up? Also out of curiosity, what % of a sale actually goes to the creator?

Great program by the way. I wanted to do this myself a while ago and gave up before I started when I saw how screwy DWM and stuff is.
Biohazard  [developer] 17 Oct 14, 2016 @ 1:21am 
Originally posted by JetBoom:
I notice that wallpapers on the WS have no video previews. Did you disable that or are people just not putting them up? Also out of curiosity, what % of a sale actually goes to the creator?

Great program by the way. I wanted to do this myself a while ago and gave up before I started when I saw how screwy DWM and stuff is.

Hey,
No I haven't disabled it, but you have to go to the workshop page and manually add one. I guess having a text field to immediately add a video could be useful.

The percentage is the default value, 25%, I think you can see it when you click on the 'about' page.

And thanks, yeah it can be tricky but so far it seems to be working well enough, I have managed to avoid any kind of code injections or file replacement so far (only application wallpapers will have an injection, but those are practically part of Wallpaper Engine itself I guess).
Fern 3 Oct 18, 2016 @ 8:04pm 
I would like to submit this wallpaper I've made for curation.
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=783383160 - 1920x1080
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=783385981 - 3840x1080
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=783387768 - 5760x1080

I spent four hours programming this and from what I've tested on my own computer,
it runs pretty great.
Biohazard  [developer] 17 Oct 19, 2016 @ 2:17am 
That is pretty neat, but do you think you could make an HTML export? I noticed there are some issues with gamemaker when resizing for example (the window caption and border show up).

When you export as HTML gamemaker will trigger a JS popup, but you can remove it like so: http://steamcommunity.com/app/431960/discussions/2/350544272220992862/?ctp=2#c348292957934043148 Plus a lot of people voiced their (justified) concerns about .exe files on Workshop, I need to sandbox them somehow in the future.

If you want to submit it as a curated item btw, you have to check the 'monetization' checkbox. I think this cannot be done retroactively (because Steam creates a different type of Workshop object then).
Fern 3 Oct 19, 2016 @ 11:29pm 
Originally posted by Biohazard:
That is pretty neat, but do you think you could make an HTML export? I noticed there are some issues with gamemaker when resizing for example (the window caption and border show up).

When you export as HTML gamemaker will trigger a JS popup, but you can remove it like so: http://steamcommunity.com/app/431960/discussions/2/350544272220992862/?ctp=2#c348292957934043148 Plus a lot of people voiced their (justified) concerns about .exe files on Workshop, I need to sandbox them somehow in the future.

If you want to submit it as a curated item btw, you have to check the 'monetization' checkbox. I think this cannot be done retroactively (because Steam creates a different type of Workshop object then).
Oh I didn't quite understand what curated meant. I can't sell these. Only the character is my own artwork. The rest is just google images pasted together. I thought curated was like front page for workshop. My bad. I may re-export these as HMTL exports though in the future. I have to see if the performance difference is worth it. I use the YYC for this at the moment to reduce the usage to a minimum.
Biohazard  [developer] 17 Oct 20, 2016 @ 1:39am 
Ah, alright. I guess I got so used to the terminology while reading the documentation up and down that I didn't make this clear enough. I'll make it a bit more obvious in the title now.
fug4life 180 Oct 20, 2016 @ 10:55am 
aww, @Seabass make another you can sell ! I'd buy it if the price is right!
Fern 3 Oct 20, 2016 @ 1:42pm 
Originally posted by fug4life:
aww, @Seabass make another you can sell ! I'd buy it if the price is right!
My girlfriend and I may have another out soon with a bit more interactivity. One with all original art. But we'll see. I wouldn't charge more than $1 though. lol $20 wouldn't make a huge impact in my life. xD
fug4life 180 Oct 20, 2016 @ 10:14pm 
lmao, sounds great!
Fern 3 Jan 17, 2017 @ 9:40am 
1gb wallpaper, yeah good thing we PC masterrace users can run a decompressed 1gb video file in the background with our 32gb of RAM. 1gb is massive and frankly not the point of this software.

Within 20mb you can fit a ton of content if you write the program yourself or do something with HTML5. You can even make a video of sorts.
Originally posted by Seabass (The Workaholic):
1gb wallpaper, yeah good thing we PC masterrace users can run a decompressed 1gb video file in the background with our 32gb of RAM. 1gb is massive and frankly not the point of this software.

Within 20mb you can fit a ton of content if you write the program yourself or do something with HTML5. You can even make a video of sorts.

Sorry to burst your bubble there but the ram usage of this application doesn't work that way. i.e im running a 1GB video on 4 of my displays and the program is in total using 468MB of ram.
Fern 3 Jan 17, 2017 @ 9:51am 
I know how video files work. I may not have created the software but you just proved my point. A 4gb worth of video lets say being ran causes a usage of 468mb of memory. I'll assume you are running it in 1080p, perhaps even 4k but regardless, that is heavy usage for a background application.

Aside from all that (as I don't have time to fight over our opinions), the developer sets the rules on what they consider is reasonable for their software and monetization rules.

I think the point of monetization in this case is to allow wallpapers that anybody can run onto the market. If I upload an 8k video and that causes the software to crash, a user that pays for it is going to be mad at the developer and I imagine he is avoiding that.
Mystix 31 Jan 30, 2017 @ 6:40pm 
Hi. I was thinking I might want to submit a wallpaper for consideration as a Curated / monetized wallpaper.

However, I see that there no longer appears to be a "Monetization" option when I go to Publish a new wallpaper. Are wallpapers no longer being accepted into consideration for Curation / Monetized / DLC? Or is it just limited to specific types of wallpapers now?

If wallpapers are still allowed to be submitted for consideration for Curation / Monetization, how would I do that now?

Thanks.
Last edited by Mystix; Jan 31, 2017 @ 4:50am
Biohazard  [developer] 17 Jan 31, 2017 @ 4:51am 
Originally posted by LoneWolfDon:
Hi. I was thinking I might want to submit a wallpaper for consideration as a Curated / monetized wallpaper.

However, I see that there no longer appears to be a "Monetization" option when I go to Publish a new wallpaper. Are wallpapers no longer be accepted into consideration for Curation / Monetized / DLC? Or is it just limited to specific types of wallpapers now?

If wallpapers are still allowed to be submitted for consideration for Curation / Monetization, how would I do that now?

Thanks.

It was removed from video wallpapers, yeah. Because I cannot put mp4s on the store and WebMs do not have hardware acceleration and so they usually require too much horsepower (and RAM anyway).

Can you upload the video as 'private' and send me a link? Maybe there is some other solution.
Mystix 31 Jan 31, 2017 @ 5:10am 
Originally posted by Biohazard:
It was removed from video wallpapers, yeah. Because I cannot put mp4s on the store and WebMs do not have hardware acceleration and so they usually require too much horsepower (and RAM anyway).

Can you upload the video as 'private' and send me a link? Maybe there is some other solution.

I see. Thanks for the reply.
I sent you a message, via Steam message-chat, with more info about the wallpaper I had in mind (I had it set to "Hidden").

But I understand if video-based wallpapers are now excluded from curation / monetization due to licensing issues.

*Update: Thanks for taking the time to chat with me and better explain some things. Best wishes and keep up the great work! :)
Last edited by Mystix; Jan 31, 2017 @ 7:01am
< >
Showing 1-15 of 28 comments
Per page: 1530 50

Date Posted: Oct 10, 2016 @ 7:27am
Posts: 28