0.0 hrs last two weeks / 1.7 hrs on record (0.3 hrs at review time)
Posted: Apr 10, 2018 @ 2:43pm
Updated: Apr 10, 2018 @ 2:44pm

I completed the 100 mates in 16 minutes. However this is not a criticism as I am quite a decent intermediate club player. The mates were all useful patterns to learn and even though solving them can be 'easy' that does not mean it is not beneficial as there is a big benefit to drilling the basic patterns which helps to recognise them in a game. I enjoyed solving them and I like the concept. However I think there need to be more patterns, let's say 300 mate in 1 would be good. After that it should progress to mate in 2 and so on. I like the fact that the vast majority of these were practical mates rather than problem-like compositions.

Overall the program is enjoyable and excellent value and I would recommend it to people trying to improve at chess or just looking for fun puzzles.

Another suggestion: add a volume level control for the music and sound effects.
Ziev217 May 8 @ 9:31pm
Fantastic! Hope you have fun!
professorricksanchez May 8 @ 3:00pm
Looks like my suggestions were implemented - I have bought the whole series. Very nice.
Ziev217 Oct 21, 2020 @ 12:00am
Hey there! They have a whole bunch of Zen Chess games out now since you've written this review. They're pretty cheap too, you should consider checking them out!
Nexeques Dec 25, 2018 @ 1:55am
Good thing Dev added another 150 puzzles free, on 28th Nov, then :)
(after this review / comments)
hagakuremoi Nov 11, 2018 @ 7:40pm
It took me 40 minutes to complete the 150 mates.
professorricksanchez Jul 1, 2018 @ 12:38pm
Yes @DatCoolBoi you need to get checkmate in just one move. Keep looking :)
DatCoolBoi Jul 1, 2018 @ 7:40am
Wait do I have to beat each puzzle in 1 move? Does the game provide any tips? Never played chess before and thought this might be a good way to get into it. I'm stuck on puzzle 6