Recent reviews by weed

At the heart of both LiS and LiS:BtS is the development of a powerful relationship between the two main characters. Captain Spirit is a simple point and click puzzle game, which involves finding three keys and guessing two codes. There is the usual backstory of a parent killed in a traffic accident leading to problems at school. Remove the profanities and this woud be a suitable game for children aged 6-10. However it is only an introduction to LiS2, so Sept 27th is still marked in my diary, but I've abandoned the countdown.
Great game, great music!
Posted April 4.
Planetarian surprised me because I was not expecting much from it, but as the game progressed the interplay of innocence and desparation gradually opened up my feelings. A jewel of a fairytale with depth and heartbreaking sensitivity. Highly recommended for anyone who is looking to find joy in wistfulness, and hope amidst desolation.
Posted March 18. Last edited May 7.
Semyon's New Year's Eve with Alisa, Masha, Lenya, Slavya and Ulyana. The gentlest of drama, moments of tender awkwardness, and a lovely tho brief conclusion to 'Everlasting Summer'. Save before making your choices, and open up in turn to each of the five girls (though now they're young women). Six achievements.
Posted December 29, 2017.
A struggling novelist married to an aspiring painter, who have a child in need of extra support. How best to balance the relationships between the three of them? This simple VN game grew on me as the game mechanics became clearer (so I no longer wasted time wandering in circles). As others have said, once you have made the main choice in each section, don't continue to the next section until you have made the follow-up choice! There are difficult decisions to be made which result in very different endings.
Posted December 25, 2017.
A short thoughtful bitter-sweet lineat VN (no choices) dealing with an old man's loss of memories, his hopes and his dreams. It deals with the issue sensitively and should help and comfort anyone having to deal with a loved one suffering from this condition, though it will likely bring a tear to the eye. There are 4 achievements and 5 cards (but only 1 card dropped for me ingame).
Posted December 25, 2017. Last edited December 25, 2017.
I wasn't expecting too much from a prequel to LIS but I was wrong. Not only is it harder edged, but the quality of the plot, dialog, artwork and music is excellent. However it's the developing relationship between Chloe and Amber which is riveting, and knowing what we know of Amber from LIS makes it even more fascinating. For everyone who loved the characters in LIS, there is the added bonus of learning more about some of their backgrounds, including Frank's dog! Am awaiting Episode 3 with anticipation.
Posted November 26, 2017. Last edited November 26, 2017.
A strangely calming 2D walk through with just enough puzzles (or rather choices) to keep it interesting. Short and sweet, with a hint of mystery and darkness.
Posted November 26, 2017.
Another f2p VN which exceeded expectations! Cupid is a Gothic romance with mature content from Fervent/Afterthought. Although the graphics are limited, it has a strong unusual theme, good music, and straightforward game play. The player takes on the role of a dead mother making choices on what advice to give to her young daughter, (advice which is not always followed). These choices lead to multiple endings. Despite it's title, the main theme of the game is not about dating, relationships or sex, but the darker side of the consuming power of love. The workaround for a bug which may prevent you getting the last of the 67 achievements can be found in the 'Please read this...' section of Adett's 'Cupid 100% Achievement Guide'. Recommended.
Posted September 1, 2017. Last edited September 1, 2017.
It's hard to review Gone Home without including a spoiler. The female protagonist arrives at her empty family home and tries to discover what happened to her sister and parents. This is a point and click walk-through visual novel which is atmospheric, has good voice acting, and pays attention to detail. However, be warned, this is clearly aimed at the 90's US teenage nostalgia market, so there are many objects to pick up and/or examine, but few clues to be gained that way. The plot is linear, there are no puzzles (excluding doors to be unlocked etc), and the game is short enough to be completed in one session. Recommended not because I liked it or think it's value for money, but because it is a well made example of its genre.
Posted August 28, 2017.