0.0 hrs last two weeks / 145.9 hrs on record (81.1 hrs at review time)
Posted: May 6, 2022 @ 1:38pm
Updated: May 24, 2022 @ 11:53am

From negative to positive

If you still don't know whether to buy Chaosgate or not, this may help you

Before we start, I would like to state that I have previously posted negative review, but due to constant updates, fixes and my growing in-game experience I am changing the reviev by creating new one from the scratch.
Keep in mind that everyone is entitled to their own opinion so you don't have to agree with me, and that's ok.

This game is not for everyone and you may not like it so please hold on till the end :) You can save yourself a few bucks - just keep that in mind during my review.

The Negatives

1. Game is terrible when it comes to explaining its mechanics to the player. It tragic in that regard, there are no straightforward guidelines, mostly some icons appearing and statuses - and it's up to player to guess what they mean. I've seen people 50 hours in asking basic gameplay questions on steam forums. And imho it is not their fault - it should be up to the game designers to create clear communication channel between a player and the game. Additionally there are still discussions about "what does this do", "what happens if..." because there is no information in game to clarify.
  2. UI is pretty, but that's it. Combining with combat camera that cometimes cuts vital information about range/hits on the battlefield it can become quite annoying. Gearing up your suqad before a mission starts can be a clickfest by jumping windows back and forward. They went for looks instead of functionality.
  3. Balance vs Gameplay mechanics. The game is very fast-paced but some of the skills seem to support completly opposite playstyle and noone uses them. Why in hell are they in game? (I am talking about the bleed mostly). Power curve changes so fast as well. At the beggining many people feel like the game is too hard, just to call it GG EZ no sweat from mid to late-game. I am playing on Ruthless and I am still to find decent challenge.
  4. Lore-wise this game is weird. There is that annoying and too much emotional/energetic magos lady. In the beggining your Grey Knights (elite space marine psykers) will be having problems dealing with dirty chaos cultist wearing rags. Later you will be soloing chaos dreadnoughts 1v1 so no worries... also, voice acting seems a bit off - but that is just my opinion.
  5. There are still some bugs and corrupted saves. Remember when I said that the game does poor job in explaining anything? It is hard to confirm if that weird stuff just happened is a bug or feature due to general lack of knowledge.
  6. Deluxe Edition character is a joke - you get him too late and he cannot be customized. Don't even, trust me.
The Positives

1. Even through the game clearly has its flaws I can't help having so much fun playing it. Campaign is very engaging and Crit mechanics allows you to create whole builds around it. You constantly upgrade your ship and train your GKs, it is so satisfying when everything starts running like clockwork.Love it!
  2. Fast paced and dynamic combat is glorious. They somehow made what people mostly hate in turn based and tactical games into a really fun and engaging mechanics.
  3. Customisation options are awesome. Especially later in the game, item variety is so wide that it allows you to create wild builds with your squad. There are less options for you skill tree, but it is awesome anyway.
  4. I love the campaign map and its dynamic events, they are similar to the Mechanicus game, but feel more interactive and are a bit more predictible, thus less annoying ;)
  5. You can see devs are working their asses off trying to improve/fix what is broken. We are getting update after update, which is rare in modern gaming industry, sadly.
The Controversy

1. This is one of those games that hates fresh players. MINOR SPOILER: At some point there will be a major change in the campaign map which you won't be prepared for. Combining with issues in negatives section (1 and 2) it will likely force you to start over, or at lest make you wish you could. I *clicked* with the game on my 2nd playthrough and this was the point where I started enjoying the game 100%. It just takes time to get used to it. It might be a dealbreaker for some, and interesting learning curve for others. If you don't like being surprised, please read the steam newbie guides and discussion forums.
  2. Twitch drops rant - Right before and after the release some of the gear was locked behind certain twitch channels. You had to watch them for couple of hours to collect them all which was a pain. THEY CORRECTED IT NOW, THOSE ITEMS ARE AVAILABLE FOR EVERYONE
  3. "Nerf" update rant - Soon after the release game recieved balancing update that increased cost of many skills and nerfed some items, along with pre-order weapon. I have mixed feelings about this. What was bad that they made Apothecary even worse class than before and messed with some of the builds people made without letting them to respec. What they did right however in my opinion was putting end to a stupid meta build that made the combat laughably easy. I actually like the current changes and have no problems with WP reserves even due to the "nerf". I think people whined because they took out their "win the combat in 2 clicks" build - although Im all for granting free respec whenever they make balance changes to a single player game... You should not be punishing players for playing in certain way if they gave them tools to do so.

I won't go for conclusion. You can make your own decision based on what I provided ;) Cheers!
Aziryn May 24, 2022 @ 5:14pm
Thanks for the update, definitely a lot closer to giving this one a go.
Dembo May 24, 2022 @ 11:58am
Review updated :)
Dembo May 24, 2022 @ 1:00am
Yes and no. I am having a blast after they fixed most of things I posted in my review. But its a game for a very specific type of players. It does not explain mechanics well and does huge gameplay change after certain period of time. If you get easily frustrated or are not into tactical planning and adapting your strategy to various changes game throws at you then better pass on it. Otherwise, yeah its great.
Aziryn May 23, 2022 @ 11:51pm
Interesting.. thanks Dembo.. I looked at the updates and I didn't think it had said that. would you recommend the game now?
Dembo May 23, 2022 @ 11:38pm
The have updated that some time ago. Twitch drops are now free for everyone :) I am going to update my review soon tm
Aziryn May 23, 2022 @ 9:49pm
Not buying a game for this kind of price that makes me watch twitch streamers to get gear that others have, that's dumb. I was close by the negative reviews took me out of the market on this one.

That's even considering I've been watching people have fun playing this, toooo bad.
ArielOjosVerdes May 6, 2022 @ 7:26pm
I linked my Steam account to my Twitch one without errors just an hour ago