0.0 hrs last two weeks / 3.9 hrs on record (0.5 hrs at review time)
Posted: Feb 3, 2020 @ 10:31am
Updated: Feb 3, 2020 @ 10:52pm

Yes. Panty shots.
Censorship
Yes, no nudity.
Three or four hours.
Patch Required?
Not applicable.

Gaijin Troubles is a visual novel/free-roaming RPG.

Game-play
The game is broken up into "visual novel mode" and what I call "open-world mode". The visual novel mode involves staring at character portraits and text boxes, and it is where you can expect a lot of exposition and character building. If you like virtual novels, you'll like these segments of the game. But the fun parts are in open-world mode.

You can access items, "equipments" and your diary (which records your stats) from the pause menu. An HP gauge dictates how not-dead you are, and Stamina how many attacks you can dish-out. You are able to launch powerful attacks using "Stress", which is gained by special events. By using the "'tab" button, you can lock-on to a target. Of course, you will want to take advantage of the block mechanic, so you don't get too hurt. But fighting at school is wrong, so you don't really need to know any of this.

But for science, I punched the first girl I could.

She stood no chance, and not even her trusty umbrella could stave off my attacks. Unfortunately, I couldn't take her possessions. All I could do was kick her rag-doll body around a bike rack until it despawned. Soon afterwards, I learned that everyone hates the protagonist. You can expect to be robbed and beaten at every turn.

So on second thought, be ready to beat every lady you see. It's okay, because you're a lady too!

Money is an important resource. It can be used for "training" and sodas. Training will boost your stats, and sodas will heal a large portion of your health. How do you get money?

By beating women up. So put 'em up!

After a brief tutorial (and a stern warning that the women of the game are 18+ years old), the game starts with a class-setting. A few students are arguing, and the protagonist of the story is introduced, Shirokawa (I think). We are introduced to another (very pervy) classmate, and soon class is adjourned. This is where the "open-world" portion of the game begins. Shirokawa is expected is find one or more clubs to partake in, as per school policy.

As soon as I took a step, I was ambushed by a few students. Thankfully, nobody got hurt. They actually intended for the protagonist to be shown-around school, and this is where the first in-game quest is given. The story revolves around the protagonist and a pervert (mentioned before), and the shenanagens they get themselves into.

During "visual novel mode", characters are displayed using 3D models. It's nice to see animated character portraits, and provides a lot of opportunity for character movement as you smash through text boxes. It looks good enough, and the models are nice to watch. In the open-world portion of the game, everything is 3D. Everything blends together (as a coherent art style), and I enjoy the anime aesthetic and shading system.

There are quite a bit of errors though, mostly with the skirts. The skirts glitch out constantly, making them stretch in strange ways and phase through people's butts. They must be resolved. I'm looking at you developers! When someone's panties bust through their skirt (by some demon-magic), it totally breaks my immersion!

Verdict
While a bit of a pricey pretzel, this is a nice game to kill time with. Who doesn't want to be a school-girl killing girl-machine? While I am leery of "Early Access", there is promise for updates. If you want to support the development of this title, I would certainly pick it up.

If you enjoy my review(s), please follow my Curator page. I live and die on your thumbs (up) and follows.