0.0 hrs last two weeks / 1.2 hrs on record (1.0 hrs at review time)
Posted: Feb 28, 2020 @ 3:20am

Yes, (F, FxF, FxM) Sexual Content.
Censorship
A few hours, at least.
Patch Required?

Anthophobia is a lewd 2D sidescroller beat-'em-up about a girl's battle through what was once humanity.

You armed with a gun and pipe, the former a powerful (but precious) weapon. The gun deal immense damage at a range with no penalty of fatigue. However, ammunition is scarce, and enemies are plenty. It's best to employ melee when possible, to converse precious ammo. Fatigue is used for dashin', pipin' and jumpin' too. If you run out of fatigue, you'll be forced to sit still as you recoup your breath, leaving you open to enemy. . . approaches.

Everyone's out for your goodies, but clothing will stop 'em dead in their tracks. Whenever you take damage, you lose an article of clothing (which can be re-obtained or purposely stripped). Should you lose all of your clothing, you'll be helpless against enemy advances, and you'll have to try to escape by mashing the arrow keys in rapid succession. This can be especially problematic when your surrounded by adversaries. As you are used and attacked, your HP goes down. If it hits zero, it's game over.

In addition to weapons, you have glow sticks and molotovs at your disposal. Glow sticks will illuminate areas, and molotovs will incinerate groups of enemies Much of the game is dark, so glow sticks are valuable sources of lighting when you're not sure what you're getting yourself into. It's best to keep at least one of everything (including bullets), as some obstacles can only be cleared using your (disposable) items. Additionally, you've want to stay on the prowl for keys and gasoline. Both will open up new areas all around the playing area.

You may pause at anytime, and restart from your latest checkpoint. There is also a handy (control) guide at the top-left side of the pause screen.

It's been three months since the "outbreak", an event which has nearly ended mankind. Some strange, parasitic lifeform has dawned upon humanity, and it has turned everyone into sex-starved monsters. Anyone who wasn't infected is left to "enjoy" an endless purgatory of hedonistic abuse from those infected. The protagonist is on her own, and she's run out of essential supplies. The game begins with her on a quest for a new place to live.

The title menu tips you off that you're playing a very adult game with a not-so-subtle background. It looks good enough, with everything you'd expect from an adult title. Under "Options", you can set the difficulty and switch-up control and graphical settings. Under "Extra", you can view Achievements, collectables, images, and select (previously played) Chapters.

Cutscenes are rendered with fullscreen, static pixel art. I was pleasantly surprised by the cutscenes, as there is a lot of variety to see. The in-game interface looks great, and nothing's too out of place. The gallery is easy to navigate, and there are tons of pixelated assets everywhere. The game in general is delightful to look at.

- The Goods -
This wombat's a grizzled veteran of things lewd, and the pixelated lewdness got me a lil' excited. If that doesn't say somethin' about the saucy stuff, I dunno what will. It's mostly comprised of pixelated animations, though there are full-art illustrations to behold. If you peak inside the game directory, there are lots and lots of art pieces to check out. You can expect a lot of non-consensual female abuse, by beasts and other people.

Verdict
I've had my eye on this title for some time now, and I can say that I'm very glad that I picked it up. There's such a sheer amount of quality art, and it's not too hard to play, providing "checkpoints" to keep you enticed to try again (when you fail). I do recommend this title.

- Words for the Devs -
Please, for the love all things good, make the lewd pixel animations available somehow, whether it be an in-game gallery or some DLC. They are so, so awesome, and inspire me as a (pixel) artist to press-on. Please.

If you enjoy my reviews, please follow my Curator page. I live and die on your thumbs (up) and follows.

Unlimited Katyusha Works Jul 3, 2020 @ 5:59am
I only have 375 silver thing in my balance and i give an award to you
Nice job
A Wild Zubat Appears! Jun 15, 2020 @ 7:25am
There IS a gallery for all the excellent animations. It's a prize given to those that can finish the game. Theres an even more *EXTENSIVE* gallery if you're able to complete every single level and it's counterpart.
DatWombat Jun 10, 2020 @ 1:24am
Oh don't mind "the first guy", he's my oldest fan. Poor guy can't get enough of my reviews. The biggest thing that stands out (to me) in this game is the art and animations. Boy golly! This is one of those games that inspire me to be an artist. Maybe one day I'll have a game or two of my own, not dissimilar in theme from this title.

Ah! And thank you.
Fable Wolfe May 25, 2020 @ 10:32pm
Unlike the first guy to comment, I agree with your assessment. I've had my eye on it as well for a while, and what I have played of it originally was quite enjoyable--challenging, but enjoyable.

Also, your reviews are pretty helpful.