Recent reviews by Crutch Master

I'm not one for writing reviews for games. I'll also admit that I wasn't a 90's kid. Maybe I'm pretentious for saying this game gives a feeling of "fake nostalgia-" a troupe or phenomenon usually seen in and enjoyed through an artistic and musical movement called Vaporwave. Whatever your opinions on that feeling or phenomenon, I know I can't deny the game's ability to pull it off.

Hypnospace Outlaw is a story driven point-and-click game that focuses on graphics, artistic expression through Vaporwave aesthetics, and 90's internet simulation. The game is basic but contains arguably the most iconic visuals of 2019 and some of the most iconic video game visuals of this decade.

No literally, the art alone is that good. You don't even need to look any further than Professor Helper, Gumshoe Gooper, the Chowder Man, a dancing pizza, and the Hynpospace Central homepage to understand this game's iconographic impact. There are even some hilariously bad, yet seemingly accurate, renditions of 90's TV commercials. It's simply a 90's inspired information overload.

Some of the gameplay mechanics and features include wiggling around your mouse to make a page load faster and multi-solution puzzles. The soundtrack is also inspired by Vaporwave with a lot of endearing tracks soaked in fou-vintage sound effects from some bygone Windows9X-like operating system. Hypnospace Outlaw has so many moments that will make you say "it's so hilariously bad and cringe-worthy that it's good."

Some possible negatives I could think of are as follows:

1. Indifference or dislike of the game's fundamental concept.
2. Indifference or dislike of the game's point-and-click gameplay.
3. Wanting more challenging puzzles or just more content in general.

Only no. 3 stands for me. Otherwise it's an excellent game with one crushingly fantastic ending. Based on the story, art, 90's internet simulation, and overall iconography, this game is a growing cult classic and it deserves your immediate attention regardless of what you might think of it right now. Despite its basic gameplay and with upcoming workshop support, I think Hypnospace Outlaw will age like fine wine and transcend beyond the game itself and into popular culture. There's something to be said about this world that never existed. Our memories of it will never die.

Post review edit: After reading some of the positive reviews for this game, I recommend you read some of them since some people have insight regarding the game's world and how accurate this mid to late 90's internet parody is.
Posted June 27. Last edited June 27.