Recent reviews by ✪ VOS

3,619.1 hrs on record (2,993.5 hrs at review time)
Posted June 30, 2019.
Its pretty fun
Posted November 22, 2017. Last edited November 23, 2018.
Introduction

Brought to us by Davey Wreden, the creator of the much acclaimed The Stanley Parable, The Beginner’s Guide is a narrative video game that (as Wreden puts it) “tells the story of a person struggling to deal with something they do not understand”. Lasting only 90 minutes and lacking any real goal or objectives, The Beginner’s Guide shares a story that is both deep and thrilling.

The game begins with Davey Wreden narrating; he tells us about his friend Coda, a game developer who created a compilation of video games. Wreden guides us as we experience and explore this series of games. He talks about the connection between a game and the creator and how the player can get to understand the creator as they play the game.

The individual games are truly fascinating. In one game, you can only walk backwards while in another, you’re shown a series of prisons that Coda has designed As we progress through each game, Wreden tells us about Coda and presents his interpretation of each game and why Coda made it. Some of the games were made to play unplayable; in one game, the player is placed in a prison cell and has to wait an hour, while in another, the player climbs a set of stairs only to find their movement slowed to a stop. Wreden changes these features in the games in an attempt to make the game “playable”.

Wreden guides us through what seems to be a horribly personal journey as he addresses very heavy topics such as self-doubt and depression.

Pros
  • Extremely Powerful and Compelling Storytelling
  • The message is very deep and each play through offers something new
  • Very elegant and everything (the music, the story, the narration, etc.) just falls together perfectly
  • A unique game at a reasonable price tag

Cons
  • Its flashy or action packed as a lot of games and is more of a guided tour than a game. This isn’t
  • really a con for me but I figured I would put this here.
  • At 90 minutes per play through, its definitely on the shorter end of the scale
  • You might need a box of tissues once you’re done

Conclusion

This is one of the few games that made me wish I could forget everything and play it again. Having played and thoroughly enjoyed The Stanley Parable, I was extremely hyped for this and I can say, without hesitation, that it exceeded my expectations. The Beginner’s Guide is a short interactive story with a very deep message.

Rating: 9.5/10
Posted June 25, 2016. Last edited June 26, 2016.
Not as great after Kabam acquired it
Posted February 19, 2016.