Posted: Sep 4, 2017 @ 12:45pm
Updated: Sep 12, 2017 @ 9:00am

7/10

The game does not run on an overwhelming majority of Windows 10 systems. No use burying that lead. I've checked the Steam Community and a few external sites, and find this to be well documented. Some have been able to get Prototype to run with command line inputs and other, more elaborate, work around methods. After ensuring my drivers were up to date I attempted these methods. I have not been fortunate enough to meet success. Thus, buyer beware.

I played this on the 360 and looked forward to reliving it as well as taking on Prototype 2 (which is working for me, but many others resound the same problems as this title so be careful there too). My original score was 5/10. The game is a solid, well put together title. Nothing about it was terrible. The powers are well done and implemented. The controls were unique and once acclimated to handled well. It was an enjoyable experience, if not difficult at times, but pleasingly so. I gave an extra two points to the twist of the story. I posited the twist at the very beginning of the game, and it was fun to find it confirmed. I may be giving a middle of the road score out of a bit of bitterness. Being unable to enter into the game proper on modern operating systems overshadows all else.

Even so, I put together a collection of my memories. Read them here: https://zerohourseraphim.wordpress.com/2017/09/04/prototype/
Of course it wont run normally on shitty windows 10 just because this game was maded in 2009, so it's kinda old for this type of operational systems.
Otherwise, this game is one of the best in that kinds of genres.
PhantomTa2 Sep 24, 2017 @ 6:14pm
I would imagine it's the same fix, just that AMD uses SMT instead of HyperThreading. I'm assuming you are comfortable enough in your PC knowledge that you can use BIOS? If yes, just go into BIOS, find the settings for SMT/Hyperthreading, (I'll add the HT in case somebody with Intel reads this with the same issue), and turn it OFF . Save and Exit the BIOS and when your PC has finished booting up, try Prototype again.

Let me know how it goes. :satan: :mdhappy:

I recognise that you probably want the SMT being on, anyone with multiple cores does, so even though it's a royal PIA, Prototype isn't a massive game, so once you've completed the game to your satisfaction, don't forget to turn SMT/HT on again. Unless you keep switching it off then on again every time you're planning on playing the game
zerohourseraphim Sep 24, 2017 @ 2:55pm
@PhantomTa2, as far as processors? An AMD Ryzen.
PhantomTa2 Sep 23, 2017 @ 10:33pm
To be fair, it's pretty well known how to get this working on most newer systems. I assume you're running Intel, then?
zerohourseraphim Sep 12, 2017 @ 8:56am
To whom it may concern: As strange as a high rating is right under a "Not Recommended" I am keeping this review as is. I try to answer this question on the Steam product pages: "Is this game worth buying?" My answer here is "No." I know my reviews are lengthier than normal, even before the external links, but I think context is important. I've played this game and know it is good. It would get my recommendation here IF most people could get it to run. Out of the ninety or so games I own presently this is the only one that I can't run. Until that changes, I will stand by my review.

Thank you to Sterfor and Sarge especially for their input on this.
zerohourseraphim Sep 10, 2017 @ 4:27am
@Sterfor - I am taking your advice to heart. I feel I did review the game itself in the second paragraph, but the juxtaposition of not recommending an otherwise good game is a bit odd even to me. I'll give it some thought and re-evaluate this by days' end. Thank you.
Sterfor Sep 10, 2017 @ 3:10am
When there's an issue that varies from person to person I agree you should bring it to attention, but when it can still work for many people, and just in general, you should be reviewing the game, not issues people may have. That's just my opinion though.
zerohourseraphim Sep 9, 2017 @ 6:49pm
@Sarge - Thank you for the heads' up. I have tried older drivers since reading this to no avail.

@Water - Not at all. Prototype is a solid game, as I said. However, a majority of people will find getting the game to run tricky at best these days. The "Not Recommended" is regarding the inability to play the game rather than the content of the title itself.
scuti Sep 9, 2017 @ 12:20pm
so 7/10 means it's bad ?
bblzd.tv Sep 5, 2017 @ 1:43pm
With older games that have compatibility issues (such as this one) updated drivers tends to be the problem, as they were designed to run with drivers from many years back.