Recent reviews by Tomasety III

Fell Seal: Arbiter’s Mark is a turn-based strategy game with beautiful, hand-drawn visuals and challenging battles in the style of Final Fantasy Tactics.

The game's main features are excellent level design, a versatile and highly customisable class system, and unit progression with a strong emphasis on party management and an interesting player-friendly crafting option on top of it.

In my experience, even on the easiest difficulty setting there seems to be an unavoidable grind to build a party capable of beating the game.

In summary, an excellent indie SPRG and a worthy Final Fantasy Tactics spiritual successor.
Posted February 21. Last edited March 16.
I created this sentence review for the Steam 2021 Awards.
Posted November 24, 2021.
1,128.4 hrs on record (391.6 hrs at review time)
I created this sentence review for the Steam 2021 Awards.

After 3 months the game still feels like in closed beta meaning, it has too many issues yet to resolve, mainly bugs related.
Posted November 24, 2021. Last edited January 2.
Metro 2033 Redux is a remastered version of the famous story-driven, post-apocalyptic, atmospheric and very immersive FPS "Metro 2033." The game combines elements of survival horror, a bit of free exploration and stealth.

The narrative is sublime and remarkable as it's based on the internationally bestselling novel by Dmitry Glukhovsky.
The game offers two gameplay modes, "Spartan" and "Survival." "Spartan" features a more friendly and forgiving difficultly regarding ammo management and the stealth mechanism while "Survivor" is true to the original gameplay design of "Metro 2033" which focused on survival and resource management. This means you should think twice before shooting and only use ammo/mask filters whenever necessary.

Special effects include drops of water on the mask and different kinds of scratches on top of it whenever you take damage. This adds to the heavy atmosphere featured in the game.

Thanks to CheaplikeaFox (https://steamcommunity.com/id/cheaplikeafox/) for the Spanish to English translation.
Posted April 14, 2021. Last edited April 15, 2021.
A modern take on a retro twin stick shooter roguelite game which isn't as easy as I would have liked, even on "Easy" difficulty.
It's a game that requires quick reflexes so it might not be up to everyone's taste. Persistent character upgrades help alleviate the grinding likely required to beat the game by the average player.

CD key was provided by https://playtracker.net/
Posted January 24, 2021.
The Vanishing of Ethan Carter is a first-person story-driven mystery focused on exploration and discovery. In other words, the game is a thrilling walking simulator experience with great atmospheric immersion and a few touches of Lovecraftian elements in it.

The game offers only a few dialogue lines and limited NPC interactions, which are all part of puzzles solutions required to progress through the story.

The story is rather short, thus the game can be completed in a day if you feel like it and I believe this a positive aspect to keep in mind. There are no fillers or side missions to be done so everything matters and it makes sense once you start fitting different puzzle stories together hence getting the bigger picture of it.

The game offers some beautiful landscapes to stare at while walking through the different places thanks to the use of Unreal 4 engine.
Posted December 18, 2020. Last edited December 19, 2020.
ToeJam & Earl: Back to the Beat! is a charming, adorable and fun adventure-roguelite indie game which is in itself a very particular game, that is to say, it is not suitable for everyone's taste.

It is a true modern revision of the famous retro game called "ToeJam & Earl" from the Sega Genesis/Megadrive era.

The game consists of looking for the lost pieces of your spaceship while exploring the different randomly generated levels. To do this, the player has at his/her disposal the help of "gifts," which are basically elements with unknown properties and you discover those properties, both good and bad, as you progress through the levels/games. For example, one of the properties helps you kill enemy earthlings that stand in your way to obtain all the ship parts.

You start the game with 4 unlocked characters and you can unlock up to three more as well as certain special items after you finish the game in the different difficulty modes. Each character has its own basic stats that can be improved randomly by leveling up.

There are some good ground NPCs (earthlings) that can help you in many ways on your journey through the levels, such as by healing your HP bar or by revealing unknown "gifts."
Posted December 1, 2020. Last edited December 1, 2020.
1,077 people found this review helpful
3,626.5 hrs on record (2,933.2 hrs at review time)
I created this sentence review for the Steam 2020 Awards.
Posted November 25, 2020.
Darkest Dungeon is a Lovecraftian turn-based combat RPG game with a deep learning curve and an engaging narrator.

The game perfectly blends features seen in other type of games such as touches of rogue-lite elements (e.g permadeath on Hero units) and resource management aspects ("The Estate" or hub where we spend gold and other currencies to improve buildings among other things). And on top of all these features there's a bit of RNG or "luck" as you may want to call it.

Generally speaking, the gameplay consists of two main aspects: "The Estate" and "The Dungeon/Combat aspect"

First of all, we've got "The Estate" as we have already mentioned above where we recruit our units, improve buildings and buy items among many other small things we can also do here. This is where we plan our strategy out of combat, where we can see a sense of progression regardless of our heroes outcome in battle.

Second, the battle system. Once we choose a mission, up to 4 units and prepare ourselves with the items we might need for the upcoming battles and interactions, we enter in a sort of 2D dungeon crawling system with some rooms in it.
The battles require planning, you can't rush the dungeon by just using the same skill over and over. It might work at the beginning but that's not going to work in the long term.
On top of classic HP bars the game offers a new secondary bar called Stress. Stress is another form of survival in this game and its probably the most difficult feature to manage as a new player. Once a hero gets stressed enough he/she might get afflicted (negative condition) or sometimes, if you get lucky, virtuous (positive condition). If your Stress bar reaches the maximum value, that is 200, your hero dies by a heart attack. And once it dies, it dies for good. There's no revival or resurrection system in place to avoid this. This is where the rogue-lite and loss of progression comes into play.

The combat feels extremely satisfactory once you begin to understand how it works, how some heroes synergize better with others, and most importantly, which specific heroes to use, when and what skills to use in any of the 4 main regions (dungeons) at your disposal.

If Dark Souls created a unique sub genre for its one of a kind RPG style then Darkest Dungeon is no different than this. The game is not easy by any means. That being said, Darkest Dungeon could be probably be labelled as the Dark Souls turn-based combat game. It's a hard and an unforgiving game even when playing on the easiest difficult mode.

The narrator deserves a special mention. The voice acting is brilliant. From the tone to the emphasis used, he manages to perfectly describe every situation and convey an engaging story.

Frustration, a word to best describe Darkest Dungeon. You either hate it or love it, same as you would do with Dark Souls.

Special Thanks to Cheaplikeafox for
helping me with the English translation review.

-----
Edited:
At the time I wrote the review I had spent about 11 hours playing the game and I was not aware the game could lead to a certain degree of burn out due to the "forced" grinding.
I am not sure if a new player can skip the grinding by just following a guide, but I can't think of any other negative aspect of the game.
Posted June 27, 2020. Last edited July 11, 2020.
KF2 is the best cooperative FPS game you can buy on Steam at the moment, simply because Tripwire hasn't developed KF3 yet. There can't be a better game than KF2 if it doesn't exist first.

Is it a bit repetitive? Yes, for sure.
Is it fun? Yes, no doubt.

Can KF2 consume your soul? Yes, +480 hours confirm this.

Never a game gave me so much fun for so little money before.

---

Edit: 18/07/2020.

Due to recent changes in KF2 backend and practises posted on the following community thread https://steamcommunity.com/id/travathian/recommended/232090?snr=1_5_9__402
I cannot longer recommend the game.

Should Tripwire change their practises and acknowledge their mistakes for the lack of transparency alongside other privacy issues I shall then change the review rating. Until then, it will remain as no longer recommended.

I had Tripwire as one of my favourites developers but this honestly is just heartbreaking. I could have expected this approach from any other company but not them. I feel totally disappointed.
Posted November 22, 2017. Last edited July 18, 2020.