Recent reviews by Zombiecat

< 1  2  3  4  5 >
CA has outdid themselves this time, Three Kingdoms is a big improvement to the Total War series and a huge step in the right direction.

Improvements:
+Great optimization, game runs very well
+Story events are faithful to the traumatic period of Three Kingdoms and characters are very well fleshed out
+The Chinese voice acting is phenomenal
++Gameplay and AI is varied, every playthrough feels different
+++Deep town building and character management. Winning battles is only half the victory, better kingdom management will go a long way in winning the war.
+++Diplomacy that works and makes sense! This is a rarity in strategy games these days.

Now the not so good...
-English voice acting isn't the best
-Not much improvement in AI during battles
-The world map can be a confusing mess as everything can seem blended together

Closing thoughts:
This is the best Total War after Warhammer. I hope CA keeps some of the improvements(notably the diplomacy and the kingdom management) for their future titles.

There're already lots of reviews about Pathfinder:Kingmaker so I'll keep it short.
In short, every good thing you've heard about this game is true. Fully realised Pathfinder ruleset, enormous adventure, decisions truly matter, great setting and the next best 'dungeons and dragons style game' after Baldur's Gate.

Everything bad you've heard about this game is also true. Unbalanced encounters, poor pacing, bugs, loading times, questionable design choices.

But I would say the good far outweigh the bad. Proof is I just can't stop playing this game! If you liked Baldur's Gate you owe it to yourself to give this adventure a spin!
Posted May 19.
It's a blend of turn-based tactics and rogue like, which had me excited because these are genres I enjoy. The problem is, in execution the game just isn't any fun at all. The basic gameplay loop consists of you traveling through different nodes(like FTL) and trying to reach a destination. Random situations will occur and having the proper party setup and items will help you navigate through these events. The meat of the game though, is combat and this is where the entire game breaks down. There is just not enough depth. Combat boils down to you and your enemy shooting at each other behind cover until one or the other is dead. Holding strategic areas is meaningless as enemies can and will simply run up to you and shoot you, and many characters do not have overwatch abilities. Remember, they have numbers! While you cannot afford to let anyone die as you still have a long journey to make. The characters abilities are not very interesting either which contribute to the combat being too monotonous and formulaic. I decided I do not want to continue this repetitive gameplay loop and duly quit in the middle of combat.
Posted April 11.
1,550 people found this review helpful
In an era where full-priced games are filled to the brim with microtransactions, locked out content, or boring open worlds with equally boring cut-and-paste content, occasionally a gem like SEKIRO™: SHADOWS DIE TWICE comes along and reminds us why we play games in the first place.

Posted March 25.
The definition of a hidden gem.

Highly recommended for lovers of tactics/rogue-like games.
Posted December 28, 2018.
1 more turn please
Posted November 22, 2018.
I've been waiting for YEARS for a true successor to Simcity. This is it.
Posted September 9, 2018. Last edited September 9, 2018.
The "Dark Souls" of competitive shooters.
Posted August 26, 2018.
Do you like 1990 Sierra Entertainment's Jones in the Fast Lane? Stick to that.

While This Grand Life is clearly inspired by said game, the execution is absolutely awful. Everything from the UI, stat management and graphics feels anarchic and rough around the edges. Even the core gameplay is lacking and a chore to play. It's not fun and it's not ready for release.
Posted April 20, 2018. Last edited April 20, 2018.
It's better than Civilization VI.
Posted March 28, 2018.