0.0 hrs last two weeks / 230.0 hrs on record (214.6 hrs at review time)
Posted: Apr 17, 2016 @ 2:11am
Updated: Dec 13, 2018 @ 5:45pm

DayZ was what we all dream of when it comes to zombie survival games...

*May 13 edit located at the bottom*

The key words are "What we all dream of." It has zombies, loot scattered all over the place, a food/drink system, and shootouts with other players that can be a good deal of fun. But why is it only what we dream of? Bohemia has had this game on Steam pulling in $30 from every purchase from the last THREE YEARS TWO YEARS AND 4 MONTHS (as of this writing)!

This game hasn't moved anywhere forward but rather steps backwards. Their updates have been adding new guns and different clothing and cooking stuff etc... Without touching the bugs that have been present since the original launch of this game.

When reading the updates they seem like this: "Added AK-47. Removed zombies because they still do the same thing they have been doing for over three years."

Lets not forget that this runs on the best computer at a solid 30fps in large towns because the engine is just lacking in so many ways.

I'm sure I'm missing a lot more things about this game but I stopped caring when I realized this game isn't ever going to fully release. Do yourself a favor, get Arma 2 and DayZ mod for that, or get Arma 3 and play the mods for that. This game is a complete and utter waste of $30.

MAY UPDATE: So I gave their 0.60 experimental branch a whirl and I have to say there is a signifigant improvement to the engine and feel of the game. I am finally able to get over 60FPS steady in this game which is fantastic however clouds and AA is currently broken, when the .60 patch comes out, I will be playing this game again and will clean up and re-review my own review!

Just getting back to this for the first time in awhile, just disappointed with the game as a whole. 4+ years now and still not even out of Early Access. DayZ, your time has come and gone.

December 2018 edit: Still not a complete game. Don't waste your money still.
Sorrora May 15, 2016 @ 4:24pm
Cynaraos is correct. Before you go into a comment section please fact check yourself. This review is geared towards DayZ "standalone" which is fully developed under Bohemia. This is not a review for the mod on Arma 2 or related to any Arma 3 mod.
cynaraos May 15, 2016 @ 3:43pm
DayZ did start as a third party mod of Arma 2, but DayZ's intellectual property was bought by Bohemia Interactive for the standalone to be created.
basically, Bohemia owns DayZ.
Raghnailt May 15, 2016 @ 2:50pm
OR, at the very least, started as a mod to my recollection. I don't know the exact history thou.
Raghnailt May 15, 2016 @ 2:49pm
Arma 2 is Bohemia. DayZ is a mod of Arma 2.
Sorrora May 15, 2016 @ 8:57am
Uh what? This is a Bohemia game.
Raghnailt May 15, 2016 @ 5:53am
This ain't even Bohemia though.
Sorrora May 13, 2016 @ 1:55pm
Yeah I updated the review in regards to the engine update (v0.60x) and the good incorporated there. I may have to edit the review entirely when this is pushed to stable. Time will tell though. It was a lot more promising.
cynaraos May 13, 2016 @ 1:29pm
from what I've seen, a good bit of recent additions to DayZ have been simple content mostly because of a lot of programming development being done surrounding the engine of the game, with most work that has been done not being up to Bohemia's standards for public release yet.
Denied Apr 23, 2016 @ 12:01am
Same to you
Sorrora Apr 22, 2016 @ 11:48pm
Thanks for the mature conversation by the way :) I just felt that maybe my review was maybe a bit off putting without full information which you pried from me as well. When the game is complete, I'll be playing it again in hopes of what we all dream :)